PDA

View Full Version : Turkish SO positions. Are they joking?

pilotchute
11th Jul 2014, 08:13
I just read an advertisement for Turkish cruise pilots. Now to me "cruise pilot" means second officer. No take offs, no landings and no touching anything below transition altitude.

For this I would expect a minimum of maybe 1000 hours total time and a type rating of some description (Bus or Boeing) as I'm sure Turkish don't want to do a full type rating on you themselves.

Here are the advertised minimums to warm a seat on a long haul flight at Turkish,

Suitable candidates must also:
Be current on relevant aircraft (A330/A340/B777) within the last 6 months.
Hold a FAA/ICAO/JAA/EASA ATPL/ATPL(f).
Current First Class Medical.
2500 hours on aircraft over 27 tonnes, of which;
1000 hours should be on type (A330/A340/B777).
ICAO Level 4 English minimum.

I'm sure anyone with that type of experience would not be applying for a SO position or am I really that out of touch?

6f1
11th Jul 2014, 08:53
It appears the Turkish airlines recruitment team are living in a dream world.

NoJoy
11th Jul 2014, 09:28
You will be very surprised to know that you have people out there with these hours, eg P2F's, who are applying and hounding down there door.

yanbancypilot
11th Jul 2014, 11:21
P2F with 2500 over 27 Tons and 1000 on A330/340 B777... don't think so.
I think what they mean is Cruise Captains..still I don't think anyone will be ever considering as that would mean having their career screwed by the Turks as you will never meet their educational standard and intellectual acumen...:O
And even if you did.. they will send you to the back of the seniority list from one day to the other with no explanation as it happen to some friends of mine still there..but not for long.
Incredible.:mad:

RWY_31R
11th Jul 2014, 12:03
those hours seem excessive for the role. Thats more of a direct entry FO position, not cruise pilot :confused:

Kirks gusset
11th Jul 2014, 12:25
In reality on the LH fleets the FO does not get to fly much, unless the Captain is feeling particularly generous! the LH fleet will be operated augmented crew and the SO is actually an FO. Just sit in business class, eat well, sleep well, do very little and get paid.. although there are " rumours" that the flight duty pay may be factored according to your actual times at the controls (or rather in the RHS).
You may be surprised how many applications they have from guys wanting to escape the sand pits. Personal choices...:)

AMS
11th Jul 2014, 13:28
No doubt there will be some :mad: that will have dad's money for a P2F and no sense to apply for that......

oh and then post pics on facebook when in uniform. :ugh:

silverknapper
11th Jul 2014, 19:21
Agree they are kidding themselves.

But I do remember 10 years ago. The minimums for Cathay at the time for cruise pilot were in the region of 1000 hrs turbine. But the guys getting the jobs were all far more experienced. Not on heavy stuff such as this asks for but there were guys from easy and Ryan going over as well as 4000 hr turboprop skippers.

Now admittedly back then Cathay was hopefully the land of milk and honey which we all know THY isn't. But it was an eye opener what people would do to get on to the ladder at big player.

flaps35
11th Jul 2014, 22:34
Check their website they are not looking for second officers.
This advertisement is false at all.I am reading every day the turkish aviation news and the pilot vacants in Turkey.

pilotchute
13th Jul 2014, 00:51
It appears Sigma have modified their ad which now says "First Officers" .

Turkish only use the best agents!

Then again they probably just put an ad up and then contact Turkish if they find anyone stupid enough to go there!

porkflyer
13th Jul 2014, 14:17
Kirk not a single FO has left a Gulf carrier to join THY. Come one.. be real who wants its career screwed by a bunch of morons hiding behind a "college" degree?
What they are getting are those that did not make it there, plus some P2F idiots and some kids with no experience at all . Even the few local pilots that have the necessary skills keep leaving to DXB and AUH and that says it all. .This is what I hear. The day they will learn....still not on calendar yet...

Microburst2002
15th Jul 2014, 16:42
If there were pilots leaving the sandpits, the explosive expansion they are having would not be possible.

In fact, there is an exodus of pilots from all over the world to the sandpits, mainly to EK and EY. The QR case is special.

Kirks gusset
15th Jul 2014, 21:26
Porky, you may be right, I merely said "applications" frying pan/ fire comes to mind:)

porkflyer
16th Jul 2014, 18:04
Frying pans and fire comes to your mind? You must be hungry !! I have plenty of friends FOs working in the ME and no one has ever considered leaving for or even applied to THY. They all have previous command and could join also as DEC on 737 but rest assured that my experience dissuaded them. Imagine if they would consider a career as FO in THY. They really need to get real and embrace modernity and industry standards and drop their chauvinism or keep digging at the bottom of the pit...