PDA

View Full Version : How serious is torn (or frayed) tape on a wing?

Quartz-1
10th Jul 2014, 12:50
On a recent trip I had an over-the-wing window seat and looking out of the window I noted that when the slats deployed on landing there was torn and frayed tape underneath. I reported this to the cabin crew as I left and they referred me to the pilots. I told them and they said that they would get their maintenance crew to look at it. How serious is torn tape?

KBPsen
10th Jul 2014, 14:30
Not serious at all. Just use of the word serious is seriously overdoing it. Seriously.

Station_Calling
10th Jul 2014, 14:32
If it's the tape that holds the wings on, then potentially very serious as either one, or both wings could fall off. Good job to get it checked ;-)

Mark in CA
10th Jul 2014, 15:48
Not as serious as a rubber band snapping in one of the engines. ;)

ExXB
10th Jul 2014, 15:54
Quartz-1.

I suggest you do a search for 'speed tape'. You'll get a better answer than those you've had so far.

No, not dangerous but if it's come lose it should be seen to, one of these days ...

S.o.S.
10th Jul 2014, 17:31
Hi Quartz-1 and thanks for asking. Some of our regulars here have been a little too light hearted with someone fairly new to our 'cabin' ...

When 'Speed tape' is applied to an aircraft, it is noted in the maintenance log and should be noted by the flight crew.

Passengers should always ask about anything they are unsure of.

KBPsen
10th Jul 2014, 18:14
You've never seen a log book, have you pb?

Exup
10th Jul 2014, 19:46
Never knew fight crew noted maint actions in the log, always thought that was the engineers job.

rgsaero
10th Jul 2014, 20:21
When I first saw the thread title i wondered what the poster had been flying on. Had be been on a Dragon Rapide, last used on the Scilly Isles - Lands End service, frayed tape could have been VERY serious! When I was a passenger on those wonderful services, though, perhaps we wouldn't have been too worried if it was frayed tape on one wing as there were three more wings to keep us airborne!

S.o.S.
10th Jul 2014, 23:36
Apologies - I should have said the Maintenance staff will update the relevant documentation. The substantive point is that Speed Tape is widely used.

Tinwacker
11th Jul 2014, 03:12
Other than high speed tape, which is not serious, I also wonder if what you saw was maybe a slat seal that had frayed, this would look a touch ragged after numerous slat operations..again not too serious but certainly time for some active maintenance and inspection.

BOAC
11th Jul 2014, 07:22
Quartz - hope you have not given up in disgust here, but as S o S says - good for you
a) Noticing and
b) Telling someone

In my time I would have welcomed your observation. You never know. Keep on truckin. Try to ignore the odd buffoon here.

it is noted in the maintenance log and should be noted by the flight crew.- absolutely correct - two slightly different meanings of 'noted' escaped some here.

poke53281
13th Jul 2014, 10:32
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a1d_1404247441

Pom Pax
13th Jul 2014, 14:00
Once watched fabric tearing itself off an Anson wing, still kept flying.

EEngr
14th Jul 2014, 00:28
On a Sopwith Camel, I'd suspect it was pretty serious.

Piltdown Man
15th Jul 2014, 11:59
I'll take a guess that what you saw was some aerodynamic sealing tape that was falling apart. It's job is to make the wing more efficient when these devices are stowed, sealing any gaps between it an its neighbour. I would appreciate being told about it so I could enter it as a deficiency in the paperwork. I wouldn't expect a quick fix unless a huge chunk was coming loose and it is quite likely the aircraft would fly for a few weeks after being reported, but it should be looked at before the next departure.

However, I disagree with SoS in so much that this was "speed tape" (AKA "instant airframe" or "airframe on a roll") as this stuff has no cloth substrate, unlike duct tape. Speed tape is basically aluminium tape with a sticky backing. It had many uses including sealing holes, wiring for doll's houses, keeping passenger's baggage in one piece, providing a barrier to protect curing sealant, etc. But when it is used externally and fails, it normally just pings off; it rarely flaps about.

Quartz-1
22nd Aug 2014, 20:26
Hopefully it's not too late for a follow-up, but do pilots check for this in their pre-flight check? As I recall, slats are initially deployed during take-off, at which time everyone is seated, and if I were to press the buzzer to call the cabin crew to alert them, wouldn't it be ignored? And as for loudly exclaiming, "Excuse me, but could you please come and check the wing?", well... :)

ETA: And thanks for all the serious and not-so-serious replies.

Dan Winterland
23rd Aug 2014, 03:56
If there's any speed tape on the airframe then it will be in the tech log as a temporary repair. Where I fly, there's always an inspection schedule - usually every turnaround at base. We always check the condition of the speed tape and I get it changed if there's any fraying. If it's a rubber sealing strip, then it should be removed and the aircraft dispatched under the Configuration Deviation List if allowed. The pilots will have to know about this as there may be a fuel burn penalty.

The bit of video shows a missing panel with the hole covered in speed tape - allowed for some panels. However, the language sounds like Tagalog or Bhasa, so I suspect this is Lion Air from the cowling colour. If it's Indonesia, who knows!

longer ron
23rd Aug 2014, 06:25
I had a pilot some years ago who asked me what was causing the chafing marks on one of the flap vanes...he thought I was taking the pi55 when I said -''its being caused by the anti chafe tape'' :)

I then ripped off that section of tape from under the wing (it was hanging loose) and fixed the problem - after the horse had bolted of course :).

Naturally the tape gets replaced on servicings but the adhesive is not oil proof LOL

Yeelep
23rd Aug 2014, 14:02
Quartz-1, what aircraft type were you on?
Generally any fraying fabric on blade or bulb seals is a non issue. Its purpose is to decrease friction and therefore wear between the seal and whatever its sealing against. Usually we will defer it till heavy check.
Not aware of any fabric backed tape used on the exterior of any airliner.

The missing access cover in the video is a item that can be CDL'd. The tape they used looks like it may be aluminum foil tape, not what is considered speed tape.

Quartz-1
23rd Aug 2014, 16:15
I was on a twin engine (one per wing) passenger jet. It was an Easyjet flight, so whatever they fly.