PDA

View Full Version : Wings over Norfolk

RedhillPhil
9th Jul 2014, 14:16
This one passed me by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=US74bAu4wTM#t=4

BEagle
9th Jul 2014, 22:25
Most of the aerodrome shots in 'Conflict of Wings' were filmed in 1953 at RAF Leconfield, although RAF West Raynham was also used in the final cut.

In the days when we had an air force, before the advent of infernal cabbage kit when RAF personnel wore blues.

Nice to hear English spoken properly too, rather than the wretched yoofspeak of today.

Terry McCassey
13th Jul 2014, 13:24
Good also to see a wonderful old Lancaster outside the hangar at 1 hour, 17.mins, 47 secs.

Auster Fan
19th Jul 2014, 20:14
Great little film that deserves wider recognition. I'd love to get hold of a DVD copy but I don't think there's one available...

Tinwacker
19th Jul 2014, 22:47
Thanks for keeping me up to watch this memory lane film, GMT +7
Great to see so many old Vampires flying, some of my early aircraft training was on sections of Vampire bodies - wooden bits too....:ok:

TW

srobarts
20th Jul 2014, 08:56
Auster Fan
Found this by Google by it is one to avoid:
CONFLICT OF WINGS 1954 JOHN GREGSON MURIEL PAVLOW DVD (http://www.raremovies-uk.co.uk/conflict-of-wings-x281954x29-john-gregson-muriel-pavlow-dvd-650-p.asp)
See BEagle's post below about the v poor quality of this DVD from this supplier.

WATB
21st Jul 2014, 20:54
My father flew Lincoln "H" of the Central Gunnery School RAF Leconfield to RAF Horsham St. Faith on 28 September 1953. There they took on board two camera men (Messrs. Curtiss & Golding) to film what his log book describes as "Target Film Runs for Conflict of Wings". They then flew back home for tea on the same day.

BEagle
25th Jul 2014, 23:40
Do NOT buy the movie from the source identified by srobarts!

I did - and it's a heap of junk:uhoh:. What you get is a copy on DVD with appallingly bad sound quality, blurred imagery and washed out colour. The DVD isn't even delivered in a proper case - it comes loose in a polypropylene sleeve with a printed cover to fit a normal DVD case....

Thankfully, I've still got a much better copy made from TV years ago.

I can't be bothered to send the DVD back for a refund; in any case someone else might later buy it. So it'll be in next week's recycling....

Hopefully there'll be a good quality version released one of these days...:(

srobarts
26th Jul 2014, 12:02
Humble apologies BEagle for the bum info. Will edit my post.

PPRuNe Pop
26th Jul 2014, 13:47
I tried it and found it very poor.

Can't think of anything else to say about it really.

BEagle
26th Jul 2014, 13:57
srobarts, not your fault, chap - I just wanted to warn people about the source which you posted in undoubtedly good faith.

I got home last night after a week away, to find that the DVD had arrived. So I played it.....what a POS! It's now in two pieces in the recycling.

At least the printed cover is now on a DVD case containing my from-TV copy. Which I cannot distribute to anyone else for obvious copyright reasons, so please, no PMs!

Wander00
26th Jul 2014, 14:38
Best "Wings over Norfolk" was The Major when he (fairly frequently) flew a Spitfire over Little Snoring. Thanks for the memories..................