PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet robbing b*******

Pilotinmydreams
8th Jul 2014, 13:18
I'm not usually one to knock Easy - they provide a product at a certain price and you get what you pay for but my latest experience with them really does take the biscuit.

I had flights booked for 5 of us, including the Mother in Law to fly to Alicante later this month. My mother in law had an accident last week and tragically blinded herself and as a result, we now can't take our trip.

I called Easy to explain and as per their T&Cs they of course can't refund our booking. I can't really gripe about that as it's clearly stated but if i'm being pernickety it would have been nice if they had shown a bit of compassion and at least allowed me to have it as a credit so we could take the flight next year when she will not be at risk of infection in her eyes.

I was told when I cancelled that I would get an email confirming the cancellation - nothing showed up. In order to claim on the insurance I need a letter stating that the flights have been cancelled so I have just called up and asked for it.... and this is what really gets my goat. Easy want £10 to send me the letter!! They are getting my full fare in their pocket and will no doubt rebook someone else in my seats and they still have the balls to ask for another £10 off of me!

I've travelled plenty of times with Easy - as I say, you get what you pay for but this I certainly did not expect. Last time I ever go anywhere near them.

strake
8th Jul 2014, 13:59
Firstly, very sorry to hear about your Mother-in-Law, it must be a bad shock to the family.
I'm not sure I understand why your insurance company want a letter stating you've cancelled your flights. It must be obvious to them from medical evidence that you can't go. However, what happens if you go to your account online with Easy Jet - does it show there that the flights are cancelled? If it does, take a screenshot, paste it to Paint, save it and copy the image into a letter to the insurance company. It's proof enough I would have thought.

sapperkenno
8th Jul 2014, 14:14
They are a business, and have T&Cs which cover them, as you rightly point out. Unfortunately, it's the way of the world and they owe you nothing.

Jet2 had always done alright out of my family since starting operations out of Leeds, and got a lot of our business. They screwed us over twice... Once when my mum had to cancel a holiday to attend a doctors appointment (it was potentially something serious) and the second time a few months later when it turned out it was something serious, which went down hill fast, and she couldn't travel. When dealing with my bereavement a few months later, I thought about chasing the :mad: up, but realised they wouldn't care anyway, and their T&Cs would have covered them. Tough :mad:. I did trawl through their info online to see, but gave in as it wound me up.

All I do now, is put it down to bad luck, and favour traveling on other airlines - being a little bitter towards them. It's hardly their fault, but it irks me to think that they wouldn't have given us a refund regardless of our unfortunate circumstances.

All these low fares outfits are up to the same tricks. If you pay them your money knowing this, then that's the risk you take.

Pilotinmydreams
8th Jul 2014, 14:44
Thankfully I think i've now sorted it with the insurance company so all good there.

It's not the fact that they won't entertain a refund - as I said and others have pointed out, it's in their T&Cs so although it's rather low on their part given the circumstances, quite within their rights. It's the fact that they want to charge and EXTRA £10 just to send a letter saying that they have cancelled the flight which I think is just about as low as it gets. Being honest, the insurance would probably cover the £10 as well but it's the principal of the thing.

Curious Pax
11th Jul 2014, 14:22
Just to demonstrate that some airlines deal with it differently. When my mother was terminally ill last summer I had to cancel a trip on bmi regional. One short phone call to them, and 5 minutes later the necessary email was in my inbox that I could pass on to the insurance company. No fuss, no stress, no charge - couldn't have asked for more.

Hipennine
11th Jul 2014, 15:29
You want to try getting evidence of cancellation out of KLM, then you'll know what a real challenge is !

crewmeal
12th Jul 2014, 06:37
It's the fact that they want to charge and EXTRA £10 just to send a letter saying that they have cancelled the flight which I think is just about as low as it gets. Being honest, the insurance would probably cover the £10 as well but it's the principal of the thing.

Many companies will charge you for a letter these days from banks to doctors. If you go overdrawn at the bank without permission for example, its usually £25 or more whether you like it or not. It's just a part of the culture of rip off Britain.

Hotel Tango
12th Jul 2014, 08:52
You want to try getting evidence of cancellation out of KLM, then you'll know what a real challenge is !

Hmm, might depend on the circumstances then, because I never had any problems on the two occasions I've had to cancel with them.

Justin Cyder-Belvoir
12th Jul 2014, 16:43
I had a major illness and Virgin changed my flights free: guess who is a loyal Virgin customer?