PDA

View Full Version : What is a celebrity?

Effluent Man
6th Jul 2014, 06:55
I ask the question seriously in view of the thread ban.Obviously includes singers,dancers etc. In the doctor's on Friday I noticed a copy of OK magazine.I have heard of Peter Andre,he is married to the tart with the big tits and the small intellect but the rest of those featured I had never heard of,or indeed want to hear of.Are politicians celebrities? I really don't know.

Is this ban just a small part of the rank closing predicted once things got close to those with real power?

SMT Member
6th Jul 2014, 07:04
A celebrity is someone who is known for being famous, but not necessarily in possession of any special talents - apart front the talent of having a fortunate bone structure. In order to identify such persons, you have to surrender your life and become an addict to certain media outlets.

sitigeltfel
6th Jul 2014, 07:09
Jimmy Savile, Rolf Harris et al. were celebrities.

500N
6th Jul 2014, 07:09
Someone who has the ability to sue this forum ?

I don't know why you bother arguing about it, the owners /mods are not going to change the decision so crack on enjoying JB without it.

main_dog
6th Jul 2014, 07:26
A celebrity is defined as a person you are not allowed to discuss on Jetblast

:}

ExXB
6th Jul 2014, 07:33
I am not a celebrity, although I cannot prove it. That means you may talk about me on Jet Blast, but only to the point I become famous because I am being talked about.

Please do not reply to this post, it could make me famouser than I really am. Thank you.

Wholigan
6th Jul 2014, 07:47
Is this ban just a small part of the rank closing predicted once things got close to those with real power?

Nope, definitely can't get enough conspiracy theories in here can you?

The fact is that such threads take an awful lot of time and effort moderating, and they frequently get really close to putting PPRuNe on the line legally with some of the more preposterous statements made by people who are a bit like Winnie the Pooh (as in a bear of little brain). Some of these statements actually regularly cross that line.

As the site can't be moderated 24/7 (even I need sleep sometimes) then these statements could be picked up and acted upon before they can be deleted by your terribly hard working and totally dedicated mods. ;):E

So forget your conspiracies and accept that they are more trouble to PPRuNe than they are worth, and if you really really reeeeeally neeeeeeed to discuss such things then go to places like celebritygossip.com!!!

Oh and PS conspiracy theorists ....... the missing paedophile dossier thread is still running. So much for rank closing eh?

sitigeltfel
6th Jul 2014, 07:49
I am not a celebrity

I am..........to my dogs anyway ;)

ExXB
6th Jul 2014, 08:03
I am..........to my dogs anyway ;)

Well, the cats kinda like me too, around feeding time.

SpringHeeledJack
6th Jul 2014, 08:04
Mr Wholigan, I appreciate your points about legality and/or mind-numbing workload having to trawl through every post especially on long threads that whip up heated discussion and emotion. Are threads regarding the demise of a well known person also banned for example ? Politicians ? Or is it just specifically things such as celebrity gossip/nonsense ? :8

SHJ

500N
6th Jul 2014, 08:08
" made by people who are a bit like Winnie the Pooh (as in a bear of little brain)."

Wholigan,

That is defamatory and casting JB posters in a bad light !
You"ll be sued.

:O

Lon More
6th Jul 2014, 08:14
Legends in their own minds

bedsted
6th Jul 2014, 08:14
By definition, is ‘a famous person, especially in entertainment or sport’

So I guess the ban includes F1 driver’s in the F1 thread.

Effluent Man
6th Jul 2014, 08:16
Well my OP was in all seriousness.I fail to see how those involved on the previous threads could possibly have any claim as they have been convicted .

Wholigan
6th Jul 2014, 08:16
SHJ - I guess it's going to be a matter of trial and error really.

As you know, a thread that starts as "Sorry to see that Sir Arbuthnot Funkeltrumpet has died. He did so much for the country in terms of raising awareness of the need to have chickens properly trained to lay perfectly round eggs." etc can sometimes stay as a factual discussion of an interesting person and his/her achievements and legacy. However, such threads can and do frequently descend to the depths of idiocy in rapid order.

I suppose the message is really "don't get too peed off when your pet topic gets culled and don't start any blatantly obvious rubbish threads about rubbish people".

Wholigan
6th Jul 2014, 08:17
None of them had been convicted when the original threads were started.

So I guess the ban includes F1 driver’s in the F1 thread.

Are you asking that as a serious question or just having a laugh???????

G&T ice n slice
6th Jul 2014, 08:24
your terribly hard working and totally dedicated mods

Sorry, I thought the correct title was/is:

"your terribly hard working, good-looking, super-intelligent, charismatic and totally dedicated mods"

I may have missed some other bits as well, can't remember everything these days.

Wholigan
6th Jul 2014, 08:26
Ah yes, don't forget "overpaid"................

cavortingcheetah
6th Jul 2014, 08:30
Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice Davis were celebrities once upon a time but the newspapers categorised them, professionally speaking, as prostitutes.

Tankertrashnav
6th Jul 2014, 08:31
When there were rules on display in Jet Blast,

On a more general point, why was it decided to remove the sticky concerning ROE from the top of JB? It used to be quite handy, and it's my impression that people now only have a very hazy idea of what they are, if indeed they know that they exist. Can we have them back please?

Effluent Man
6th Jul 2014, 08:33
I do appreciate the difficulties involved in moderation.However the JS thread originally began as a tribute to him.I rememmber a few of us antis getting pilloried on the early pages for suggesting that he was anything less than some kind of saint.

mikedreamer787
6th Jul 2014, 08:33
I saw the celeb sticky last night
about 1 min after it was put up.

5min later the Rolf Harris thread
was removed.

I saw nothing slanderous in the
RH thread - most posts were in
to the facts with few comments
about disappointment, how he
shouldna done it etc.

...I agree that its most likely to
simply cover IB's legal arse. In
my opinion, anyone in the public
domain such as celebs are open
game so long as statements are
backed up by sources and facts.

Maybe we'll have to post in some
way of new code that stays within
strict legalities - like does anyone
want to comment about Flor Sirrah?

And by all means YES - bring back
the RoE to the top of the page so
no one crosses the line or cops a
kick in the arse, gets banned etc.

david1300
6th Jul 2014, 08:39
Sorry, I thought the correct title was/is:

"your terribly hard working, good-looking, super-intelligent, charismatic and totally dedicated mods"

I may have missed some other bits as well, can't remember everything these days.

I agreed with all the above, but I'm considering a wildcat strike in the light of Wholigans admission of being overpaid - maybe I'll demand equal rights for us non-celebs:p

And to the OP :{:{

Effluent Man
6th Jul 2014, 08:43
Sorry I don't understand those little face thingies.Seldomfit went through a phase of finger waving ones.I prefer to use language on the whole,it is far more expressive and clear.

UniFoxOs
6th Jul 2014, 08:48
Regarding dead people - I am under the impression that you can not slander/libel a dead person, therefore they can't sue you, so presumably no reason to delete them. (Unless they are just boring waffle, of course).

Maybe one of our legal eagles could confirm this?

Wholigan
6th Jul 2014, 08:50
You guys don't realise just how lucky you are!

I'm frequently being told "just slash and burn" but it's not my style, as I prefer to give some form of explanation. That usually includes when someone is warned off or banned.

Sometimes though I wonder why the heck I bother and why I don't just take the advice to "just slash and burn", when everybody becomes an expert who could do things so much better when I do bother to explain.

Sigh. Ho hum just sit back and count the pay checks I suppose.

mikedreamer787
6th Jul 2014, 08:53
IIRC in some countries the
immediate family of a dead
person can sue - as long as
the person remains dead.

Effluent Man
6th Jul 2014, 09:02
Wholigan, I think you are taking it personal like.I don't think anything was directed at you.discussing the whys and the wherefores though is surely acceptable.Is it not?

SpringHeeledJack
6th Jul 2014, 09:02
I'm frequently being told "just slash and burn" but it's not my style, as I prefer to give some form of explanation. That usually includes when someone is warned off or banned.

I'm sure that many of us appreciate your more reasoned approach to the sometimes baffling machinations across the whole site. Even if 'we' use pprune for free, 'we' are the product and therefore should warrant a modicum of courtesy, and in this regard you are number 1 :D:ok: (gratuitous use of smileys)

SHJ

dubbleyew eight
6th Jul 2014, 09:15
Sigh. Ho hum just sit back and count the pay checks I suppose.

I'm thinking you aren't paid :E

Wholigan
6th Jul 2014, 09:16
Nah not really taking it personally, just a mild venting of frustration which is a luxury I can rarely afford myself.

As far as discussing the whys and wherefores you could say it was pretty pointless in a way, given the statement in the rule thread above that

the policy will not change through complaints

but feel free to continue in here, I'll just sit quietly in the corner sucking my thumb. ;)

mikedreamer787
6th Jul 2014, 09:20
the policy will not change through complaints

What about if we try bitching
and moaning instead then?

Wholigan
6th Jul 2014, 09:21
That might have some effect ................... :E:E:E

B Fraser
6th Jul 2014, 09:23
Ho hum just sit back and count the pay checks I suppose.

....while looking forward to the day when the sum of all things reimbursed exceeds £0.00 Best check the snow forecast for hell :(

Does anyone want to buy a landscape portrait by an infamous Australian artist ? Can you tell what it is yet ?

:E

http://www.ancient-tree-forum.org.uk/ancient-tree-forum/atfgallery/galleryartists/alanbennett/images/alanb3lge.jpg

dubbleyew eight
6th Jul 2014, 09:54
you've lost me...

Some places seem to have or promote a strong spiritual atmosphere and people have always sensed a magical influence from trees. I have been making paintings and drawings of trees and landscape all my life and recently felt a special resonance with a small woodland called Tycanol, close to the west coast of Wales. Also with Windsor Great Park and the ancient Ankerwycke Yew nearby.

With the Tycanol Wood paintings I have made, the rhythmic forms of the old and stunted oaks are, in part, shaped by the wind blowing off the sea. The title of one of these pictures makes note of this and the title of another, 'The Oaktops Entangle' came from a line from a poem by Robert Graves called 'Battle of the Trees'. The air quality in Tycanol Wood is also very clean and makes it possible for many varieties of lichen and moss to grow on trees and rocks alike - A great delight for me and factor which was an aid in the unifying of the colours and textures of these paintings.

MadsDad
6th Jul 2014, 10:02
statements made by people who are a bit like Winnie the Pooh (as in a bear of little brain)

Oy, I resemble that remark (although I'm:-

a. Not a celebrity (merely a legend in my own lunchtime)
b. Late to the party, as usual.

Tankertrashnav
6th Jul 2014, 16:36
Wholigan - any response to my question about having the ROE sticky back? Seems pretty uncontroversial and it would be helpful.

lomapaseo
6th Jul 2014, 16:44
a celebrity is a person in the news rather than a message and as such is sure to invoke discussions on their personal attributes or lack.

lots of luck in deciding on the line to be crossed in everybody's mind :)

Capetonian
6th Jul 2014, 16:44
Generally the more column space the 'celebrity' has in the Daily Fail, and the more vacuous and insignificant they are, the greater their status. Those trailer trash Armenian USAmerican scum with big arses are living proof of that.

Effluent Man
6th Jul 2014, 17:14
That one made me chuckle Capester.My son and myself while watching the WC decided on the law of ratio between how tinpot a country and how pompous the anthem.

Capetonian
6th Jul 2014, 17:19
the law of ratio between how tinpot a country and how pompous the anthem.There's another along the same lines. The more tinpot a country is, the larger and more colourful their visa/entry stamps in your passport are likely to be, and often so over-inked that they run through several pages, infuriating. I have had to renew passports that were full due to this.

Effluent Man
6th Jul 2014, 18:21
Headgear of their Generals/Scrambled egg on their Admirals?

Wholigan
6th Jul 2014, 18:59
TTN - I'm having a look at the rules again. I'll let you know.

10Watt
6th Jul 2014, 19:20
The sort of people you`d want to listen to.

Lily Allen, bless her cotton socks, on Desert Island Discs ?

Not really for me.

The term "celebrity" is woefully misused. It conjures up, in my mind,

people with a little mystique and a full life behind them.

Would you want to listen to them ? I would.

keel beam
6th Jul 2014, 19:25
"I am..........to my dogs anyway ;)"

So that is why I have seen no postings by your dogs

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Jul 2014, 19:57
One class of 'celebrity' was quite well defined by Lily herself

25QrnxD-NB4

A real celebrity is usually described by the word 'celebrated', as with "Anna Netrebko, the celebrated singer", rather than just the word celebrity, which seems to be used because there is nothing they are actually celebrated for. My personal bugbear is "personality", which seems to mean "not yet a celebrity", because they certainly don't seem to have a personality, much less a likeable one.

OFSO
6th Jul 2014, 20:15
as long as the person remains dead.

It's rare that I see something on JB that makes me sit up and reach for my magnifying glass to read it the better - but this did. Are there cases of people NOT remaining dead after having died ? I think we should be told.*

* Yes, I know, Holy Father, but I wasn't thinking of that single case.

tony draper
6th Jul 2014, 20:28
You talking about Captain Scarlet?:rolleyes:

probes
6th Jul 2014, 20:53
Sorry I don't understand those little face thingies.Seldomfit went through a phase of finger waving ones.I prefer to use language on the whole,it is far more expressive and clear.
what a relief to see someone still believes in human ability to use language for clarifying things! :E
btw, real facial expressions could be as confusing as smileys anyway.

P.S - don't forget the silver lining! - if one limits oneself's yellow education to DailyWail and not absolutely daily at that, then one gets educated about who was/is a celebrity when the thread has been deleted? :8
P.P.S - as Archie Goodwin would say: you can't have a silver lining without a cloud.

Windy Militant
6th Jul 2014, 21:19
There was a radio show and I think it was briefly broadcast simultaneously on television called "In Town Tonight"
It ran for many years and featured Film stars, Captains of Ocean liners and generally people who had done something of note.
Nowadays people are feted for behaving in a manner which when I was a lad I'd get a clip round the year and be told to stop showing off.:ouch:

500N
6th Jul 2014, 21:25
Nowadays people are feted for behaving in a manner which when I was a lad I'd get a clip round the year and be told to stop showing off.

+ 1 :ok: :D

Paris Hilton and her side kick being a good example.
Justin Bieber being another very good example.

Effluent Man
6th Jul 2014, 21:41
Paris Hilton a her? Is this the French custom for allocating gender to inanimate objects? A hotel now.

500N
6th Jul 2014, 21:44
Isn't that her name ?????

Or have I got mixed up ?

superq7
6th Jul 2014, 21:54
Paris Hilton is a her and a heir !

Paris Hilton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Hilton)

pigboat
6th Jul 2014, 22:09
Paris may be a Hilton but she @#$%^ like a Motel 6.

500N
6th Jul 2014, 22:10
That I agree with.

Tankertrashnav
6th Jul 2014, 22:45
Paris Hilton a her? Is this the French custom for allocating gender to inanimate objects? A hotel now.

Effluent man - last time I looked un hôtel was masculine!

TTN - I'm having a look at the rules again. I'll let you know.

Thanks Wholigan :ok:

racedo
6th Jul 2014, 22:49
Pointless waste of Oxygen.

B Fraser
7th Jul 2014, 05:40
you've lost me...

errrrrrr....ummmmmmm...it's a painting of a yew tree ..... as in operation Yewtree where an artist is now banged up at Her Majesty's pleasure.

500N
7th Jul 2014, 05:52
Funniest looking Yew tree I have ever seen.

goudie
7th Jul 2014, 08:48
If there were no so called 'celebrities', TV, the tabloids, magazines, chat shows et al, would be bereft of people to write about and talk to. They need a constant supply of these people on which to feed, so they constantly keep them in the public eye, to keep the bored masses happy.
'Desert Island Discs' is one of the few places to listen to interesting people
IMHO.

AtomKraft
7th Jul 2014, 09:02
I read today that Vanessa Phelps has now come forward to complain that Rolf Harris molested her.

Bloody hell, he really is a pervert!

Capetonian
7th Jul 2014, 09:08
Security of tenure guaranteed for at least 4 years whilst previous 'celebrity' occupant enjoys government provided accommodation.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7593647/hersham01.JPG

or a little more upmarket :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7593647/hersham02.JPG

Miserlou
7th Jul 2014, 09:09
Celebrity could mean "very super famous"
Very super funny.

https://www.youtube.com/=Fi6Ddd6eRqM

603DX
7th Jul 2014, 09:37
Celebrities are persons who impress themselves, and can afford expensive lawyers to protect their opinions ... :rolleyes:

Tankertrashnav
7th Jul 2014, 15:14
Wholigan - I see the ROE have come back to the top of the page - thanks.

Now to re-read them and inwardly digest ;)

Krystal n chips
7th Jul 2014, 16:47
" A celebrity is someone who is known for being famous, but not necessarily in possession of any special talents - apart front the talent of having a fortunate bone structure. In order to identify such persons, you have to surrender your life and become an addict to certain media outlets.

Hence the only reason for the Beebs " The One Show".....as applicable to the non-entities appearing as guests as to the presenters.

Thankfully, the "off" switch option aside, there is a much more enjoyable alternative at the same time.....C4 News

Mind you, there are a few on here who perceive themselves as being a celebrity....and rarely miss the opportunity to promote themselves in this light.

Effluent Man
7th Jul 2014, 17:15
Not just me then.When that awful blary trumpet music starts it's the signal to switch to True Entertainment for vintage M*A*S*H*

goudie
7th Jul 2014, 17:40
True Entertainment for vintage M*A*S*H*

Now you're talking!:ok:

Windy Militant
7th Jul 2014, 17:44
Ooh Ooh I've been on the One Show does that make me a celebrity :8

OK actually It was only my tie that was on the One Show. I loaned them a thermal imager a few years ago to do a piece on no smoking day. One of the shots in the piece showed the TIC with me in the background.
Warning Aviation content: it was my DH 98 tie, covered in Mosquitos :p

goudie
7th Jul 2014, 18:23
I reckon half the nation is on tv at any one time, being watched by the other half.

I did once have a spot on a Fiona Bruce programme, about dodgy doctors. Should I claim celebrity status? After all my name was on Fiona's lips, as she spoke of me:ooh:

lomapaseo
7th Jul 2014, 18:49
Lots are celebrities for short periods of time. I was once starring on TV news in Taiwan after an impromptu speech. Of course I never could understand what I was saying translated in chinese.

thing
7th Jul 2014, 18:57
I did once have a spot on a Fiona Bruce programme, about dodgy doctors. Should I claim celebrity status? After all my name was on Fiona's lips,

Ah, Goddess Fiona. Is she is fit as she looks on the telly?

Flash2001
7th Jul 2014, 19:36
While we're at it, WTH is a dignitary? I was infuriated to see all the Normandy vets standing in the sun waiting for the "dignitaries". The veterans dignify the occasion, not the poncing politicians, not even the royalty!

After an excellent landing etc...

500N
7th Jul 2014, 19:50
WTH is a dignitary?

You know, that person called Obama who sat there chewing gum !

goudie
7th Jul 2014, 20:03
You know, that person called Obama who sat there chewing gum ! That really f*cking annoyed me!

Normandy vets standing in the sun waiting for the 'pratts'So did that!

Is she is fit as she looks on the telly?

Just divine

500N
7th Jul 2014, 20:06
It annoyed the hell out of me.

Someone seriously needs to tell him what is what.

Prince Phillip was the only one there out of them who
had been in the war.

603DX
7th Jul 2014, 20:47
Prince Phillip was the only one there out of them who
had been in the war.

Ahem, Phillip's wife also served in WW2, and trained as a mechanic in the ATS. Most folk would agree that HM Queen Elizabeth II is not only a top celebrity, she is also one of the veterans ... ;)

500N
7th Jul 2014, 20:50
Ooooppppsss, sorry, forgot about that !

She would have seen the whole D Day build up as well
as I think Prince Phillip was in the Med at the time.

probes
7th Jul 2014, 21:08
ok, now you've got Cape celebrified... again? :sad:

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Jul 2014, 21:14
The more tinpot a country is, the larger and more colourful their visa/entry stamps in your passport are likely to be
More generally applicable, eg the more tinpot a university is the more colourful their gowns.

Lonewolf_50
7th Jul 2014, 21:48
Celebrity seems to be a lot like that well cited judge's take on pornography:

"I know it when I see it." ;)

With the number of celebs releasing personal porno tapes over the years, I'll suggest that the two descriptives are closer, not further apart. :p

GrumpyOldFart
8th Jul 2014, 01:08
The more tinpot a country is, the larger and more colourful their visa/entry stamps in your passport are likely to be

I seem to recall my first unlimited US Visitor's visa (in glorious Technicolor) occupied a whole page in my Olde Englishe passport way back when...

:E

svhar
8th Jul 2014, 01:29
I seem to recall my first unlimited US Visitor's visa (in glorious Technicolor) occupied a whole page

And if you had a crew visa as well, it occupied two whole pages.

B Fraser
8th Jul 2014, 06:56
I have one of those and the validity was "indefinite" or somesuch. Is it still valid today ???

500N
8th Jul 2014, 07:02
I don't think so, I think all indefinite visas were expired.

vulcanised
8th Jul 2014, 11:38
Usually seem to be drugs involved, whatever it is.

10Watt
10th Jul 2014, 20:00
l do hope Capetonian is back in time for New Year or else we`re stuffed.