PDA

View Full Version : Lynx at Wattisham

Governormalfunction
23rd May 2002, 20:13
I've heard that a Lynx at Wattisham did some "wire checks" a couple of days ago, anyone know anything? Hope the crew are all OK if there's any truth in this rumour.

Tube Launched
24th May 2002, 13:33
it would appear sunray and instructor were on perimeter checks....
pride was only personal injury I gather...

owe ver chute
24th May 2002, 14:04
TL, it must have been a Mk9 then. Was it from 4 or 3 Regt?

BEagle
24th May 2002, 16:49
Would never have happened had we not handed over Suffolk's finest fighter base to those people with their clattering green things! Having flown the mighty F4 from Needham Market International, it really annoyed me to read that PDs by 'jet' ac are not permitted now that the AAC have inherited such a once fine RAF station.

Sloppy Link
24th May 2002, 18:59
So old yet still so ignorant...I think you will find that the ATC side of life and therefore PD type decisions is still controlled by your chaps. You surprise me Beags, generally your comments are sensible, reasoned and well presented but this goes to show that a persons true feelings only come out when they have been drinking! Unless you have another excuse?

Molesworth Hold
24th May 2002, 19:15
ATC at Wattisham is run by SERCO, at least until August then it is going to VT Aerospace. There is a thread on the ATC forum (SERCO’s crumbling empire) that this bunch put in a bid that was so low that it won’t cover the wages bill. The RAF covered ATC for about a year while the SERCO contract was set up, so they will probably have to come back if/when the new contractor defaults.

Now, what did I hear about the new hangar not being high enough for the Apache Longbow?

BEagle
24th May 2002, 19:42
Oops - seems that the 'no jets' restriction is no longer in the BINA ERS. Sorry - will remove foot from mouth! But I still think it's a shame that we couldn't have kept Wattisham and given the hairy arm lot somewhere like Valley or Kinloss instead.....

Best of luck with Shirko - and even more with VTA!

Have sobered up and amended previous post to reflect banter rather than puerile abuse! It's just that having been based at such a nice place, I was then outraged when someone (and it was a 'weal woopert of the wedgie' - not a normal AAC type, I assure you) rang me about FW licences and had the nerve to complain that Watttisham was a god-forsaken spot miles from civilisation......

PurplePitot
24th May 2002, 22:38
The jet restriction came about some years ago when 4 Regt had a touchy feely CO who had a soft spot for warm cuddly things, namely, deer! "seems a bit of a shame to shoot em" he said, "we'll conserve them instead", which also gave the 'chaps' a little weekend sport to boot.. Trouble was we used to have a couple of Hawks drop in from time to time for FAC training but they kind of went of the idea after a few herds meandered across the runway whilst on finals! Seem to remember that engine offs were a little sporty from time to time as well!:eek:

kbf1
25th May 2002, 03:12
Beages will be wanting Kemble back next.........:rolleyes:

BTW, been to that dump you call "Valley". You can keep it thanks!

BEagle
25th May 2002, 06:10
The deer used to come out of Tan Wood, I believe - or possibly the woods near where the HAS sites are. There were also some pheasant pens in that bit of wood. And ducks living near the Q shed, it was so quiet.

Yes - didn't think you'd much care for Valley! But at least there's a dual carriageway across Ynys Mon now to make the journey to civilisation easier......

BTW - if any AAC chaps know the whereabouts of 'JP', could they ask him to give the ULAS ex-members association his addresss - he's currently listed as 'whereabouts unknown'!

Governormalfunction
25th May 2002, 13:30
I've since heard that Phyllis and the new Grande Fromage were involved and that the only real injuries sustained were by the local wildlife living in the hedge.
How did this thread lead on to a discussion about F4's, Serco and anything but Lynx handling at Wattisham?

spekesoftly
25th May 2002, 14:07
S.T.D. - Standard Thread Drift !!

MightyGem
26th May 2002, 14:06
Callsign "Strimmer" from now on, I think

:D

StopStart
26th May 2002, 18:59
Beags - spent the day yesterday with the aforementioned lost boy. He's moving down to Shrivenham in August (with wife plus imminent JP Junior :) ) for Staff College.
Yesterday was young Mortonski's wedding :eek: Nobson was best man - all on fine form.