PDA

View Full Version : VOR1 VOR2 difference in Airbus

AF330
2nd Jul 2014, 12:41
Good morning/ evening
I just would like to know what is the difference between VOR 1 and VOR 2 on Airbus! Does it mean that if- for example- DLE is your first VOR (you are navigating from VOR to VOR with an A330-200 and you are entring manually the frequency and the course) and CKI is the second VOR on your flight plan. So is DLE considered as VOR1? The FIRST VOR? And CKI as VOR2? The SECOND VOR?
Thank you!

Capt Claret
2nd Jul 2014, 23:23
Awe gee Smash, s/he might really be 13.

Though not rated on any Airbus, I'd guess VOR 1 would be on the Captain's side, and VOR 2 on the F/O's side.

Metro man
2nd Jul 2014, 23:46
The above is correct, however with modern navigation we don't actually use the VOR for en-route tracking. A VOR is simply a waypoint on our flight plan which is flown using IRS and GPS. The beacon on the ground could be switched off and we would still fly right overhead.

The VOR receiver automatically tunes in the nearest VOR beacon which is use full for situational awareness and IRS updates. I have only ever flown on radials for traffic separation on departure from an airport.

nitpicker330
3rd Jul 2014, 01:09
Yep, 2 VOR's fitted.........VOR 1 and VOR 2

We hardly ever manually tune VOR's anymore, they're left "auto tuning" themselves. ( with the proviso of GPS PRIMARY etc and good old airmanship )

Wally Mk2
3rd Jul 2014, 09:16
VOR's are still a very essential part of our Nav equipment especially collocated with a DME. Doing a DGA for EG in a fully automated 'bus' one still needs a VOR as the primary tracking aid. Dual FMGC fault & it's back to manual tuning:-)
I think they are the best ground aid ever as long as they are understood.

GPS is a great invention it would be hard to navigate these days without it the way we do business world wide but I still don't trust GPS entirely, old school I guess.

Wmk2

tail wheel
3rd Jul 2014, 09:54
AF330, you may care to change your profile to indicate your actual country of residence, rather than "Paris" as it is misleading.

I don't recall a town or city called "Paris" on the sub continent? :confused: