PDA

View Full Version : Furious SAA pilot strips at Harare airport

mkenya
2nd Jul 2014, 12:36
It still baffles me why they have to subject Pilots to there ridiculous checks when if they wanted to, they are more than capable of causing any harm with their planes with no need for arms.

Furious SA pilot strips at Harare airport (http://www.newzimbabwe.com/NEWS-16534-Furious+SA+pilot+strips+at+Harare+airport/NEWS.aspx)

thegypsy
2nd Jul 2014, 12:42
It is called doing a Pablo:D

Oldaircrew
2nd Jul 2014, 13:03
That's what happens when you put the clowns in charge of the circus. I feel your pain brother.

dfdasein
2nd Jul 2014, 14:30
Did you get this?!
"Witnesses to the bizarre incident said the pilot, as per routine, went through the metal dictating scanner which bleeped as he passed through."

Love this:
' "we would like to apologise to.... our stakeholders at large," said Tlali Tlali.'

Capetonian
2nd Jul 2014, 15:44
This is perhaps not the right time, place and manner in which to do so, but more people need to show up 'security' for the pathetic farce it has become.

dfdasein
2nd Jul 2014, 17:54
It's all very real. Forwarded this thread to a relative, and have just had the following reply:

"Funny u send this to me ... I'm on board SA24 in a few minutes to Harare ... Just my luck ... I may experience the same Friday on my way home ... LAUGH OUT LOUD".

Watch this space...

Capetonian
2nd Jul 2014, 17:58
I went through so-called security at Blantyre once. There was no electricity at the airport due to an outage. The 'security' cretin made me put my bag on the belt and he pushed it through the scanner with a long pole and then declared it safe. I asked him what the scanner did, and he said : "It will find a bomb." I asked him how it worked and he said he didn't know.

You might say 'only in Africa' but the cretins in security at many airports in more enlightened parts of the world are not much better. I understand that the Israelis do it properly, and I would suggest that may be a better approach, either do it properly or don't do it at all.

4runner
3rd Jul 2014, 12:39
3/4 of Zimbabwe are wearing less than the Captain. He must he fined as a white man. Bring more clothes! Criminal. Security threat to Mugabe! Steal Land! Take money from war veterans and great patriot Mugabe! He also stole the engines off the 320 and won't fly their 737-200, he rascist and bad man.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Jul 2014, 15:26
Walking out on to the apron to do some work on an aircraft parked there one day, I was made to put my tools through the X-ray machine, including a large lock blade knife I was carrying in my pocket. They were handed to me on the other side (the knife too) and I walked out to the apron to do what had to be done.

Of course, this took five people slouching in chairs around the X-ray unit, none of whom appeared to see any problem with the procedure.

Frogman1484
5th Jul 2014, 01:49
Do we know the outcome of managements investigation in the matter?

Mobotu
5th Jul 2014, 13:59
Frogman I think you have been "Out of Africa" in Fragrant Harbor for too long my friend to dare ask such a question - As South Africa continues to be one of Mugabe's biggest supporters I can see a discipline committee and subsequent punishment for our sorry fellow aviator. A few points of interest worth considering......he was arrested because he stripped down to his underwear???? Why? They were not Kelvin Kline? Maybe he was a cross dresser that preferred silk to satin? We know that is a definite No No in Zimbo!!! He was eventually charged with being a public nuisance??? Why? Maybe be just did it as a joke in front of the cabin crew and airport security did not find it funny at all. I think that may just be part of their training like how to keep a straight face while giving someone a rectal examination!!! As for all the armchair security experts out there that have to remind us that we are not above the law and pilot suicide is a real threat.......blah blah......what difference does it make to have body searches in addition to our bag and carry on luggage(Just like regular passengers) when with a flick of switch we can make all the lights go out....Permanently!

Frogman1484
6th Jul 2014, 13:00
Thank you Mobutu,

Yes I have been out of Africa for a while.

I do happen to know the captain from my airforce days, so was wondering what the outcome was.

Trackdiamond
6th Jul 2014, 14:44
Who check these security staff? I reckon we should have a more automated means for checking these security posts and only have human intervention during abnormalities and software/hardware hickups.There should be machines that can differentiate amunition from belt buckles..and body studs and jewellery/dentalware...from malicious war-ware.I also think Crew should be checked via a different channel.

Frogman1484
21st Jul 2014, 14:50
What ever happened to the Captain and the SAA review?

Mfezi
21st Jul 2014, 20:26
Not so furious and not so naked SAA pilot at Harare airport - As always the media has twisted this story totally for sensational purposes - Here are some facts about the incident:

1. Yes the Captain did put his trousers through the X-ray machine.
2. No he was not furious - it was meant as a humurous act of protes.
3. No he was not naked - Still had socks,shirt,tie + underware i.e. showed less than average lady passenger in mini skirt! Must be his knock knees:ooh:
4. No this incident did not occur in view of any passengers.
5. No the Captain was not officially arrested or charged.
6. No the Captain was not removed from the flight due mental concerns but purely for practical operational reasons
6. Yes the flight was delayed for +- 4 hours because he was illegally detained by security personnel wanting an african handshake!:ugh:
7. Yes the Captain is back flying but with braces keeping his trousers secure!:cool:

Frogman1484
27th Jul 2014, 12:21
That's good to hear. Thanks for the update.:ok: