PDA

View Full Version : Psycho Farcebook experiments

SpringHeeledJack
28th Jun 2014, 17:20
Facebook conducted secret psychology experiment on users' emotions - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/10932534/Facebook-conducted-secret-psychology-experiment-on-users-emotions.html)

It's bad enough that the users personal info is being monitored/excavated, though that is agreed to in the T&C's, but to purposely interfere negatively to extract a response to an unwitting psychological experiment is……

SHJ

ExRAFRadar
28th Jun 2014, 18:15
Quite possibly the most disturbing thing I have read for a while.

Just because it is in T&C's does not make it morally right.

Captain Sand Dune
28th Jun 2014, 22:37
As I've always said, Facebook is the work of the devil.
I had to open a Facebook account for work purposes, and promptly closed it again when it was no longer required.
Having said that, I occasionally find myself looking over my wife's shoulder when she's on Facebook. What strikes me are:

1. The volumes of trivial drivel that people will happily share with the world (my baby just sh*t, what a great day, etc etc blah blah blah) and

2. the level of personal detail people put on. I have witnessed a complete marriage breakup on Facebook, at least from one point of view. Clearly the poster didn't realise that it just made them look sad and desperate.

Caboclo
28th Jun 2014, 23:09
That experiment is rather along the lines of the experiments to find out what turns men on, etc. Truly groundbreaking research! :ugh:

rh200
28th Jun 2014, 23:39
That experiment is rather along the lines of the experiments to find out what turns men on, etc. Truly groundbreaking research!

Must be run by lefty's, they have a habit of not taking things as fact unless there's specific study to confirm it.

onetrack
29th Jun 2014, 01:58
The article only proves what most intelligent people already know - that Farcebook is manipulative, intrusive, dictatorial, aggressive, and controlling.
The site merely reflects the primary methods of the leaders of the corporate world, and the American corporate world, in particular.

Note how Farcebook only has "likes" - but not "dislikes". In an even-handed operation, both "likes" and "dislikes" would be provided.
This is corporate manipulation at its finest - providing a distorted view of responses to suit their own corporate aims.

mikedreamer787
29th Jun 2014, 05:35
Yet another reason to stay clear of these social media sites.

Capetonian
29th Jun 2014, 06:12
What you all said. ++++

david1300
29th Jun 2014, 09:02
I'm tempted to say 'so what'. This sort of thing has been going on since the first commercial transaction were made; they just get more sophisticated as the means is there to collect more data. From having lollies/candy/sweets at kiddies level in supermarkets to having half naked women draped over motorcars and motorcycles, to having everything manipulated from data gathered about our likes and dislikes - what's the big deal. Getting outraged and hoping it doesn't happen is somewhat like sitting on the beach and commanding the tide not to come in. It ain't gonna happen.

If the guys on here were honest we would admit to responding to visual and emotive cues - when last did you look at a car ad featuring a fully-clothed 40-something? Never, because they don't make then because years ago the research of the day proved that tits and bums get us to stop and look, and we are more likely to test-drive a car with a sexy busty near-naked model on the bonnet than one that promotes it's safety features. So FB does this in another way and experiments on us :p.

Get over it;)

racedo
29th Jun 2014, 16:17
we are more likely to test-drive a car with a sexy busty near-naked model on the bonnet than one that promotes it's safety features.

Dunno about you but last time asked for a car test drive there was only Gladys the Tea Lady who would fit the female bit, I excluded Glenda as there are gender queries here, even the lads at the Christmas party wouldn't shag it.
Now Gladys draped half naked on the bonnet would be a site to see, well she would leave the zimmerframe and everything else attached beside the car and would need to be lifted on it.

As cars go Gladys is a Vintage, pre WW2 type.

Don_Apron
1st Jan 2015, 11:25
Bit more about farcebook here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otxM--fTOcM