PDA

View Full Version : TG at LHR T2

ZFT
27th Jun 2014, 22:11
TG have announced a delay of their scheduled move from T3 to T2 next week due to "unplanned baggage system testing" with the move delayed until the end of the summer.

Is this TG only (for whatever reason) or are there real issues with T2?

G-ARZG
28th Jun 2014, 18:16
EVA (BR) and Turkish (TK) also due to switch to T2 on same day, 02 July.

'Airline Moves' page of Heathrow website still shows BR moving 02 July, but
TG and TK mysteriously no longer feature on this page......

edi_local
28th Jun 2014, 19:11
T2 doesn't have it's own system for baggage, they feed in to the T1 baggage system, which had some problems last week.

I'm not saying they haven't done their homework, but perhaps LHR have underestimated the impact two terminals using one baggage network would have, so they have delayed the move to T2 until some improvements have been made.

I am not sure why they didn't build a baggage system for T2, it seems a bit rushed to me, surely a whole new terminal should be using all new technology and not piggybacking off the terminal it will eventually be replacing?

gdiphil
28th Jun 2014, 20:19
Glad I took a look at this thread, I'm flying BR to BKK on 20th July, I will need to keep an eye on whether or not they change. They probably will do since it is only one T7 a day. But I wonder what numpty thought not to build a baggage handling system for a new terminal which as I understand it is for the largest airline alliance to use, ie the Star Alliance. Similarly I was in T5 arrivals early this morning to pick up two young Aussie nephews of mine arrived from SYD. Only 4 lifts to the carpark!! Or was I not awake. No stairs either or perhaps I really am too dozy in the morning. Anyway four huge queues for the lifts. Beggars belief that some numpty allowed that.

edi_local
28th Jun 2014, 21:32
T5 only has 4 lifts to/from the Heathrow Express/Underground platforms, so I am assuming they also serve the car parks. They run on a pattern meaning they go straight from the bottom to the top and then stop at intermediate levels on the way down, or something like that. They have no call buttons anyway. There are escalators from the trains, but it takes a while due to the sheer height of the building.

I am not sure if T2 will eventually have it's own baggage system (and a train to connect the satellite piers, at the moment it's a long walk) but there is space to put one in under the building itself. I know they will expand T2 sideways over what is now T1, so perhaps when that happens, a bigger baggage hall will be built and the current T1 system will be part of that?

DaveReidUK
28th Jun 2014, 22:47
I know they will expand T2 sideways over what is now T1

In due course the new T2 will expand northwards, in two phases.

PAXboy
28th Jun 2014, 23:58
As I understand it, the T2 bag system is due to open early 2015??? Reasons were about delivery times of equipment, access to site and blah boah but it's over a year since I read that. I sit to be corrected.

Or ask this specific question in the LHR thread of AA&R.

G-ARZG
29th Jun 2014, 09:11
gdiphil,
T5 car park is served by no less than 14 lifts,
in three 'banks of 4', and a bank of 2.

11277m
29th Jun 2014, 11:28
The baa website still shows EVA as moving on 2nd July, but has no mention of TK or TG.

Knowing TG, my first suspicion was that it was likely to a TG lack of planning problem rather than a Terminal 2 issue.

S.o.S.
29th Jun 2014, 17:22
I think this thread has got too mixed up. We started with the important point of carriers moving between terminals at LHR.

Then a reasonable sidestep to baggage handling at T2 but then we leapt across to T5 and started counting lifts.

Very happy to have a thread about carrier moves between the airport terminals but other points probably best taken up in the Heathrow thread, as PAXboy mentioned.

G-ARZG
2nd Jul 2014, 19:12
gdiphil - you have PM

ZFT
24th Sep 2014, 00:34
Well, now have had the 'pleasure' of experiencing T2 with 3 return trips this past 2 weeks and I for one am not impressed. Incredibly long walks through some very bland corridors, broken down escalators every trip already, repetitive level changes and some awful check in arrangements.
TG are stuck in a corner and it seems to get quite congested (and with a new handling agent that isn't a patch on SAS in T3).

UAL check in was also a nightmare and spent an age queuing.

Once this terminal is fully occupied it is going to be a nightmare.

I never though I would say this but T3 was better!!!

ExXB
24th Sep 2014, 07:20
Mrs ExXB travelled LX to LHR a couple of weekends ago. Although still in Terminal 1 the aircraft uses T2 gates. She commented on the very long walk, poorly signposted, with not-working escalators and non existent travelators.

Will likely improve once LX finally moves to T2 but it is a real pain for their loyal customers.

By Motorway BRS is about 40 minutes further from her Dads's house than is LHR. With the walking etc at T1/2 she says it's quicker to use BRS than LHR, and often cheaper too.