PDA

View Full Version : Military pilot with no civil license, any chance of getting a job as copilot in UAE?

sailaani
26th Jun 2014, 21:50
hello every one
i am a military pilot with 1000 + hours on bell 412 EP helicopter.i am planning to step into civil aviation but honestly i dont have much info about this . i need help with some basic questions here like
a. i 'm presently serving in military and i dont have any civil/commercial license, is it possible to apply for a job in UAE with this status???

b. if not then my problem is that i can't apply for local cpl(H) while serving in military here (you need to have NOC), is there any chance i can do this license thing in UAE in case its a prerequisite?
i have heard that you can't get commercial license in UAE unless you have a job there

please reply and explain , i'd really appreciate your response.

jack schidt
27th Jun 2014, 02:40
Globally, you will have to have some form of commercial fixed wing civilian license to be hired by any civilian airline including the UAE

Globally = the whole planet will require you to have a civilian fixed wing license.

Commercial = Your military time in helicopters will most likely not count towards a fixed wing commercial license.

License = such as an FAA or EASA license. You will need to obtain this and complete all the required flight tests for it to ATPL level to fly for a carrier outside your country.

There is no way your current experience or qualifications will get you hired in any airline. You need to get that license and then come back here, good luck.

Wizofoz
27th Jun 2014, 04:13
I think he's talking about a rotary-wing job, Jack.

If that's so, yes you need a civilian CPL, but it doesn't have to be a UAE license.

I'd suggest doing some research on civilian schools in ICAO compliant states, and planning to use some leave to do the requisite truing exams and flight tests to get a licence.

The US would probably be cheapest, but Australia might be more accessible for you.

Many Civvy 'Copter pilots started in the military, so I do think it's achievable.

If you WERE talking fixed-wing airliners, Jack is right, you'll need to find an avenue to get a fixed wing licence and substantial experience, though rotary hours do usually count toward a portion of the requirements.

Dash8driver1312
27th Jun 2014, 04:14
I think HerrJack missed something...to rectify:

If you want to fly fixed wing, you need a CPL(A) or ATPL(A).

If you want to fly rotary, you need a CPL(H) or ATPL(H).

And the fact that you have plenty if rotary turbine time will out you in better standing than everyone who has blitzed around in Robinsons.

Eau de Boeing
27th Jun 2014, 16:14
nah he hasn't flown Tornado's........

sailaani
27th Jun 2014, 18:42
thank you every one for your reponse

sailaani
27th Jun 2014, 18:59
yes i'm talking about a rotary wing job

okay i get this , i have to have a CPL (H) before applying for any job in UAE or anywhere else but what i 'm still not clear about is that if i start this license process in one of the ICAO recognized civ schools ( as you said ) then what advantage do i have from my military experience, i mean is it easier or cheaper for me than a civ pilot who is applying with 250 or 300 hours

plus i want to know if i can get my CPL (H) in UAE as a QMP??

Dash8driver1312
28th Jun 2014, 11:38
Your hours MAY count towards totals required. This is something you will need to check with the authorities (something about credit for military experience). It might be worth your time to call a flight training center and speak to a civilian instructor for that answer.

Vortex Thing
28th Jun 2014, 17:05
Sailanni

I'm an ex mil rotary pilot who is now an airline pilot.

Your hours and experience have a huge benefit regardless of whether you go the CPL (A) or (H) route.

All of your time counts if you got the CPLH route and 50% will count if you go fixed wing route. This however was for me in the UK. Every authority credits and counts military experience differently. As an example in UK you automatically are credited with the skill and knowledge level of a CPL but have to pass the 14 JAA ( now EASA) civilian atpl exams. On top of this once you have the 14 ATPL exams your time on type as b412 is a civvy and military type will give you a type rating and likely an instrument rating to boot.

Suggest UK, South Africa, aus, NZ or anywhere EASA. Suggest you stay well away from the US unless you have some sort of right to live and work that side of the pond. Though people will tell you it doesn't matter where your licence is from. It does! Some countries heli trg is held in much higher esteem than others. The licence, the school and oft your passport are initially but sadly much more important than your actual ability for your first few jobs.

If you want to go the fixed wing route. Many states will say training as required, in most cases schools will just fly with you for an hour or so see that you likely need very little if any training hire you an aircraft to go and build any hours you need and then give you a CPL skills test.

So is there any advantage well basically from a £100,000 course you just saved £70,000 so errmm yes.

Speak to CHC Scotia, Bristows, and possibly Bond they will welcome you with open arms to go fly to oil rigs.

Not sure which country's forces you are in but assuming you are NVG, combat ready and weapons qualified etc then you likely will have a good in for police and HEMS jobs as opposed to having to go the heavy offshore route.

Top tip, leaving the military is really really hard, do as much research as you possibly can before you leave. You may find that staying until 1500hrs or even 3000 hrs makes a hugely significant change to your prospects and outlay in licensing costs. Not only that if you're British it will make a huge change in your pension if you serve 12 or 16 rather than 8 yrs.

Good luck
VT

sailaani
28th Jun 2014, 20:06
@vortex thing
thank you very much sir ,
that was really helpful

sailaani
28th Jun 2014, 22:20
vortex thing
sir

when you say that all of my military experience counts if i get the cpl H route ,do you mean internationally???
do these hours count if i apply at some school/authority abroad?? (cz i can't apply for license in national CAA as a serving officer)
as in UK and NZ schools they only entertain/recognize flying experience of their own armed forces or with a previous license