PDA

View Full Version : Bush Flying Indonesia

MightyDucks
25th Jun 2014, 20:41
Hi all,

I looking for information with regards to getting employment as a pilot in Indonesia. I am aware that Susi Air are the main company that are hiring but I have read somewhere that a minimum of 250 hours are required on type before my licence can be changed. I'm not sure if this is correct or not.

Any information or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

MD

flyingswiss
25th Jun 2014, 20:49
What's your experience? Most of the Bush Flying in Indonesia is done in Papua, not really the place for a fresh CPL holder.

Flying to one paved runway to an other over "isolated terrain" is not Bush Flying. So unless you count the Porter operations, Susi Air is not a bush flying operator.

MightyDucks
25th Jun 2014, 22:47
I am a fresh CPL holder. Apologise I thought it was bush flying. Do you know what the requirements are for Susi Air?

Massey058
26th Jun 2014, 01:38
flyingswiss,

I wouldn't call it a bush operation either but if you actually knew what the operation was then you would know that the Caravan operates to plenty of unpaved strip at high altitude with slopes.

lilflyboy262...2
26th Jun 2014, 02:34
You will get different answers depending on who you talk to.

As far as I am aware, the 250hrs thing is for aircraft over 12500lbs.
My company has taken on a few guys with less than 250hrs on type, some with 0 time, and they have had no issues for the caravan.

The one limitation that is in place is 1000hrs Single Engine time to go captain on the van.

If this isn't a bush operation, then I don't really know what is? Unless you want to be picky and call it a jungle mountain operation.

pilotchute
26th Jun 2014, 05:30
To the OP and Swiss,

I'm not privy to the Susi operation outside of Papua but I can say that what they do in Papua is bush flying. Admittedly the amount of unpaved runways is getting fewer and fewer but what you land on doesn't necessarily define what type of flying you do. Many of these "paved strips" are in some very challenging locations.

The near total absence of ATC, weather that changes frighteningly fast and the lack of infrastructure makes operating here very difficult sometimes. This is the reason I would label it as bush flying.

If mightyduck is serious about coming to Indonesia all I can suggest is to apply to Susi. You won't get to Papau straight away if your successful but you may not want to come here once you see the rest of the country. Don't take that the wrong way, I like it here most of the time but its not everyone's "cup of tea" if you know what I mean.

MightyDucks
26th Jun 2014, 10:26
I've done some more research and it seems that 250TT are needed for the first officer position on the 208. Has anyone heard of anybody getting employed with less time than that?

pilotchute
27th Jun 2014, 03:16
I would say that 250 would be the minimum if that's what is on the Susi webpage. I think someone has stated before that its a local DGCA requirement now, not a company one.

How much are you short?

MightyDucks
27th Jun 2014, 07:27
A lot. I did an integrated course so I only have 170TT. I'm presuming sim time doesn't count?

figatelix
27th Jun 2014, 14:42
I confirm, Sim time doesn't count.
And 250 is the legal minimum, but lately they tend to hire people with more hours.
(500 min lately).
They try to mix profiles for the recruitment, which is good for safety.
Also, brand new, we have hired the first Direct Entry Captain on Caravan, and probably 2 or 3 more to go within the next months.

MightyDucks
27th Jun 2014, 15:44
I'm considering moving to the UK to try and get a job glider towing to build hours. It seems to be my only option.

Massey058
27th Jun 2014, 20:36
Figatelix, direct entry left seat has happened quite a few times over the years, nothing new.

CodyBlade
2nd Jul 2014, 06:34
There is a ton of info on SAir.

in fact it has a dedicated thread.

flymore787
18th Jul 2014, 15:53
Low timer King Air Pilot here.
Any advise for me?

Desperately trying to get out and get more hours out there.

Homeless49
31st Jul 2014, 06:40
Mighty Ducks

Have you looked at flying in oz?. Not sure what the story is with licensing but you can get loads of hours quickly cattle mustering.

pilotchute
31st Jul 2014, 12:07
Homeless,

Stop talking out of your ass.