PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining 2nd class medical with childhood issues

ElinaGautier
24th Jun 2014, 12:11
Hi

I am currently 20 years old getting ready for my 2nd class medical.

The thing that worries me is that when I was a child (aged 2 to 5) I had a pre-hepatic portal hypertension.

Basically, when I was an infant I had a navel infection which then carried to the portal vein and created a thromb. This thromb blocked the vein and created and internal bleeding. So at the age of 2 I was admitted to hospital and had sclerotherapy and portal vein shunt surgery. However, there are around 120 types of shunt surgeries for such problem and the doctor choose the wrong one for me. So at the age of 5 I had second and last portal vein shunt surgery. Since then, for 15 years now I never had this or any other health issues. My blood pressure in portal vein or anywhere else never was high and (during and after the surgeries) I didnt take any kind of medications. Moreover, my doctor said that this problem affects mainly very young children and that when you enter adolescence veins become stronger and the problem doesnt come back.

I've been flying as a passanger quite a lot, flew a glider for a bit and nothing ever happened.

Do you think I have a chance of passing 2nd class or maybe even 1st class medical with such medical history?

I'd be grateful for any recommendations and opinions!

gingernut
24th Jun 2014, 21:48
Gosh, most 20 year olds wouldn't have the depth of knowledge you have.

Heaven only knows the medical interventions that happened to me as a child. Unfortunately, as I can't remember, and as I don't make a habit of delving into my medical records, I was able to complete my "health questionnaire" with a clear head.

Never lie to your AME.

Chris Opperman
25th Jun 2014, 07:59
If all is normal you should have no problem.

Radgirl
26th Jun 2014, 06:20
This is a rare condition and I suspect an AME won't be able to give a definitive response so the best course of action is to ask your hospital for a full copy of your notes - you have an absolute right to is and don't be fobbed off with a discharge summary - and send them to the CAA for an opinion.

It is likely they will want an ultrasound and some blood tests, possibly imaging which can be expensive to ensure there is no residual organ damage but as you have been told this has a good prognosis and in most cases the treatment stops damage to the liver and in effect provides a cure

Let us know how you get on and good luck

ElinaGautier
26th Jun 2014, 06:48
I have quite a note noticeably scar left and it's likely to arise some questions so I should know

ElinaGautier
26th Jun 2014, 06:56
Yea, it is quite rare.
I am obtaining a report from my doctor now.
And I've already asked CAA about and they said that they need the report explaining the causes, treatment and prognoses.

There was no damage to the liver, it was just a case of lowering inner blood pressure (next to to the liver).

I booked my test for 19th of July so yea will let everyone know how I get on.

ElinaGautier
26th Jun 2014, 07:01
Also, another worry that I have is about my weight.
My BMI is below norm and I calculated that to get it to the norm I'd need to gain 8 kg.
I am naturally tall and slim and never diet so gaining weight would be...not easy.

Could it be a problem at all?