PDA

View Full Version : Duty free bags for transit flights

Rawtenstall
24th Jun 2014, 11:48
Just back from Naples, flying Brussels Airlines NAP - BRU - MAN. At Naples Airport duty free shop I had bought a lovely bottle of Brunello di Montalcino and asked the cashier to put it in a sealable transit bag, which he kindly did, sealing the bag and handing me the receipt.

"Shouldn't the receipt go inside the bag?" I asked, only to be told "it isn't necessary" and was waved away with a scowl from the cashier. "Hmmm" I thought.

Arrived at BRU and made the long trek round the airport to the B (non-shengen) gates where another security check is needed, and where my Brunello, in its sealed duty free bag, caused much consternation.

"when did you buy this?" I was asked by a very friendly security guard. "Two hours ago at Naples airport duty free shop" I replied, handing over the receipt for her inspection. "Naples!!" she rolled her eyes and gave me a knowing look.

My Brunello was taken away and I was asked to wait, not long, maybe 5 minutes when a senior officer came over to talk to me. "The receipt should be in the bag". I told him that I thought that was the case, but the cashier at Naples Airport didn't seem to think it mattered, so I thought maybe the rules had changed.

The Brunello was opened, x-rayed, and re-sealed in a Brussels Airport bag. "Next time, remember to tell them that the receipt must go into the sealed bag".

I must admit that I was resigned to loosing my wine, so I left BRU a happy transit passenger - 10/10 to Brussels airport security (and 0/10 to the Naples Airport shop assistant!)

Heathrow Harry
24th Jun 2014, 21:35
nice to see some common sense

Espada III
25th Jun 2014, 00:17
Can pretty much guarantee that Zurich or Frankfurt would have confiscated immediately. So well done Brussels.

ExXB
25th Jun 2014, 10:40
Tell Brussels Airlines about your inconvenience. I would image they would have much more clout with Naples airport, who depend on duty free sales, than a casual punter.

cavortingcheetah
25th Jun 2014, 21:27
Say nothing to Brussels or common sense will be doing the flying.