PDA

View Full Version : Westland Whirlwind G-BVGE Flying Today @ Weston

TheWizard
22nd Jun 2014, 21:01
This doesn't seem to have been mentioned much but great to see the old girl flying again.
I'm sure this will spark off a few posts about WIWOW :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUeWNB76No&list=UUgcEz-y6zzkh6ueBQH6Qvzw&feature=share

tucumseh
22nd Jun 2014, 21:19
Brilliant. Well done. First aircraft I ever worked on, a HAR9. Is this one a Mk10?

Evalu8ter
22nd Jun 2014, 21:25
It clattered its way over Eval Towers this morning; lovely sight and sound.

Martin the Martian
22nd Jun 2014, 21:28
tucumseh:

It is indeed, formerly XJ729 c/n WA100.

I had no idea one was flying. Hopefully I'll catch up with it soon.

Tankertrashnav
22nd Jun 2014, 21:48
The one and only time I ever took the controls of a helicopter was when I attempted to hover a 28 Squadron Whirlwind at Kai Tak in 1968. Made a complete and utter pigs ear of it!

Still, it gave the 28 Sqn guys looking from their crewroom a laugh at least!

Bill4a
22nd Jun 2014, 22:06
Great to see her flying again! Well done to the team of enthusiasts who maintain her.

lmgaylard
22nd Jun 2014, 22:54
As some of you may know, I am in the process of writing an article with the new owner of XJ729.

As far as I know it is now re-registered as XJ729 and the owner intends to participate in a number of air shows this year.

Back in May I was lucky enough to accompany the 'Whirlybird' to a local fundraiser and take some air-to-air photos of it. She looks just great.

If anyone is interested, I will let you know when the article is published.

KR,
Lewis

Oldlae
23rd Jun 2014, 08:33
lmgaylard, please check your PM's.

Oldlae.

Dysonsphere
23rd Jun 2014, 10:05
wonderfull good too see 1 back in the air again.

Old-Duffer
23rd Jun 2014, 11:33
Were I the emotional, nostalgic sort of chap, there would have been a lump in my throat as I watched the video above.

My last 'go' in a Whirlwind was precisely 40 years ago at RAF Upwood. An old friend flew over from CFS(H) to look at a Skeeter, which adorned the place I worked, and agreed to give me a flip around the local countryside. The monochrome photograph I took of XP405 that afternoon now has pride of place in the downstairs loo (how posh to have more than one!!!) and next to and slightly below the framed photo of a Tonker, with which the current Mrs O-D had some association.

XJ729 used to be owned and was originally restored by a mate. I'm glad to see it flying again and congratulate those who made it possible.

Old Duffer

pedroalpha
23rd Jun 2014, 12:55
Brilliant! The film takes me back to my last flight in a Whirlwind 10 some 42 years ago.

Pedro 45

Mushroom_2
23rd Jun 2014, 17:13
Great video - brings back some good memories, My last flight was 36 years ago and I had forgotten how long it took to get them going. I'm sure we had some shortcuts on SAR sorties.

RedhillPhil
23rd Jun 2014, 17:22
This interests me. There seems to be some time after the engine(s?) is/are started before the blades start turning.
What is the power-plant type and how is the drive transmitted?

Bill4a
23rd Jun 2014, 19:03
It's a RR Gnome probably 10101 drives a power turbine to the main gearbox on top and the tail rotor shaft.
It doesn't usually take that long to fire up, but then it is getting on a bit! My first was at Odiham 1964!

Fareastdriver
23rd Jun 2014, 19:14
It used a conventional R.R. Gnome with a free turbine. This drives a reduction gearbox that finally changes the angle of drive from horizontal to the angle required to connect to the drive shaft that was original powered by a radial engine.
Dreadfully inefficient. The S62, using the same engine and rotor system had a 1.000lbs advantage in payload.,

Bill4a
23rd Jun 2014, 19:21
The S62 had a bigger Gnome 1200 Shaft horse as I recall, and had 2 of them! Not a fair comparison!

aerolearner
23rd Jun 2014, 19:25
She's happy too. Look at that smile!:O

BEagle
23rd Jun 2014, 19:26
Westland Whirlwind flying again? For a brief moment I thought...."Crikey!"

But no, 'twas just a Humphrey. Good to see an historic aircraft flying again though!

Bill4a
23rd Jun 2014, 19:30
Why is it that everything I've worked on flown in or walked past is now either historic or in a bloody museum? :}

ShyTorque
23rd Jun 2014, 21:01
It gets even worse when they replace the those museum exhibits and gate guardians that you used to fly with newer aircraft types!

Now, when I was on Whirlwinds....first rotary winged flight at the SAR flight RAF Leconfield 1977. Got a couple of chances to pole the aircraft as well as being their "duty survivor" which inspired me to ask to be re-streamed rotary wing. Last flight @ RAF Shawbury May 25th 1979. Oh happy days! It was a big aircraft as a basic trainer, especially as they made us do solo engine offs to the ground in it as mere basic students!

Cornish Jack
23rd Jun 2014, 21:29
Oh!! the joy and nostalgia:D
I'm sure we had some shortcuts on SAR sorties.
I have a feeling that we managed a record 'bell to wheels-off' time at Thorney in the 60's. It was AOC's and we KNEW that we'd get a practice scramble so we were poised on the blocks, so to speak. Bell went and so did we and memory says it was 53 seconds to wheels off. Jack Burgess (M Nav) was W/Op and once we were out of the circuit we (Skip and I) started discussing where we would go for a sight-seeing. Jack , quite forcefully, told us to shut up and get organised - it was a 'for real' not a practice and there was a standard issue 'grockle' to be hauled from the 'oggin'. AOC missed our demo of 'derring-do' but damp grockle was returned to terra firma.
Valley, Thorney, Manston short det., Valley again, Tern Hill, Akrotiri plus Whirly 10, almost unbeatable!

Mushroom_2
24th Jun 2014, 08:11
Crikey - I could have given Shy his first Whirlwind flight!

Ant T
24th Jun 2014, 08:30
The S62 had a bigger Gnome 1200 Shaft horse as I recall, and had 2 of them! Not a fair comparison!

Pretty sure the S62 was single-engine. I remember there was the hulk of one sat outside the Gulf Helicopters hangar in Doha in the mid to late 1970's, when my Dad was working there.

Also remember the Bristow Whirlwind at Redhill doing engine-off landings while the only two (I think) current pilots at the time were doing each others licence renewals, when I was on my course there in 1985/86. It was still being used on a commercial contract for Marconi at the time, with some kind of test equipment bolted on the side.

Lynxman
24th Jun 2014, 10:07
Bill4a, the Sikorsky S-62 was indeed single engined.

Bill4a
24th Jun 2014, 17:42
Always prepared to be wrong, :\ I didn't realise Sikorsky built another single engine helicopter after the S55. However comma I was right about the engine!

RAFEngO74to09
24th Jun 2014, 17:55
Bill,

Don't forget that Sikorsky also produced the single piston engine S-58 which Westland built as the Wessex with the twin Gnome turboshaft engines:

Sikorsky H-34 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_H-34)

Westland Wessex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Wessex)

Bill4a
24th Jun 2014, 18:34
In my defence, never had a lot to do with Sikorsky, only the Westland variants. I don't think we even trialled the 62 which I think was based on the S55.

Roland Pulfrew
25th Jun 2014, 08:39
I was with BEagle when I read the title and thought WOW :eek:

To see one of these flying agian would be awesome......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Westland_whirlwind.jpg

Now what did I do with that EuroMillions ticket........

Congratulations to all those dealing with the 2nd Westland Whirlwind though :ok:

Cornish Jack
29th Jun 2014, 11:06
Why the extra hole in the nose door??

Rigga
30th Jun 2014, 17:10
Bloody Marvellous!
I'll have to meet it...somewhere? Where's it based?
1st aircraft I was let loose on as an LAC Rigga at Tern Hill 1975 and moving to Shawbury with them in 1976 where the wheels seemed to touch the tiles on our Married Quarter at Chapel Close (or was it Chapel Square?)

Fareastdriver
1st Jul 2014, 07:32
Bill4a. Must do better.

The S62 had the General Electric T58 gas turbine, the one that the Rolls Royce Gnome is a copy of. It is derated to 730 horse power for the same reason that the Gnome is derated in the Whirlwind; the main gearbox input pinion.

So there you have two helicopters with the same power available, the same rotor system, but one can carry 1,000 lbs more than the other and is faster.

The S62 entered US Navy service in 1962, about the same time as Westlands were rehashing the Whirlwind.

Note: I have 1,500 hrs on Whirlwinds, so I'm not slagging them. I just happen to have had a first hand comparison between my Whirlwind 10 and a S62 that belonged to World Wide Helicopters in Borneo 1966.

chopper2004
1st Jul 2014, 09:35
@Fareastdriver - you mean entering service with the USCG :) as they were the only operators of the 62 :) for the next quart of century.

Cheers

Martin the Martian
1st Jul 2014, 12:59
Also used by the Japanese military in small numbers as well:

Photos: Sikorsky (Mitsubishi) S-62J Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Japan---Air/Sikorsky-(Mitsubishi)-S-62J/0852731/&sid=e68d2c30f722c0fb43f0fbccfd2c2278)

foreverarefour
15th Aug 2014, 09:45
Just seen this post, does anyone know how to get hold of the current owner - i.e. how we would go about inviting them for an airshow or display?

Thanks

Rigga
15th Aug 2014, 11:12
You could try for an address on G-INFO at the CAA.

Hueymeister
15th Aug 2014, 12:46
Who's flying it?

flyingrupert
16th Sep 2014, 11:07
If you're still looking to contact the owner of the Whirlwind, let me know what you want and I can help.

Boudreaux Bob
16th Sep 2014, 13:45
Sikorsky built the S-51, 52, 55, 58, 59 and 62 models as Single Engine Helicopters.

The 51,55, and 58 Models were built under license in the UK and were known as Dragonflies, Whirlwinds, and Wessex's.

The Wessex and S-58T were both Twin Engined Turbine versions of the S-58 with the Wessex being the only version with a single Turbine Version as well.

Why is it that everything I've worked on flown in or walked past is now either historic or in a bloody museum?

Because they were old and worn out when you were flying them.....just like you are today!

I know the feeling when I visit the US Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker, Alabama.

I see one of my Chinooks on display then look around at all the young nubbin Aviators with their shiny new Wings and I begin to want to set them on my knee and tell them how it was in the Old Days.

Hard to imagine it was 47 Years ago I started my Helicopter Training.

Bill4a
21st Sep 2014, 08:50
Boudreaux Bob, Sadly I think you're right about the old age bit!
As to the youth of shiny winglets, a colleague remind me that Leonard Cheshire was a Group Captain at 21! :}

I've never even heard of a Wessex with a single turbine every one I worked on had 2.

Boudreaux Bob
21st Sep 2014, 15:51
When they added the second engine....they added one just like the first one and gave the Wessex true Single Engine Capability as compared to the S-58T version with the Twin Pac Pratt and Whitney setup.

The 58T with the -6 Engines did quite well although still not in the class of the Twin Engined Wessex during OEI operations.

http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/west_wessex.php