PDA

View Full Version : Photos in ipad air vs ipad 2

Ancient Observer
21st Jun 2014, 14:22
A bit of help, please with some apple issue that is weird. I have googled this but can't find an answer.
SWMBO's ipad 2 synchronises our digital photos with itunes. The space that our M/S pc says the photos take up is 32 gb. Reduce that a bit for the few videos on there that are not sync'd, and I guess M/S would say that there is about 28-30 gb.
On SWMBO's ipad 2, Usage reveals 10.2 gb of photos.

However, with my 32 gb of ipad air, the same itunes sync'd photos take up almost all of the available space - over 26gb. (26.1)

Is the ipad 2 compressing the photos in some way? Can I do that with my ipad air?

Grateful for any good ideas!

I would rather not download idownsize but I guess i will if that is the only solution......

mixture
24th Jun 2014, 21:08
Is the ipad 2 compressing the photos in some way? Can I do that with my ipad air?

Are both devices at the same software level ?

Don Coyote
25th Jun 2014, 10:15
Are you synching all the photo folders on both devices or are you only selecting some of the folders on the ipad 2 so only some of the photos are being transferred?

Additionally, on the ipad air or you a member of some photo streams that the iPad 2 is not? Each of the stream photos would also be downloaded which could account for some size.

The photos on my iPad 2 take up half the size that they do on my PC so I guess there is some compression/ resizing taking place although I can't see any settings for it.

Ancient Observer
25th Jun 2014, 11:19
Mixture - both devices have 7.1.1 (11D201) as "Version".

Don. - All the photos are kept on my home pc. (M/S 7 Home pro) No photo streaming or any such. No replication with Apple cloud as I can't afford their fees. (And yes, they are all backed up on a hard drive and on BT cloud).

When I first sync'd with the ipad air I tried to get them all on. They all fit on to the ipad 2. That stuffed the air, with very serious indigestion, so I had to do a factory re-set. Apparently over-filling the air with data stops it from even syncing to reduce the amout of data......Since then I have only sync'd selected folders.

However, it doesn't change the fact that on the ipad 2 there looks to be some sort of undisclosed and non-alterable compression going on. This must be "close to the hardware" software or whatever it is called, as both have the same version and build of the software. I would very much like to be able to compress them in the same way on the ipad air.

As this is not a common issue in the apple communities, (and I've spent hours on there chatting, trying to find others with a similar issue) I've had chats with the Apple help desk. All chats were with very nice Irish people who seem to want to help. First lady gave up and passed me on to senior helper. He devoted 90 mins of his time (very generous) but could not find the issue, so he's gone off to consult with deeper techies.

I guess that there is something compressing them on the ipad2 that is not present on the ipad air. However, whatever it is, it is not in the Apple software that is released from time to time.

mixture
25th Jun 2014, 11:33
No replication with Apple cloud as I can't afford their fees.

£14/£28/£70 per annum for 10/20/50GB .... doesn't seem particularly excessive to me ?

As for the rest of your question, I'll do some research...

Don Coyote
25th Jun 2014, 11:46
AO, Interestingly, after reading your post, I had a look at my photos on my iPad 2 and noticed that they were no longer being synched. I had run out of space a few months back so maybe that is when it stopped synching similar to your case. Despite not synching photos, there were still 10gb of photos on the device so I tried to remove them.

When I deselected synching pictures and completed a sync, my iPad still showed a couple of gigs of photos still on the device. I had to restart the ipad and then do another synch removing photos before I could get rid of them all. Once I had got rid of them all I could then do a selective sync.

It may not be the same as your issue and if so then I am out of ideas!

Ancient Observer
25th Jun 2014, 12:25
Thanks.

All ideas gratefully received.

Apple helper thought they might have a response by Friday.

Failing that, I have a niece who does some sort of inter-galactic marketting based at their unbelievably expensive and flashy offices in Austin Tx so I'll get her on the job......

Mixture. BT gives me 50 gb for free, so 100usd to apple seems steep, to me, a poor pensionner.

Ancient Observer
2nd Jul 2014, 20:57
No help from Apple techies yet. I guess they are too busy spending their tax free salaries and playing with their free iPads. Too busy to help a cash paying consumer.

mixture
2nd Jul 2014, 21:58
No help from Apple techies yet. I guess they are too busy spending their tax free salaries and playing with their free iPads. Too busy to help a cash paying consumer.

And with that, you sir find yourself on my ignore list on a permanent basis. I've had enough of your stupid idiotic anti-Apple rantings.

If you can't be bothered to look beyond the end of your nose and see that Apple are not the only company making use of what legislation permits them, then I can't be bothered to read your posts either.

Good riddance to you.

rcmarple
3rd Jul 2014, 18:48
The Air has a retina display so syncs at a higher resolution than the older iPad. Basically, the software does this to optimise photos for the display on the iPad - not sure if you can overide it. Photos look amazing on the retinas :ok:

Ancient Observer
4th Jul 2014, 09:17
As an end consumer paying my after tax money to buy someone's products I will forever insist on my right to pass comment on mere suppliers.
To deny this right is either censorship or just plain small minded, especially from some one who slags off BT at every opportunity. You moan about BT and I will moan about apple and all the other cos that push up my taxes.

mixture
4th Jul 2014, 17:33
only because I unfortunately saw your post when I was logged out..

you moan about BT and I will moan about apple

My comments about BT are based on many years of hard factual experience spending more money with them then you'll ever spend with them in your lifetime.

Your comments about Apple are

(a) nothing but nonsense, e.g. :

guess they are too busy spending their tax free salaries and playing with their free iPads.

Both utter bull-crap .... their salaries are not tax free, and they don't get free iPads.

and (b) you are picking on Apple without looking beyond your nose to see that other companies are also exploiting tax legislation ... I'd have no problem with you if you were seeking to address the problem as a whole (i.e. revising legislation) .... what I do take issue with is you singling out on Apple when they are doing nothing different than any other large corporation.

Ancient Observer
10th Jul 2014, 13:13
rcmarple has it right.

The Apple techies came back to me to-day.

There is software in Itunes that detects which ipad you are attaching, and when it syncs the ipad 2 it compresses the files of photos as they go over. (That bit of info I have not heard before - It's not in the Handbook)

With the ipad air as the screen is allegedly so much better, it does not compress the files.

The Apple techies say there is no way of doing this compressing for an ipad air. (Other than doing it on my pc using someone else's software before the files are sync'd)

So any high-quality photo will take up much more space on an ipad air than it will on the ipad 2.

I wish I had known that when I bought an ipad air 32 gb. That will not even take my photos, let alone anything else. Apple will NOT allow me to "upgrade" my new machine to a 64gb one.

A very expensive mistake made by me, caused, in my opinion, by a lack of clarity in apple marketting.
Mind, they are unlikely to flog something with the strapline "Takes less than half the number of photos compared to our old model"
My cheap and cheerful android tablet will take all my photos with no compression as it has a micro-sd card slot.

Ancient Observer
10th Jul 2014, 13:22
mixture,

As I'm on your ignore list, you might not read this.

I do not brag in quite the same way as you, but I suspect that I have been responsible for a lot more Global spend with BT and other IT firms than you have. I have also made purchasing mistakes in the world of IT. Chapter and verse would waste our time.

And I have never singled out Apple, unlike Congress. I know that Amazon are worse.