PDA

View Full Version : Puma crew who assisted in a casevac in Glencoe 19th June 2014

youngskywalker
20th Jun 2014, 15:06
Like to pass our thanks to the crew of an RAF Puma who were training in the area of Glencoe yesterday 19th June around mid day. We were on the summit of Meal Derg where we rescued a badly injured 69yr old gent with serious leg injuries and blood loss. Phone reception was poor and we attracted the attention of the Puma crew who appeared to take up an orbit over our position. Rescue 177 arrived an hour later where they skillfully landed and took care of this old chap.

If the Puma crew helped to relay our position then I'd be greatful if somebody here knows who they may be amd could thank them from us. Also my thanks to Glencoe mountain rescue and the crew of Rescue 177.

I do believe this eldery man would not likely have survived the descent by foot. It was incredibly foolish for a man of that age, or any age for that matter to be on such a fearsome ridge alone and with no means of calling for assistance.

CoffmanStarter
20th Jun 2014, 15:46
YSW ...

Just a suggestion ... Why not drop a line to the Station Commander of RAF Benson, Group Captain Nigel Colman OBE MA RAF. He is also the Merlin and Puma Force Commander. Both 33 and 203 Puma Squadrons are based there :ok:

RAF Benson (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbenson/)

youngskywalker
20th Jun 2014, 16:47
Thank you for telling me where they were from, my knowledge of the Puma force is limited. I will drop him a line when I get home and in better internet.

Old-Duffer
21st Jun 2014, 05:13
Um Um Um!!

Sorry to be pedantic Coff; but it's 230 with the Puma - 203 a different bunch altogether.

Old Duffer

CoffmanStarter
21st Jun 2014, 08:43
No worries OD ... Brain ahead of fingers ... Again ! :ok: