PDA

View Full Version : OASC - Consider other trades?, yay or nay?

HARERJJ
22nd May 2002, 23:57
hi yall

having read some of the comments posted by some, i found a suggestion to all wannabe pilots to advise the folks at Cranners that pilot is there only choice

i want to join as a pilot. so, if i say i want to be either pilot, nav, wso, atc, fgtr cntrl etc etc - will they simply shelve me for anything but pilot?? assuming i'm good enuf for anything

what i'm saying is, have most or all people who have made it thru to pilot said that being pilot was there only choice?

is it a good thing to say - if ya don't offer me the keys to the nearest Tornado, I'm f##ck#n outta here!!!! - not quite those exact words sure, but hopefully you understand my question. I'm not going to be at OASC centre until next year at the earliest. failed filter interview in Feb. just continuing my long research programme

is it a good stategy to say that pilot is your only option and if they fail you, then you turn round and say "well, i guess i could do nav or whatever" no??

all constructive comments appreciated

sincerely
Paul

Slow Roll
23rd May 2002, 17:08
I think a lot of people worry about this (I certainly did) and while it's trite to say it, it's probably more down to the individual than anything.

If you have no intention of accepting anything other than pilot there is little point applying for other branches. At interview you will be asked about EVERY trade you have applied for and if you look ill-prepared/unmotivated towards one of these then it can only act to your detriment.

I'm sure there are counter-examples, but on the whole the RAF will only consider second choices if the candidate proves uncompetitive/unfit for the first option.

In short, apply for the jobs you want to do, in the order you want to do them. Accepting a branch you are half-motivated towards is likely to make the hard times very difficult indeed.

Good luck and hope that helps.

J.A.F.O.
23rd May 2002, 17:27
The world has changed a lot in the fifteen years since I was there but I would advise you to only apply for the branches/trades that you really do have the motivation to stick with through thick or thin.

If you apply for a trade that holds absolutely no interest for you then you will end up regretting it and you will have very little option to do anything about it.

The RAF (at least when I knew it) seemed to want officers who may make good pilots and not the reverse, so take care.

As I say, the world has changed a lot in the last 15 years but the points above are not theory.

J.A.F.O.
23rd May 2002, 17:28
Good Luck

Mach2
24th May 2002, 17:33
As someone reasonably familiar with the selection procedure and what the OASC boards are looking for, I can only echo what has been said in other posts - ie only put down branch choices that you would really be willing to accept if offered. That said, you will then be considered only for the branches that you have listed, and those in the order in which you have listed them. So if you only put 'pilot' and are not selected for that, you will not be offered anything else. You would have to reapply for a different branch and go through the selection process all over again ;)

Aynayda Pizaqvick
26th May 2002, 01:11
I put down only pilot and was told I had to have a second option. In any case they will give you sound careers advice at cranwell should you not get your first choice. There is no harm in going all out for pilot. All that displays is that you know what you want (some call it ambition).
If you do put down a second option, then do your study on it - there is nothing worse than being quizzed for 10 minutes about a career you know nothing about. (take my word on it!):confused: