PDA

View Full Version : SAA's "free" bag-wrapping may curb crime but adds hidden fares

dfdasein
17th Jun 2014, 15:17
SAA's "free" bag-wrapping may curb crime but adds hidden fares (http://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/saas-free-baggage-wrapping-may-curb-crime-but-adds-hidden-fares.htm)

PPL Hobbyist
18th Jun 2014, 20:39
Sod that! Do what I do. Buy pad locks and lock your bags. That's what I do.

Propstop
19th Jun 2014, 00:34
Even with padlocks they will be broken off so the bag can be looted. I have had this happen a few times at JNB

davidash
19th Jun 2014, 05:20
I have found that the best way with luggage is not to lock it or make it look valuable. Obviously do not leave anything valuable in your bag - that also helps!

cavortingcheetah
19th Jun 2014, 07:41
Visit your local sangoma and leave what he gives you wrapped inside the plastic on the outside of the case. It would give the plastic machine boys something to chatter about too? There are universal black magic signs just as there are specifically tribal ones.

VSB via OL
19th Jun 2014, 23:33
PPLHobbyist- seriously?, FAOR is notorious , padlock makes no difference. I've tried leaving bags unlocked with my dirty skids on the top- no chance- my old nikes went for a run all by themselves. I've 'touch wood' so far had no probs with bag wraps.
EK used to wrap bags, then stopped, but haven't been through JNB with them for a few years.

Capetonian
19th Jun 2014, 23:50
It's another indication of the ongoing tragedy that South Africa has become under the ANC that this bag-wrapping is necessary.

SAA is the biggest single customer of ACSA, but they can't exert enough influence to prevent rampant theft in the baggage handling department. I wonder why.

unstable load
20th Jun 2014, 08:32
Regardless of whether the cost is included in the fares, in CPT it still costs to wrap your bag.

Chris Opperman
20th Jun 2014, 09:53
Charged me R50 per bag.

Nookie2nite
13th Jul 2014, 07:04
My mate wrapped his bag in FAOR and when he got to FACT the wrapping was inside the bag, minus a few belongings....disgusting that acsa allows this to continue despite all the publicity....

unstable load
14th Jul 2014, 07:03
I flew JNB-CPT a week ago and asked about the service as it wasn't running when I went to check in at the small counter next to International arrivals and was told it was a pilot scheme that had finished and was now being evaluated for a decision to be made about continuing or not.