PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Falls

FerrypilotDK
17th Jun 2014, 12:02
Pax want to go to Victoria (in our Challenger) Runway looks long enough, but anyone been there lately? Security, hotel, airport.......looks like 3 parking stands only......overnight parking available etc???

Which approach is better for the falls, Victoria or from Livingston?

Thanks!

PPL Hobbyist
17th Jun 2014, 20:18
I have flown there just recently.

Airport ID is FVFA (VFA).
Elevation: 3490'ft MSL
The closest VOR is Livingstone (VLI) 112.5, so I guess that would suit you best from a navigational point of view and should get you nicely set up for a runway 12 landing.
Runways 30/12: Nice smooth Asphalt, 7708.8x98ft/2350x30m More than enough for you to land on.
Runway 12 has ILS at 110.7
DME VF 1.3NM @ 288 Frequency 247.0
DME FA 5.2NM @ 287 Frequency 256.0
Tower, Clearence Delivery, Approach, Ground and everything else are all on 121.1, so not much frequency changing for you to do :)

I found ATC there to be very helpful and professional. They will guide you in safely. If you choose a visual approach, they will most likely giude you over the falls and giude you in from there. The mist from the falls makes for a great landmark can't be missed. It is realy a fantastic sight to see. Well worth the very slight detour for your passengers to see.

I suggest that if you are planning to fly there to submit a flight plan directly to them at:
Tel: +263 (0)13 44428, +263 (0)13 44255, +263 (0)13 41576
Fax: +263 (0)13 44394

I suggest you plan an arrival time before 11am or after 2pm. Between those times they are dealing with the big commercial boys from Namibia, South Africa, and from Harare, mainly B737 and A32X. (Not that air traffic is over crowded, but the terminal is chaos.)

While I was there, I staid at the Kingdom hotel about 21km south of the airport and about 5km from the falls its self. It is a 4 star hotel. It is quite expensive, but they make it well worth your while. Their rooms are first class. Their buffet is fantastic and so is the service.

I am not so sure about your question about safe and secure parking. Do you mean for the pane or for a car? If it is for the plane, you can arrange for a airside stand, where it will be safe. Off course parking fees will apply. At the Kingdom hotel there is security there, so if anybody chooses to rent a car, I am sure it will be safe there too. I can't speak for any other hotel. You will have to do your own research on that.

Hope this helps. Good luck and safe landings.

FerrypilotDK
18th Jun 2014, 00:25
That helps a lot! It was aircraft parking I was wondering about. Thanks a lot for the updated info......

Even a hotel idea! Perfect! Thanks....

HansFlyer
18th Jun 2014, 11:59
Alternative?

Go to Livingstone (FLLS) in Zambia they are far less of an issue.

several nice places to stay literally on the bank of the falls

kotakota
18th Jun 2014, 19:11
Yeah , Livingstone for me , go and stay at River Club , fantastic .