PDA

View Full Version : Former RAF pilot robbed by passer-by

LFFC
16th Jun 2014, 19:41
I'm not usually one to post this type of link, but this does make me quite angry. I certainly hope the police do everything they can to find the culprit.

Former RAF pilot robbed by passer-by as he lay trapped and bleeding following motorbike crash. The Independent, Monday 16 June 2014

Former RAF pilot robbed by passer-by as he lay trapped and bleeding following motorbike crash - Crime - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/former-raf-pilot-robbed-by-passerby-as-he-lay-trapped-and-bleeding-following-motorbike-crash-9541082.html)

Wander00
16th Jun 2014, 20:11
Hope he makes a satisfactory recovery and they catch the evil b@stard

reds & greens
16th Jun 2014, 20:24
A sad and truly sick indictment of some of our society.
Hope he makes a good recovery from the incident

TheWizard
16th Jun 2014, 20:52
Not that it makes it any less of a sickening crime but in the interests of factual reporting (Daily Fail?!) he was a Corporal.
Classic lazy research: Old photo in glider + 'airman' = "former RAF pilot" :rolleyes:

'Samaritan' robs motorbike crash victim as he lies bleeding in the street | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2658570/Samaritan-robs-motorbike-crash-victim-lies-bleeding-street-Thief-ignored-RAF-pilots-injuries-steal-40-pockets.html)

Tankertrashnav
16th Jun 2014, 21:36
Quite right - it would be just as bad if he were a retired lavatory cleaner - but they ought to try and get their facts right - it's not that difficult - they only have to ask someone on PPRuNe !

Boudreaux Bob
16th Jun 2014, 22:05
I should think it would be far more newsworthy if it had been the other way around and it was the ex-RAF Pilot that did the robbing.:E

Lima Juliet
17th Jun 2014, 00:19
Well they got the picture of the Triumph Bonneville's tank right, so what more do you want? :8

parabellum
17th Jun 2014, 03:28
Those are the once in a life time occasions when, with your uninjured arm, you are just able to reach your 9mm Browning. :E

Buster Hyman
17th Jun 2014, 04:36
Is "Passer by" what you call the Government over there?

Trim Stab
17th Jun 2014, 05:06
Mr Stevens described his attacker as black, around 5ft 6ins tall, in his 40s and wearing a trilby hat

My money is on him being a Nigerian immigrant - it is SOPs to rob crash victims in Nigeria, and trilby hats are very fashionable there too.

Pontius Navigator
17th Jun 2014, 07:15
What always bugs me is the list of adjectives used by the press "former", "grandfather", etc etc.

What is relevant about what someone was 11 or even 22 years ago or Falklands Veteran. Maybe if a person has had a previously mentioned past, BoB Ace, Dambuster pilot, etc then it is relevant but what of the person today?

Capetonian
17th Jun 2014, 07:22
Mr Stevens described his attacker as black, around 5ft 6ins tall, in his 40s and wearing a trilby hatOh dear, Mr. Stevens must be racist then if he noticed the guy's colour before anything else.

TheWizard
17th Jun 2014, 07:36
Stupid comment.
In which order would you describe the perpetrator then?
The police describe people by their race and colour all the time when issuing descriptions.
If he had said "white, around 5ft 6" tall..." etc would you have mentioned it?

Red Line Entry
17th Jun 2014, 07:53
It said the thief was 'in his 40s'. Surely wearing a Trilby, they meant 'in the 1940s"

Actually, one of my primary schools had a Trilby as part of the uniform - and a very dashing bunch of 7 year olds we were too!

OvertHawk
17th Jun 2014, 09:38
Wizard - give Capetonian a break - he was being sarcastic!

500N
17th Jun 2014, 12:15
"If he had said "white, around 5ft 6" tall..." etc would you have mentioned it?"

Yes, except the general word used seems to be "Caucasian" !

ExRAFRadar
17th Jun 2014, 12:41
Wizard mate - you need to check your sarcastic detector, looks like it's U/S

ExRAFRadar
17th Jun 2014, 12:42
Unless it was a double bluff...

FerrypilotDK
17th Jun 2014, 12:46
Same sort of thing recently when a woman was killed in a car accident in Houston and her two injured children were in the car. The first to arrive.....robbed the valuables in the car instead of assisting the children. Shoot on sight, no regrets!

TheWizard
17th Jun 2014, 16:04
Wizard mate - you need to check your sarcastic detector, looks like it's U/S

Hmm, I'm not so sure.

This sort of knee jerk post really gets me angry and I felt the need to rant about it on the internet.

(Sarcasm mode functional checks complete) :ok:

Capetonian
17th Jun 2014, 16:48
Quote:

Mr Stevens described his attacker as black, around 5ft 6ins tall, in his 40s and wearing a trilby hat
Oh dear, Mr. Stevens must be racist then if he noticed the guy's colour before anything else. Silly me! It must be the attacker who's racist, as I'm sure he wouldn't have attacked another dark chap.

Roland Pulfrew
19th Jun 2014, 12:41
If he had said "white, around 5ft 6" tall..." etc would you have mentioned it?

Yes, except the general word used seems to be "Caucasian"

Would it? I thought the police used IC1 or IC3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC_codes) to describe ethnicity. Seem to remember it lots on 'The Bill' and now in Police Camera Action etc.