PDA

View Full Version : 4k tv

dazdaz1
16th Jun 2014, 14:52
Been thinking about buying (UK) any views? Most appreciated for feedback.

Metro man
16th Jun 2014, 15:16
Very little content available at the moment and very expensive. Hold off until there is something worth watching and buy a better TV at a lower price then.

tony draper
16th Jun 2014, 15:26
Some clips on youtube claiming to be 4k,dont see much difference betwixt that and 1080p unless youtube is limiting the resolution in some way.:)
Here's one,you have to select the 4k resolution on the thingy at the bottom,warning it is jerky even on the draper home made super puter and there are few swifter than it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TFC-nttP3U

Fat Magpie
16th Jun 2014, 16:27
4k is not the magic big new thing it's being promoted as, the next big thing is improving the displays dynamic range or the difference between dark and light.
4 k for film makers has some advantages, shooting in 4 k means you can crop and move with a standard 1080p frame.

Hold off and wait, as others have said, little content and new stuff is coming.

tony draper
16th Jun 2014, 16:47
I dont think 3D has been much of a success either,the two people I know who went the full wack ie smart 3D large screen dont seem to bother with it once the novelty has worn off,only having one 3D dvd between em probably doesn't help either.:)

Jhieminga
16th Jun 2014, 18:07
Agree with the above and there's also the fact that you would need to buy a very large screen before you can even see the difference between HD and 4K.

Saintsman
16th Jun 2014, 18:09
I saw a Panasonic one the other day and the price has fallen considerably since they first appeared. With the lack of suitable broadcasts in 4K, by the time they are reasonably available, they are likely to be a sensible price. As others have said, I'd hang on.

Capetonian
16th Jun 2014, 18:19
I had a look at a couple of curved screen 4K sets at John Lewis last month. Nice piece of kit but for >£2300 I couldn't see the real benefit in picture quality over less expensive equipment. I imagine that for sports fanatics watching really fast sport, and for ultra HD wildlife documentaries it might be noticeably better, but it's not something I'd buy at the moment. The key is, as said, the number of programmes that were made in such good quality. The ultimate output will only be as good as the lowest quality in the production chain.

Rosevidney1
16th Jun 2014, 19:52
According to a review I read little, if any, benefit is seen unless it is viewed at a closer distance than normal.

Hyph
16th Jun 2014, 22:04
I have a MacBook Pro Retina (which isn't quite 4K, but it's a lot closer than a 1080 HDTV) and those 4K clips on YouTube look astonishing. You need a suitably high resolution display, fast graphics processor in your computer and an unhindered fast internet connection to view them properly.

I had a look at the 4K TVs in John Lewis and Selfridges recently and I can definitely see the difference between 4K and HDTV. There is so much more detail in 4K, it felt like I was there. One demo clip was of a football match (clearly staged) where you could see individual blades of grass and another was of a woman in a room that was so lifelike I got goosebumps.

For those who say that you need to sit closer to the screen to see any difference - I certainly don't. I can see the difference very clearly at a normal viewing distance. It will also allow for very large screens without looking blocky, which I find irritating on most 50-inch+ HD sets today.

On the other hand, Mrs Hyph claims she can't see any difference at all between a what-the-butler-saw Mutoscope, Standard Def, HD and 4K.

I thought the curved screen TV was a load of tosh. Another fad that will disappear rapidly, IMHO.

As others have said, there's not a lot of content around yet, though there are plenty of 4K camcorders and cameras around so you can make your own. The price will drop as they become popular, so I would hold off for now. I will definitely be buying one.

Metro man
16th Jun 2014, 23:24
I bought a 3D TV and BLU Ray but can't remember the last time I used the feature. Picture quality from Apple TV is fantastic in HD, you can either rent (view once) or buy (unlimited viewing) and I can download onto my IPad and take it with me.

A 4K 65'' Samsung TV with a curved screen is on my buy list once prices drop to a sensible level. Early adopters pay silly money for the most basic kit.

Curious Pax
17th Jun 2014, 06:35
If TV owners only replaced their sets when they failed, the TV producers would be out of business in no time. The alternative is (with the connivance of the media) to regularly make a fuss about the 'new big thing' so that Joe Public upgrades early. Sometimes it's worthwhile (I think HDTV is worth having) and sometimes it's emperor's new clothes (3D and I suspect 4K).

Simplythebeast
17th Jun 2014, 07:11
Saw this article which seems relevent, I certainly womt be getting conned into 4K anytime soon...........

Despite widespread proliferation of Full HD 1080p TVs you actually consume very little 1080p content. Very few TV stations (cable and satellite) broadcast in 1080p due to bandwidth restrictions, instead opting for 720p or 1080i. 1080p is available in some areas from Netflix, and on Blu-ray discs, but that’s about it.

Likewise, despite the arrival of 4K Ultra High Definition TV, you probably won’t be watching UHD content for years to come. Streaming services like Netflix and YouTube will dabble in UHD programming, but there’s currently no optical disc standard that supports 4K, and there is no TV broadcaster anywhere on Earth that has yet laid out a timeline for UHD content. This won’t stop TV makers from advertising UHDTVs like they’re the next must-have gadget, though.

handsfree
17th Jun 2014, 07:20
I watched that clip of Mr D's on my iMac and the definition is incredible.
As someone said earlier - it doesn't make the [email protected] programmes any better though.

Capetonian
17th Jun 2014, 07:20
A friend of mine has just announced that he has bought one. He has a champagne and caviar lifestyle without the income to support it, so this takes him another step towards the inevitable when his credit runs out. He is one of those people that has to have the latest gadget regardless of cost and practicability and I suppose he is the type of person these devices are currently aimed at.

Sallyann1234
17th Jun 2014, 07:37
Until programmes are made that are really worth watching, there seems little point.

tony draper
17th Jun 2014, 09:05
Watching them on a 26 inch puter monitor two foot from me eyes and who's resolution is capable of much more than 4k through a puter with a quad core 4.2 ghz cpu and 8 gig of ram plus a graphic card with gig of vram Mr Ranger,ie the draper home made supa puter.:rolleyes:
Tiz the tinternet that is causing the jerkiness,normally I would download the clip but my youtube HD downloader only goes up to 1080p

tony draper
17th Jun 2014, 09:16
Some real bargins out there at the mo TV wise, got a 42 inch LG smart TV HD freeview tuners smart ie gets tinternet on it iplayer and youtube ect for 360,quid,from ARGOS that last year was the thick end of 600,which suggest all the above advice is correct,hang on for a while.
:)

Cacophonix
17th Jun 2014, 09:23
Finally succumbed to the wiles of a big flat screen "smart" television due to the blandishments and outright insults from my better half...

"you are a complete luddite, how can you live in the modern world without an HD smart TV..."

Having purchased said monstrosity and mounted it on the wall I then spent a happy hour or two integrating the beast with the household network all the better to listen to music on from the NAS server that hums away up stairs...

Having achieved audio harmony I was then faced with the deep depression of the realisation that that aside this silly piece of kit still shows the same garbage the old Cathode ray tube did!

Limped back up stairs to PPRuNe but the uber gruppen fuehrein appears happy with Coronation Street in all its HD glory! :{

Caco

tony draper
17th Jun 2014, 09:33
You tube and iplayer are simply festooned with hundreds of good documentaries,spend most of my tv time watching them Mr Cacophonix,the search is a tad slow though,one letter at a time,they are going to have to do summat about that.
:)
But then I have sole command of the remote.:E

Simplythebeast
17th Jun 2014, 09:37
Tomy, what monitor do you have that is capable of displaying much more than 4K then? Im interested in getting one.

tony draper
17th Jun 2014, 09:45
It's a LG,had it a while now,indeed my old Sony CRT monitor went up to a incredible if useless resolution,far higher than any TV, at full wack the windows desktop was the size of a postage stamp in the top left hand corner,and that was at the highest resolution the graphic card could manage.:uhoh:

Simplythebeast
17th Jun 2014, 10:06
Tony the highest definition that any LG monitor is capable of at present (according to LG) is 1920x1080.
They only list one 26inch monitor which is a very nice IPs screen but has a resolution of 1366x768.
It doesnt matter what your video card is capable of, the output is only as good as your monitor and the best LG at 1920x1080 isnt anywhere near 4K im afraid.

tony draper
17th Jun 2014, 10:12
Your right I've just googled it,ah well Draper wrong agan.:(

Simplythebeast
17th Jun 2014, 10:14
You had me all excited there and thinking of upgrading my monitor!

Cacophonix
17th Jun 2014, 10:17
But then I have sole command of the remote.:E

And therein lies the source of your peace and contentment Mr Draper. A contentment that goes far beyond any happiness a mere UHD TV could give you! :ok:

Caco

MagnusP
17th Jun 2014, 11:24
Hyph,
I thought the curved screen TV was a load of tosh.

Handy if you live in a lighthouse, though. :p

Metro man
17th Jun 2014, 12:46
Apple's Retinal Display is capable of very high resolutions.

Retina Display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_Display)

Simplythebeast
17th Jun 2014, 13:08
Nowhere near 4k yet.

cattletruck
17th Jun 2014, 13:18
http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff691e05fc39.jpg

TWT
17th Jun 2014, 14:06
NHK Japan had an 8K outside broadcast truck here in Recife,Brazil where I'm working for their World Cup match against Ivory Coast.They call it Super Hi Vision.It also comes with 22.2 surround sound,which has 24 audio channels.They are sending the output to the IBC in Rio on fibre for demo purposes.They only have a couple of 8K cameras though and were upconverting a load of 4K cameras to 8K.

Ultra high definition television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_high_definition_television)

Completely pointless,other than as a technical exercise.Way too much data to even consider trying to broadcast even after compression.

Would be great for sport or documentaries.But,as others have said,the acting isn't any better,the jokes aren't funnier and the plots aren't better.

Dee747
17th Jun 2014, 14:12
Was fortunate enough to have seen an 8K demo at the National Association of Broadcasters convention in Las Vegas in 2013, courtesy of our Nippon friends at NHK.

Utterly stunning on a huge screen. Just like looking at the real thing - no sense of a camera or display screen being involved. Makes what we have now look like a Dageurrotype. Now when that comes along at sensible prices I'll be at the head of the queue.

Rumoured to be aimed at massive advertising media using further new technologies such as rolled screens - the sort of thing you could cover the entire side of a building with, or hang from a blimp over a golf course during a tournament and it would still look like watching the equivalent of 1080p, but from the ground.

crewmeal
17th Jun 2014, 20:13
Next time you're browsing Curry's JL and whoever play around with the channels and see what you get. Curry's by far have the worst TV set up of any store. They have a glossy 4KHD preview which looks good on any brand of TV, but when the salesman isn't looking play around with the remote. Don't expect to see busty barmaids in Corro pulling pints in 4KHD you'll just get standard definition. At best some brands will upscale to $K but don't expect miracles.

Also remember despite what the salesman say the sound quality on some of these TVs is lousy with their tiny tinny speakers hidden in a frame.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

Windy Militant
17th Jun 2014, 21:26
Bah It's all a fad I'm hanging onto to my Baird Televisor and Cats whisker radio set. You wait, them Johnies at the space weather centre have got it all wrong and when those solar flares start up again you'll all wish you'd done the same! ;)

ATNotts
18th Jun 2014, 08:32
I'm still using SD - content made in HD is sharper also in SD anyway. I won't give the TV manufacturers / Sky etc. the benefit of my money for HD until they finally kill off SD transmission - which I reckon will be within the next couple of years anyway.

I despise Hollywood movies and simply don't want a massive TV screen dominating one wall of the living room so HD (let alone 4K) has no use whatsoever for me.

Still, each to their own.

dazdaz1
18th Jun 2014, 15:08
Thank you all for your replies, most thought provoking as to 4k and comparisons to other broadcast standards. I'll 'hang fire' to see what the future holds.

Daz