PDA

View Full Version : Something Whining over EGDM/SPTA

MOSTAFA
16th Jun 2014, 14:32
What on earth is making that awful dreadful whining racket over EGDM/SPTA or more importantly my house?

It sounds like a large bumblebee trapped in a big tin can. Its definitely got wings but is just incessantly going around and around, getting nowhere and before anybody says move...... in 30 years of piloting and living in this house I have never heard anything so irritating more importantly, its on my 2 weeks off! - I'm sure nobody minds the sound of a real aeroplane/Helicopter engine/s but that thing just sounds like a high pitched sewing machine and is just totally infuriating.

Wrathmonk
16th Jun 2014, 14:49
One of these (http://dronewars.net/2014/02/22/watch-out-watchkeepers-over-wiltshire/)perhaps? Or even one of its American cousins?

Old video but ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oseVplw5dtI

MOSTAFA
16th Jun 2014, 15:00
Certainly sounds similar - I just wish it would foxtrot oscar and annoy Timmy or whatever his new gang are called or better still Mr Bliar.

P6 Driver
16th Jun 2014, 20:24
In my experience, where aircraft are concerned, most of the whining noises come from those on the ground...
:ok:

chevvron
17th Jun 2014, 03:37
Why does it need an arrestor cable, doesn't it have brakes?

MOSTAFA
17th Jun 2014, 05:20
P6

In your experience I'm not surprised!

In mine it is an irritating whine, right over my house; alien to aviaton.

ShotOne
17th Jun 2014, 14:04
Good job you don't live in Gaza!

dead_pan
17th Jun 2014, 14:15
Was it strictly necessary to use a 2-stroke lawnmower engine to power it?

It sounds only slightly less annoying than those godawful powered paragliders. Can't honestly see the appeal is - dangling from a parafoil sat atop a chainsaw with prop attached, being overtaken by arthritic ants and the occasional continent.

MOSTAFA
17th Jun 2014, 15:02
I think I could cope with a good old 2 stroke or even the throb of a pair of
CT7-8A's but this thing sounds like a high pitched chain saw with little or no pitch change.

VX275
17th Jun 2014, 16:00
Its not a two-stroke its a Wankle and yes it does make an anoying buzz.
I don't know where you have been Mostafa but its been flying out of Boscombe for a month now and so some of us are begining to mentally switch its noise off.:\
It must be really dangerous though, as on its first flight out of Boscombe it was sheparded by a Gazelle, now when its anywhere in the circuit everything else flying out of Boscombe either foxtrot oscars or sits on the ground until its safely out of the way.
As for the Gaza Strip my one memory of the place was the constant noise of two-strokes at altitude and still being able to hear the UAV when it was 40 miles away.

MOSTAFA
17th Jun 2014, 16:42
2 week rotations - I must have missed them in Norway. I glanced at a EGDM notam it says its operating between 8-16k; well this fokker wasn't.

hoodie
17th Jun 2014, 18:14
8-16k South of the "old" Danger Areas. Inside them, where you are, is where it climbs.

thing
17th Jun 2014, 19:03
I'd be a bit worried mate if it's flying over your house all of the time...when you see the black Range Rover pull up run like buggery...:)

skydiver69
17th Jun 2014, 19:35
Maybe its the noise 77 virgins make when they are hen pecking the latest martyr to make an appearance in paradise.

handysnaks
17th Jun 2014, 20:14
Hmm, a whining noise over SPTA, once upon a time I'd have said it was a Lynx with the windows open.....:p:p

TCAS FAN
18th Jun 2014, 06:12
MOSTAFA

From what has been described it is most probably a Watchkeeper UAS. The annoying noise is not generated by the engine but by the prop tips. The engine operates at such high revolutions that the prop tips are close to the speed of sound.

MOSTAFA
18th Jun 2014, 07:35
Thx - I feel so much better now, knowing that it's not the Wankel engine (I had a car once that had one of them (RX7)) but, the tip speeds of the propeller. Mind you, saying that, the children must have broke their toy because I didn't hear a peep out of it yesterday! Maybe it's gone into stealth mode in search of all those virgins.

It's made my well earned rest so much more fun; it's given me a new lease on life and I am so looking forward to my next break and to annoying all those seagulls and fish, again, next week!

Martin the Martian
18th Jun 2014, 10:46
Is the noise all part of the psy-ops strategy? We'll fly it over the bad guys all day and all night until they get fed up with the noise and offer to give up their guns if we just take it away?

Surplus
18th Jun 2014, 12:51
Not exactly stealthy, wonder if the undetectable radius will be greater than the sensor useful range. The chaps on the ground usually get upset if you tip the bad guys off and your tasking dries up pretty quickly.

Maxibon
18th Jun 2014, 13:39
If it's a whining on SPTA, I can only think that it's my boss....

Gnd
19th Jun 2014, 17:21
Be very afraid - it's going to have our jobs and then see if it is the UAS or the pilots that wine the most?????????:sad:

MOSTAFA
19th Jun 2014, 17:54
I'll refrain from being afraid Gnd. I'm absolutely certain it won't ever have my job, not with 3 years left to do anyway. I doubt it will ever replace any of my successors either; where would the already nervous 19 pax sit?

Surplus
19th Jun 2014, 23:03
Be very afraid - it's going to have our jobs and then see if it is the UAS or the pilots that wine the most?????????

With 150kg payload, no weapons at present and as noisy as H***, Watchkeeper won't have anybodies job, but it's quieter, weapon capable cousins, already in operation, sure will! :(

Gnd
20th Jun 2014, 16:49
Surplus, good point. 19 pax, I know the answer if Ryanair are involved (http://www.standard.co.uk/business/markets/ryanair-boss-michael-oleary-it-will-happen--three-more-runways-at-heathrow-gatwick-and-stansted-9176036.html)?? Already here(ish) (http://www.golfhotelwhiskey.com/pilotless-aircraft-a-great-idea-for-michael-oleary-and-a-bad-one-for-co-pilots/)

dragartist
25th Jun 2014, 21:59
Hey Mostafa, You will be ok for a few days perhaps weeks, It would appear they are both in need of a bit of BDR. The man from airfix inbound with a tube of glue.

smujsmith
25th Jun 2014, 22:47
Hmm, whining and Aircraft.

As an official old bloke, I probably state the obvious, but, we often asked the question of the difference between the VC10 and its Crew ? The answer being that the aircraft stopped whining after landing and shut down.

Smudge:ok: