PDA

View Full Version : LEMD

caevans
14th Jun 2014, 12:09
Anybody done a fuel stop in Madrid lately? What's the turn-around like?

Thanks,

C.A. Evans

Jet Jockey A4
14th Jun 2014, 12:30
Did not do a "turn-around" (and I assume you mean a quick one) but have been there many times on overnights and the fuelling situation is not that good.

It's not the handler's fault IMHO but the way the fuelling is controlled at this airport. I would not want to do a quick turn-around at this airport and would tanker to avoid waiting for fuel.

In fact depending on the next flight and its destination we will go the day before and fuel then instead of waiting for the fuel truck on the day of departure.

dirk85
14th Jun 2014, 13:20
We fly there on a regular basis.

Never had to wait too much for the fuel, at least not longer than the average, if you consider such big airports. Call the handling on the frequency to arrange the truck, before landing.
Had worse experiences in LEBL.

Fuel is reasonably cheap, and handlers are ok.

If it wasn't for the insane taxi time in and out...

imriozer
14th Jun 2014, 15:12
Highly reccomend Malaga for a fuel stop.
Quick and efficient !

qUadform
14th Jun 2014, 15:16
Fueling shouldn't take long....it's the taxi time you should be worried about. If you have the option to go to a different airport....any airport, then do it. Madrid is kind of a nightmare.

what next
14th Jun 2014, 21:46
Madrid is kind of a nightmare.

Twenty minutes taxi time each way on a good day... They have four runways and whatever the wind direction, you can be sure that they will let you land and depart from the runway that requires the longest taxi route. Handlers and refuellers are OK, not like in Barcelona where you can wait an hour for fuel even if you pre-ordered it and no other plane is parked anywhere near.

caevans
15th Jun 2014, 07:54
Thanks fellows, kind of what I expected
based on some airline flights in and out.

silverknapper
15th Jun 2014, 13:08
I'm surprised at the positives. Obviously I've had bad experiences there but I've never found it anything other than disorganised chaos.

dirk85
15th Jun 2014, 15:09
I dont know when you have been there the last time, but since the new GA terminal has opened, and Torrejon closed, I can say that you get a pretty decent service there.

I-AINC
15th Jun 2014, 22:03
Consider for a turn around with refuel not less than 1h - 1h 15'.

Ecocharlie
17th Jun 2014, 20:04
In my opinion Jerez LEJR will be the faster in and out south bound and Zaragoza LEZG north bound

caevans
19th Jun 2014, 23:38
You were right on. We got parked where there was no hydrant, took a long time to get a truck, nosed us in to force a push back. Fueler spent more time on paperwork than fueling.

Net result: crew change and fuel took 1:20!!!!

Not going through Madrid again.

Thanks, happy landings!