PDA

View Full Version : Mildenhalls 352SOG yacht rescue

Navy_Adversary
22nd May 2002, 18:05
Great work from the guys(and galls) at RAF Mildenhalls 352nd Special Ops Group last night. A yacht was in trouble off the cornish coast but out of reach from the Seakings at RNAS Culdrose.
Just like in the movies when we were kids, blow the trumpets and get in the cavalry, or in this case USAF 352 SOG.
They sent 2 MH-53s 'Jollys' (probably 21st SOS Dust Devils)which were supported for refuelling purposes by 2 MC-130 Hercs ( probably 67thSOS)and these two Hercs were supported by a 100th ARW KC-135 tanker also from Mildenhall.
I'm not too sure how many people were rescued but I beieve the operation was a great success, Well done to all who took part in this operation including ATC etc.

Flatus Veteranus
22nd May 2002, 18:14
Well done guys! There is far too much blatant yankophobia on this forum. Give them a slap on the back when it is well earned.:)

slj
22nd May 2002, 19:34
As the yacht was Guernsey registered we in the Channel islands are grateful to the US Air Force even though our local BBC radio implied it was an RAF operation.

Probably because they didn't know that RAF Mildenhall was a USAF base.

Smoketoomuch
22nd May 2002, 20:11
Apparently involved a 12 hour flight and 8 refuellings [total?]. One 'Jolly' arrived on scene only to discover winch wasn't working so couldn't partake. 2 rescued with broken bones after boat did a complete 360. This from news reports so may not be 'entirely' accurate, but it certainly sounds like sterling stuff. As someone who occasionally sails in the area I'd lend my admiration and thanks.
Navy A: The quote of one of those rescued makes it sound just the cavalry :)
"The first we saw of them was two helicopters at day break coming over the horizon with both attached to a Hercules refuelling."

fobotcso
22nd May 2002, 20:31
Although we might have expected something like this from a Nation that put a man on the Moon nearly a quarter of a century ago, it is still awe-inspiring.

[Edit: did my sums again; that's nearly 35 years ago! Oh dear, where does the time go?]

Hope someone lets the crews know about the great impression they make in the aviation community - specially amongst the RW types.

Arkroyal
22nd May 2002, 21:42
Bloody well done all involved.

Can't help wondering how the UK SAR get involved in a rescue of a Guernsey registered yacht off the coast of Spain, though.

Big Tudor
23rd May 2002, 08:38
Was thinking the same think Ark Royal. Wonder why Spanish Air Force / Navy didn't get involved? Any Rotorheads care to comment?

Man-on-the-fence
23rd May 2002, 09:23
I had a long chat with a PJ and a pilot from the 352nd last year.

They guys are all damn heros and very modest with it (suprisingly so).

Well done.

NOTE to BLAIR

The Sea Kings are good but its about time we had some of the USAF kit for SAR/SF ops.

Max Contingency
23rd May 2002, 11:56
Ark Royal / Big Tudor

I have a friend at ARCC who tells me that the incident took place within the UK Search and Rescue Region, hence the involvement (small) by UK SAR. SAR missions are coordinated by the nation with the SAR responsibility irrespective of the nationality of the casualty. However, due to the long range, unavailability of embarked ops or HIFR, the USAF option was the only workable one.

The Mildenhall C130s were also in action last week when they refuelled a pair of Pavehawks out of Keflavik on another long range SAR mission.
These guys are not only'can do' but they have an impressive integral SAR capability including paracute jumping paramedics and a deployable boat!!

:eek:

Big Tudor
23rd May 2002, 14:26
Another question on a SAR theme (apologies if this has already been asked). Why do the USAF / USN SAR guys jump into the water and swim to the rescuees whilst the RAF / RN guys get winched down?

Bearintheair
23rd May 2002, 18:57
Its only the crabs who have to winch down, RN SAR cabs carry a SAR diver who is trained to jump from the aircraft in full diving kit if required.

SAR divers are a carry over from the old Fixed Wing carrier days when the planeguard helo would have a SAR diver ready to go in case a plank speared in off the flight deck.

I think that we actually invented the concept.

keepin it in trim
23rd May 2002, 19:07
bearintheair

you are slightly behind the times, SAR divers are no longer common on navy SAR cabs. I think Gannet might still have 2 max, one of whom is a reservist.

Brizzo
23rd May 2002, 19:12
Some years ago I was given a tour of a Jolly and a briefing on their whole setup. I was totally impressed by the American 'Can-do' approach.

I was then taken into one of the special Hercs, and shown the equipment. What impressed me most of all was a Dymo sticker on the coaming, which read "Keep a good lookout. A midair collision can spoil your whole day"

Well done guys!

24th May 2002, 07:07
Manonthefence - I'm with you, the SARForce is long overdue an overhaul. especially when it comes to aircraft. The standard Merlin fit (Cormorant spec) would give us the long range ability to do jobs like this yacht. Of course the problem is money - that and the governments apparent reluctance to honour it's obligations regarding SAR. Our SAR area of responsibility is vast but our ability to put a helicopter into most of it is severely limited - the best we can manage is a Sea King 3A which might get 270 miles past Ireland.
The American crews did a great job but wouldn't it be nice to see an RAF/RN helo tanking from an RAF herc and rescuing people from all areas of our SAR region?

STANDTO
24th May 2002, 19:18
Ah right. I've been wondering since the news report how they managed to get 800 miles out of a seaking.

silly old me

BLW Skylark 4
25th May 2002, 21:28
An ever so slightly off the subject post, but I think all SAR crews deserve much more recognition than they get.

Several years ago whilst returning to the UK from a Med. cruise on S.S. Canberra (in the Bay of Biscay to be precise), one of the passengers was taken ill with serious internal bleeding. Due to the seriousness of his condition, a medevac was organised and with a French Navy Atlantique acting I presume, as the co-ordinating commander, the casualty and his partner were airlifted off the stern of the ship by Super Frelon.

Anyone who knows Canberra will realise that post Falklands re-fit, she was not a fun ship to attempt such an operation from, with the Frelon having to hold station just behind the funnels and above the old Alice Springs Bar and pool.

I dont know if any French rotary guys read this forum, but credit to all involved and I hope the crewman who was busy videoing the rescue from the door got some good footage! If so, I'd love to see it.

I hope I never need SAR's services, but if I do, I know that they'd give 100% without a seond thought.

Tourist
26th May 2002, 17:23
Nice job. Should be proud of themselves.
For all the stick they get, got to give them credit for delivering the goods.
Incidentally, 819 NAS dont do SAR Divers - 4 man crew. 771 NAS always do- 5 man crew

Arkroyal
27th May 2002, 08:34
Max Cont.

Agreed, it was in our SAR area. My question should really have been 'why is it'.

As usual, the poor old UK tax payer takes the brunt of the costs involved in rescuing foreigners from a spot closer to another EU country than our own.

That said, I really enjoyed my SAR time, no matter who the customer.

slj
1st Jun 2002, 17:42
Nan 2002

Right, It was a 201 sqd Nimrod and a Guernsey registered yacht but not Guernsey people on board or even a yacht based in Guernsey.

More a registration of convenience.