PDA

View Full Version : The decorated RAF officer, his fiancée and Country Life

airborne_artist
13th Jun 2014, 11:43
A heartening story:

"RAF helicopter pilot who read Country Life while recovering from being shot in Afghanistan is celebrating the magazine's decision to feature his fiancée on their Girls in Pearls page after he wrote to the editor"

Link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10895667/Chinook-pilot-persuades-Country-Life-to-feature-fiancee-after-reading-it-when-injured-in-Afghanistan.html)

Bet that will cost a barrel though :E

Top Bunk Tester
13th Jun 2014, 12:30
Didn't see any evidence of a pearl necklace in the photo ;)

BEagle
13th Jun 2014, 12:32
Bet that will cost a barrel though...

And precisely why should it?

Good luck for the wedding tomorrow week - and very best wishes for their future together!

2Planks
13th Jun 2014, 15:16
Same reason as appearing in RAF News used to cost a slab.

BWs to the happy couple.

Wander00
13th Jun 2014, 15:58
Best of luck for a long and happy marriage. Photo was very nice too

fantom
13th Jun 2014, 16:51
Anyone with a DFC gets my very best wishes.

Al R
13th Jun 2014, 20:18
Good story. Best of luck for the future.

Wensleydale
13th Jun 2014, 20:44
The report says that they are getting married in the church at Hubberholme in the Yorkshire Dales. A beautiful spot if I may say so (even if it is in Upper Wharfedale and not Wensleydale). I trust that the Robert Thompson mice carved into the church woodwork will bring them much luck and happiness for the future!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
13th Jun 2014, 21:06
Indeed, I know it well. Pub is The George? I used to live in Coverdale!
Best of luck to them both :ok:

500N
13th Jun 2014, 21:26
Good to see support from CL.

I see he has left the RAF, that's a lot of experience to lose or does it not matter ?

Wensleydale
13th Jun 2014, 21:27
Ah yes, the Foresters' in Carlton!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
13th Jun 2014, 21:29
Thwaite Arms in Horsehouse was my local. 93 steps in my slippers; considerably more on the way back!

TheWizard
13th Jun 2014, 21:34
Good to see support from CL.

I see he has left the RAF, that's a lot of experience to lose or does it not matter ?

Where does it say he has left??

500N
13th Jun 2014, 21:40
Oops, sorry, my mistake.

Wensleydale
13th Jun 2014, 21:46
"Thwaite Arms in Horsehouse was my local. 93 steps in my slippers; considerably more on the way back!"

Last time I visited it was a bit further to get there... from West Burton to walk down Walden then over Fleensop to Horsehouse... up Coverdale to Carlton then back to Walden and West Burton via Howden Lodge. This is well before my knees went of course! (Or perhaps I should describe the route as Fox and Hounds, Thwaite arms, Foresters Arms). A cracking route with curlews and cuckoos enjoying the spring.

I just looked this up in my walking log - it was in Jun 2007! Camping at the excellent Bainbridge Ings site in Hawes....47 miles in 5 days! I wish my arthritis would let me do this now!

TBM-Legend
13th Jun 2014, 21:48
Very nice story. :D

PS: get a hair cut!:hmm:

500N
13th Jun 2014, 23:28
Salad

Uncalled for.

Why not send him a PM if you have a beef with Fox3.

Landroger
14th Jun 2014, 17:34
Please excuse the ignorance, but is this the same chap who was flying Bravo November, with a TV reporting crew in the back, when they got called into a very serious fire fight for a casevac? It sounded like BN was being puched full of holes.

If so, respec'. Best wishes anyway.

Roger

glad rag
15th Jun 2014, 10:33
Ian loves it which is the most important thing.
“It was a bit of a shock when I first found out what he had done but I am always up for trying these things.”

Some awesome misquoting from the article ;)

All the very best to them both. Here's hoping things quieten down for them!!

:ok:

VinRouge
15th Jun 2014, 10:58
Sad to hear Ian is no longer serving. Remember him going through Linton a decade ago, fairly sure he used to hoon round in his own sports biplane.

FantomZorbin
15th Jun 2014, 11:15
Land roger
It is indeed ... As you say, Respect. FZjnr affirms that he's a great bloke.
All the very best wishes for a long and happy future:D

Courtney Mil
15th Jun 2014, 21:32
I love it. What a great follow-up to the terrible event back in 2010. Good for you, Flt Lt. Congratulations and I wish you a world of happiness.

Hueymeister
16th Jun 2014, 08:36
Nice one Chomps...

Wishing you both all the very best for the 21st and beyond.

seniortrooper
16th Jun 2014, 09:01
Read the report:

(a) He hasn't left.
(b) He is a Sqdn Ldr (now)
(c) A very very lucky lad both professionally and personally!

The very best of life to him and his betrothed.......:ok:

alfred_the_great
16th Jun 2014, 20:45
For some bizarre reason, Country Life is delivered to all RN Warships on deployment. At every port visit, it was with great anticipation and hope we opened up the CL wrapper and turned to the deb of the month page, followed by the inevitable crushing disappointment as we read they were engaged to be married.

This chap isn't helping!