PDA

View Full Version : European pilot looking for Carebbean

Breakthesilence
13th Jun 2014, 08:21
Hi there,

I've always had the dream of flying in the Caribbean area on small turboprops (especially the Twin Otter).

In your opinion, may an european airline pilot with more than 5000 hours on B737 be considered by one of the airlines in the caribbean for those kind of operations?

What are the airlines hiring there?

Thank you so much for your help

BTS

Flying Mechanic
15th Jun 2014, 15:42
Well to attain that dream, go down there to the Csribbean and knock on some doors. I did it, backpack, license, logbook,3 white shirts, blue trousers. That's the only way you get the chance the meet managers/Chief Pilot. I ended up being Chief pilot, everyday cv's came thick and fast through the fax machine, very few knocked on the door.

Breakthesilence
16th Jun 2014, 11:05
Do they require a FAA license?

What about the work permit etc?

Thank you so much :ok:

zondaracer
16th Jun 2014, 12:42
A friend of mine from Europe went down to Saint Martin and got a job at Winair after a couple months of insisting (plus buying his own Twin Otter type rating). Flying on his EASA license. Your best bet is to try European territories first before the independent nations.

Flying Mechanic
16th Jun 2014, 14:52
FAA lid is pretty handy down there, work permit wise, you will get sponsored.
The island I flew on , there was ozzies, swedes, South Americans, kiwis , most people got the license validated from their respective country. The FAA one is the easiest to maintain.

Breakthesilence
16th Jun 2014, 17:27
Thank you very much for these informations :ok:

flyingswiss
25th Jun 2014, 12:39
I'm a Swiss citizen flying a Twin Otter in the Caribbean, we have several guys that came from the Jet airliner world, mainly 737/A320. But they all started their career flying in this environment and only later moved on to the Jets.

As someone said, most pilots hired here showed up at the door, I actually don't know of any working for us that has been hired over the Internet.

Our Training captain flew over 20 years for Win Air, and from his words it`s seems like a very good operator.

carib90
26th Jun 2014, 19:18
I fly for Winair and I am a european citizen. A lot of the islands are european territories so that works to your advantage. Especially if you are dutch or french.

flyingswiss
26th Jun 2014, 23:27
Only Guadeloupe, Martinique and St Martin are European territory (and down south Guyane), none of the Dutch and British Islands are part of the EU. On those Islands they give preference to the respective Dutch and British citizens only.

For work purposes it doesn't really matter if you are American, European,..but they do give preference to citizens of other island countries. If you go to Curacao as EU citizen you won't get a permit as easy as lets say a Trini.

flaps35
10th Jul 2014, 07:07
Hi Carib90,could you please check your PM.

Greetings

sadrojer
30th Jul 2014, 19:48
How about working with an FAA ticket there? Do you know any particular places/companies to go?
I have ATP minimums (50hrs ME), mostly on Cessnas.
Thanks in advance,
Yury

BigC208
31st Jul 2014, 14:24
Seaborne has been hiring lately. Saab and Twin-Otter flown out of SJU.

sadrojer
2nd Aug 2014, 03:19
It doesn't work for me, they ask for US passport. I'm Russian BTW.
But thanks anyway, BigC208!

flaps35
3rd Aug 2014, 16:48
Hi guys,

any recent information about Winair F/O reqruitment?

flyingswiss
8th Aug 2014, 23:24
For outsider (FO) it use to be 500 TT 250 Multi and DHC6 rating

We have 3 former winair captains at my current company, and according to them it has become very hard to get hired if you are not local.

flaps35
10th Aug 2014, 15:31
Flyingswiss,

I am a Dutch citizen, and Dutch citizens get very easy work permission,correct me if I am wrong.

gerpols
16th Oct 2014, 18:55
Guys, izzit true that Dutch citizens have an advantage if it comes to getting a work permit, in Sint Maarten for instance ?

Thanks,

GP

BushBrad
17th Feb 2016, 23:43
Hey there,

Sint Maarten has the same Dutch passport as you. You can live and work there freely. Unsure about the French side though . . I think Frenc st martin is part of the EU. Curacao for example is not t hough, but being Dutch you can work there but other EU nationals need a work permit under the same rules as say myself (American). Personal contact goes a long ways there I understand though to land a job.

african pirate
7th Mar 2016, 11:06
Hi everyone. I am considering working in the Caribbean region. I currently fly Britten Norman Islanders in the UK. I am just verging on 2000 hours total time with around 600 on the Islander. I was wondering what the salary / conditions are like working for Fly Montserrat. If anyone could offer any information, I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys.