PDA

View Full Version : Mysteries solved/unsolved

probes
11th Jun 2014, 11:38
As one more has happened these days (well, a couple of months ago), I was thinking about things we'll never know (probably). I personally would like to know what happened in Machu Picchu (so that people had to abandon it or just disappear somehow), how some semi-precious stones can be so beautiful and if there's life after death - Robert Lanza says there is - and how people could possibly build the El Camino del Rey ("Without a connecting walkway, workers would have to continue climbing down the side of one mountain and up the side of the other mountain. This was, obviously, a time consuming, tedious, and dangerous task." - well, but still. If you look at the heights...).
Titanic has been found, Marilyn Monroe was most probably murdered... so what else? What have you been puzzled by?

Sallyann1234
11th Jun 2014, 11:57
Let's start with an easy one. What happened before the Big Bang?

tony draper
11th Jun 2014, 12:05
We had some honest folk in the financial and banking industry.:rolleyes:

Kelly Hopper
11th Jun 2014, 12:10
"What happened before the Big Bang?"

Big Foreplay?

Simplythebeast
11th Jun 2014, 12:20
Where DO all those lost socks go?

TWT
11th Jun 2014, 12:27
You didn't know ? They are all here :

Lost Sock Planet (http://lostsockplanet.com/)

david1300
11th Jun 2014, 12:27
Kelly :ok::ok:

SpringHeeledJack
11th Jun 2014, 12:35
Where DO all those lost socks go?

Many are 'lost' or misplaced in the sides of the washing machine drum, others secreted in sleeves/pockets and corners of other items of clothing, but…..a good number just disappear. It's quite uncanny :suspect:

I think that mysteries are a part of the human condition, we almost encourage them so that we can wonder and theorise and perhaps even attribute super-natural influences to their happening. Many mysteries are simply happenings that were none of our business and perhaps those involved wished to protect their interests said nothing. Others are mysterious due to no evidence, when mr Occam and his razor would (will) provide the answer. Some are due to natural effects not yet understood or discovered to date and some are perhaps due to………….:oh:

SHJ

jolihokistix
11th Jun 2014, 12:52
Where exactly the melted corium has now got down to below each of reactors 1,2 and 3 in Fukushima, and how much damage was done to each reactor and torus in a) the earthquake, b) the tsunami and c) the resultant hydrogen explosions. 

(Just the clear facts is fine, no pro or anti-nuclear axe to grind.)

dubbleyew eight
11th Jun 2014, 13:06
probes all vanished ancient civilisations before the spanish conquistadors were wiped out by drought.

another site Angkor Watt was over 400 square kilometres of water management and droughts defeated even the best preparations in asia.

machu pichu likewise was defeated by drought.

easter island another society destroyed by drought.

after the invasion of europeans diseases destroyed entire populations in south america.

there is no life after death. better you do all you want in the present :E

Ancient Mariner
11th Jun 2014, 13:07
What is my wife actually saying? :suspect:
Per

tony draper
11th Jun 2014, 13:16
How is it people just suddenly disap

onetrack
11th Jun 2014, 13:18
Did Ed Leedskalnin really move all those massive oolitic limestone rocks (averaging 14 tonnes each), all by himself, to build the "Coral Castle" - and did he really "discover the secret of the Pyramids"? :confused:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Jun 2014, 13:20
I thought Easter Island was destroyed by deforestation?
(i.e. the droughts would not have affected them so badly if they'd still had trees)

joli - almost all the damage was caused directly or indirectly by the tsunami. The plant was built to Japanese Government standards, however these standards deliberately underestimated the likely size of the tsunami, and also basically assumed the tsunami wall would never be breached/topped. As a consequence all the back-up systems were also taken out by the tsunami. Source: talk from the Japanese Red Cross expert in charge of the disaster relief op, and my own analysis of the back-up systems. To oversimplify a bit, they put the back-up gear (4 levels of redundancy) in the basement, so once the water got over the tsunami wall.......Yup, it was that dumb.

SpringHeeledJack
11th Jun 2014, 13:23
Did Ed Leedskalnin really move all those massive oolitic limestone rocks (averaging 14 tonnes each), all by himself, to build the "Coral Castle" - and did he really "discover the secret of the Pyramids"?

Wasn't that proved to be done by clever pivots and levers ? I'm not dismissing his harnessing unknown forces to overcome gravity btw. I'm sure that there was some carpenter who proved how he did it not long ago.

SHJ

onetrack
11th Jun 2014, 13:49
SHJ - Yep, a carpenter bloke by the name of Wallington will sell you all the secrets of the Pyramids. :(

The Forgotten Technology (http://www.theforgottentechnology.com/newpage1)

oncemorealoft
11th Jun 2014, 13:53
My brother and I have, for some years, been trying to get European funding to research the enigma that is the "phantom turd". You know - the ones when you feel it go, you hear the satisfying splash but when you look around in the bowl, there's nothing there. My brother and I have discussed this many times over a beer and feel there must be a link with Dark Matter, which physicist say accounts for much of the universe's mass but remains unseen.

Our nuclear physicist sister has shown little interest as has the rest of the scientific community. Typical!

500N
11th Jun 2014, 13:56
Something we have over here called the Min Min lights.

In the bush (country), a light or lights that bounce (move) up and down
on the horizon yet nothing can be out there, except desert.

Alloa Akbar
11th Jun 2014, 13:59
Women.. There's an unsolved mystery if ever there was..

Saratogapp
11th Jun 2014, 14:29
Oncemorealoft...that is indeed a ponderous mystery and obviously worthy of a government grant. I wish you success with the paper work.

MagnusP
11th Jun 2014, 14:41
I wish you success with the paper work

The roll is just adjacent to the seat.

dubbleyew eight
11th Jun 2014, 14:50
min min lights? oh for f sake.

periodically refraction occurs right on the horizon. this bends light from way way over the horizon so that it appears to be on the horizon.

the min min lights were explained as the refracted headlights of cars on a distant road.

look out from perth on such a refractive day and a mirror image of rottnest island appears hovering in the sky above the faint image of the actual rottnest.

tony draper
11th Jun 2014, 15:23
How come after the untold millions in foreign aid we spend those furriners are all still as raggidy arsed as they ever were.
:uhoh:

onetrack
11th Jun 2014, 15:30
dubbleyew - Don't tell me you wouldn't crap yourself big-time, if you were travelling alone in the Outback and a set of lights in the middle distance started following your every move!! :ooh:

I've been travelling up the Gt Northern Hwy, well North of Wubin, on my way to Cue, very late at night, in my Landcruiser wagon, with almost non-existent traffic, when I encountered a set of headlights coming towards me.
This set of headlights was puzzling, because they were dull, like an old 6V Vee-Dub's headlights, as compared to all the normally bright headlights and spotlights I'd been encountering up until then.

I gauged the headlights were about 5kms away (relatively flat country out there) when they first popped into view, and I watched them approach with some curiosity, wondering who would be travelling very late at night out there in an old VW.

The headlights got to within about a km of me (they always appeared to be on low beam from first sighting, and they never dipped) - when suddenly, they turned left off the highway (to my right) and totally vanished. It was like the lights were turned off, straight after they turned 90 deg left.

I backed off the speed to see if I could find the truck bay or side road where the vehicle might have turned off.
I slowed to about 25kmh, put my high beam and spotlights on - but there was nothing to be seen.
There was just endless solid bush (native vegetation consisting of scrubby bushes and small trees). No side road, no truck bay, nothing.

I stopped and turned off the 'Cruiser and listened. Not a sound broke the still night. I turned around and drove back a kilometre, looking to see if perhaps the vehicle had crashed into the scrub. There was absolutely nothing but the unbroken bush.

I turned around and drove on, towards Cue, totally and absolutely flummoxed. I have no explanation for what I saw, and I've spent a lot of long lonely nights in some seriously remote and isolated places in Australia.
The lights followed the road exactly towards me, and I know they came within about a km of me, because I could see them lighting up the road.

Hydromet
11th Jun 2014, 16:16
The Min Min lights haven't been seen for some time, now.

You can't get the wood, you know, Min.

Akubra, Dryzabone, etc.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Jun 2014, 16:51
We'll all be murdered in our beds! ;)

ShyTorque
12th Jun 2014, 01:05
My brother and I have, for some years, been trying to get European funding to research the enigma that is the "phantom turd". You know - the ones when you feel it go, you hear the satisfying splash but when you look around in the bowl, there's nothing there. My brother and I have discussed this many times over a beer and feel there must be a link with Dark Matter, which physicist say accounts for much of the universe's mass but remains unseen.

Our nuclear physicist sister has shown little interest as has the rest of the scientific community. Typical!

Enough to drive one completely round the bend!

West Coast
12th Jun 2014, 02:11
G spot, where that damned thing go?

Pinky the pilot
12th Jun 2014, 02:29
Who was the reprehensible scoundrel who stole the cork from my dinner?:mad:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Jun 2014, 02:32
West Coast - You've just got to know where to look. Try here..

The Cosmo G Spot Finder - G Spot Techniques and Positions - Cosmopolitan (http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/tips-moves/yes-you-have-a-g-spot-0409)

I can assure you it exists, but the size and extra intensity of the effect does seem to vary a lot from woman to woman.

500N
12th Jun 2014, 02:32
W8

What happens when you have a few hundred to a 1000 kms between you and the next road ?

Like in the middle of Aus, Woomera, Gibber Stone Desert, Simpson Desert etc.

Dushan
12th Jun 2014, 03:10
Did OJ really do it?

Lantern10
12th Jun 2014, 03:21
How come wire coat-hangers breed like rabbits?

con-pilot
12th Jun 2014, 04:08
How come wire coat-hangers breed like rabbits?

No, how do pens grow legs, go into your closet and turn into coat-hangers, is what I want to know.

mikedreamer787
12th Jun 2014, 06:08
Why is it you'll store odd pieces of useless
junk for years and years on end, eventually
throw it out, and within a week have a real
need for some of it? Then one has to go &
buy the new items, when the formally kept
ones, though used, would have been quite
adaquate. Worse, and happens often - the
item(s) aren't manufactured anymore.

Who'd actually started the craze of eating
cows? I mean who first looked at Bluebell
and decided then and there to chop her up
and make a BBQ of her? Someone must've.
Someone bloody hungry too.

Why is sex outside marriage so tabooed by
the world's major religions? Is it because it
is so pleasurable? With that logic having a
lovely good shit should get you the Lake of
Fire sentence too. Same having a good tug.

Why do brand new highlighter pens run out
when you need to do some really important
highlighting, only to find shortly thereafter
while just idly doodling with the said pen it
works just fine?

If Latin is a dead language, why do doctors
et al write prescriptions in it? Also Latin is
used in everyday life in many written / oral
vernaculars, so am I wrong in saying it aint
really dead at all? QED.

Why is the space bar the first thing to break
down on any keyboard? Over use? Then why
aren't space bar keys........friggin' reinforced
then.....by........the...............manufacturers
.....?.......Especially......when they..........get
.........stuck?

onetrack
12th Jun 2014, 07:21
In that vein - who was the friggin' idiot who put the CTRL button right below the SHIFT button - so when you go to type a capital letter, you hit CTRL instead, and send the cursor flying to some distant part of the text - or it deletes every single thing you've just written up in a flash - or shuts the page down entirely?? :{

ShyTorque
12th Jun 2014, 13:17
What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Alloa Akbar
12th Jun 2014, 13:27
How fast does shit come off a shiny shovel?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Jun 2014, 13:28
Shy - linoleum. I asked my maternal grandmother that 40 years ago, and she said "The best thing since linoleum" preceded sliced bread.

Mike - Doctors write in Greek, lawyers write in Latin. The purpose of using a dead language was originally because the terms originated in that language, but now it is so that there can be no confusion over meaning, as could happen with a dynamic, living language like English.

Sex outside marriage isn't the only reason agnosticism/atheism is popular, but it's a pretty good one :ok:

'Shit off a shiny shovel' travels faster than 'greased weasel shit' but slower than 'the speed of a thousand gazelles' - about 700 kts.

Thomas coupling
12th Jun 2014, 13:35
Will Septic Bladder ever be deposed at FIFA?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Jun 2014, 14:11
No, but he won't get re-elected next year.

p.s. Platini has just pulled his support - but you heard it here first!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27810126

Alloa Akbar
12th Jun 2014, 15:40
Fox - Cheers fella, I will remember to annotate my next car for sale ad accordingly.. :ok:

PS- Whilst you are in good form.. whats stickier than shit to a table cloth?

Flash2001
12th Jun 2014, 16:27
Semen to a seat cover!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Jun 2014, 18:30
Spit breaks down semen, since it is a protein.
The worst is anything that has been ironed without the stain being removed, since the heat produces chemical bonding between the stain and the fabric. Any heat can do it. I had a pair of jeans with grass stains on the knees that had been heated by friction which proved an impossible stain to get out. But when you've worked out how you can get friction burns and grass together, you'll realise it was well worth it :E She thought so too - I got bought a new pair!

Hydromet
13th Jun 2014, 00:04
How come wire coat-hangers breed like rabbits?It's my strong belief that the paperclips that proliferate anywhere but where they should be are actually coat-hanger eggs, which is why I find myself twisting them (it renders them infertile, you know) when I'm on the phone.

tony draper
13th Jun 2014, 08:56
Et In Arcadia Ego.:E

probes
14th Jun 2014, 07:34
Why is it you'll store odd pieces of useless junk for years and ears on end, eventually throw it out, and within a week have a real need for some of it?
that's the most universal law of the Universe, if you ask me. Happens the next day for me, mostly (that I need the junk).
Who'd actually started the craze of eating cows?
there are more puzzling meals, actually:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjXrpVtshk59gBtvixl6478EzWmKsc2R5zw0-a7PnW3ztxnjLq

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzyfFwBErx1bN4WkOBEFWlEpV5zNIUQ5Ea8_ofJ-z6wxVBmqYu9g

Hempy
14th Jun 2014, 10:50
Let's start with an easy one. What happened before the Big Bang?

Now Sallyann, this post highlights the limitations of the human brain.

By assuming that there was a 'before' the big bang, you are assuming there HAD to be a 'start' to it all. I mean, it all had to start somewhere, right?

Why?

Why does there 'have to be' a beginning? Our human experience, life, teaches us that all things must begin and end.

But is this the way in all of the universe?

Ascend Charlie
14th Jun 2014, 11:46
Food questions:

Who decided "I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes out of that chook's @rse!"

When/who was the first (jewish) follower of JC who decided "I'm gonna start a new tribe called Christians. Forget the old rules, let's eat a pig!" - and I'm definitely glad he did!!!

Mighty brave person who first ate an oyster, or the "cockroach of the sea"- crabs.

Why does a person revel in the smell of his own fart but reacts badly to someone else's?

When you pick a juicy booger, why does nobody offer it to their friends to roll into a ball and flick out the window?

cockney steve
14th Jun 2014, 12:24
A concise explanation of the big bang, according to Steve. A concentration of matter reaches a critical mass the bang occurs and the stuff flies away from the centre,,,, As the bits travel further, they slow down and their gravitational pull on each other, weakens,thus slownig the slowing-down,,,,,eventually the big bang energy is expended, that which we call the universe, is in equilibrium....except it isn't! Although the bits have stopped flying apart, they still attract each other with their gravity....gradually, they start moving backthe way they came, all the while,accelerating then the whole lot recombines and all that mass and energy becomes so dense and concentrated that it explodes....a big bang and the universe restarts again. we can extrapolate when this one started and "earth" was created.....we have no idea how many times previously the cycle occurred, nor how many times it will occur in future.

Can I have my Nobel prize now, please?

Ancient Observer
14th Jun 2014, 13:10
Why would anyone support Tottenham Hotspur?

Why do people in Surrey and Sussex have more season tickets in manure than those from Lancashire?

SpringHeeledJack
14th Jun 2014, 13:41
A concise explanation of the big bang, according to Steve. A concentration of matter reaches a critical mass the bang occurs and the stuff flies away from the centre,,,, As the bits travel further, they slow down and their gravitational pull on each other, weakens,thus slownig the slowing-down,,,,,eventually the big bang energy is expended, that which we call the universe, is in equilibrium....except it isn't! Although the bits have stopped flying apart, they still attract each other with their gravity....gradually, they start moving backthe way they came, all the while,accelerating then the whole lot recombines and all that mass and energy becomes so dense and concentrated that it explodes....a big bang and the universe restarts again. we can extrapolate when this one started and "earth" was created.....we have no idea how many times previously the cycle occurred, nor how many times it will occur in future.

That's probably not far off the reality, but what and how did the original matter come to exist ? And to really cook one's noodle how did the ether come into existence :confused:

SHJ

dubbleyew eight
14th Jun 2014, 13:56
how is it that the americans have a national debt equal in size to the wealth of all the rest of the worlds nations put together?
how will they ever pay it off?

onetrack
14th Jun 2014, 14:05
They'll just print more currency with no asset backing, same as they've done before. Or they'll just go for a currency devaluation, same as they did just after WW2.
Either way, the investors in the greenback lose.
Why do you think the Chinese (one of the biggest investors in the greenback) are rapidly exchanging US dollars for stockpiles of raw commodity materials, mines, gold, and any other tangible asset they can lay their hands on??

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th Jun 2014, 15:32
Why would anyone support Tottenham Hotspur?

Because they hate someone who supports Arsenal!

brickhistory
14th Jun 2014, 15:42
how is it that the americans have a national debt equal in size to the wealth
of all the rest of the worlds nations put together?

GREAT question!

Part, certainly not all, of the cause is the nuclear and conventional military umbrella we've been holding for most of the Western world for some decades.

I'm quite happy to close it or at least get a smaller one that fits only one.

lomapaseo
14th Jun 2014, 18:51
ow is it that the americans have a national debt equal in size to the wealth
of all the rest of the worlds nations put together?

we expect to pay off our debts when the countries we have loaned money and arms pay us back..

The spoils of war from our forays don't seem to cover the costs.

onetrack
15th Jun 2014, 01:34
lomapaseo:we expect to pay off our debts when the countries we have loaned money and arms pay us back..Good luck with that long wait. How many trillions of American-supplied armaments have been destroyed, or are rotting away, in the dozens of countries where you supplied them? - in the hope of gaining mutually-and-economically-beneficial "friendships", that never appeared?? :rolleyes:

jolihokistix
17th Jun 2014, 05:05
Fox3wheresmybanana: "joli - almost all the damage was caused directly or indirectly by the tsunami. The plant was built to Japanese Government standards, however these standards deliberately underestimated the likely size of the tsunami, and also basically assumed the tsunami wall would never be breached/topped. As a consequence all the back-up systems were also taken out by the tsunami. Source: talk from the Japanese Red Cross expert in charge of the disaster relief op, and my own analysis of the back-up systems. To oversimplify a bit, they put the back-up gear (4 levels of redundancy) in the basement, so once the water got over the tsunami wall.......Yup, it was that dumb."

Yes, that is the general story, but behind the scenes there seems to be evidence that in the case of No. 1 reactor at least the earthquake did the real damage and the tsunami was secondary, although this is not the official line as it would mess up the J govt's plans to restart reactors around the country.
Have a look here:
Pre-Tsunami Damage At Fukushima Daiichi | SimplyInfo (http://www.fukuleaks.org/web/?page_id=10166)

Fareastdriver
17th Jun 2014, 06:10
A concise explanation of the big bang, according to Steve

You forgot to mention all the other universes doing the same thing.