PDA

View Full Version : Sailing - there's hardly ever any decent wind?

mrsurrey
10th Jun 2014, 21:29
Evening,

I've been crewing for a mate's dad's yacht, and each time we've been pottering around the solent at 10 knots. So I googled the historic wind speeds and it looks like there's only about 1-3 days per month of decent wind of at least 20 knots.

Am I right in thinking it's a pretty much an impractical sport?

Cheers,

MrS

John Hill
10th Jun 2014, 21:51
I think the enjoyment of sailing depends on what you want to do and the style of the boat. Some boats are built to handle light airs and others are built to go safely around The Horn.

To my mind 10 knots is quite a pleasant speed for pottering around in a cruising boat but maybe a bit boring on a racing skiff.

Ancient Mariner
10th Jun 2014, 22:03
This may come as a surprise to you, but the internal combustion engine to which you may connect a propeller that drives your vessel through the water has been invented. Well worth a try.
Per

superq7
10th Jun 2014, 22:09
I'd recommend joining a sailing club and go dinghy racing the Laser class boat is terrific fun, :ok:

500N
10th Jun 2014, 22:17
As much as I am not a fan of sailing

"I'd recommend joining a sailing club and go dinghy racing the [email protected] class boat is terrific fun, :ok:"

+ 1

plus agree with if you enjoy sailing and don't want to do the above,
find a boat more suited to the winds you have.

I am surprised that the Solent has such calm winds but I suppose is it sheltered.

Can you not sail to a more exposed area of the Solent ?

yotty
11th Jun 2014, 10:11
Hi mrsurrey, do you mean wind speed or boat speed? 10kts boat speed in any sort of wind is pretty good for any monohull under 40feet! My 30 footer (Light displacement with a generous sail area) achieved hull speed in about 12 knots of wind and then it was a matter of reducing sail to keep the hull upright as the wind increased. As the wind built up the waves would only slow you down unless you were well offwind! :)

yotty
11th Jun 2014, 10:16
John Hill; do you mean skiffs like this? 18 FT SKIFF CRASHES - YouTube

MagnusP
11th Jun 2014, 12:45
The wind has all been consumed by Salmond's turbines. We're all doomed.

goldfrog
11th Jun 2014, 15:12
Take up cycling, I can assure you you can then always find a headwind

yotty
11th Jun 2014, 15:18
Latest info from the Bank! BRAMBLEMET - Weather Reports from Bramble Bank (http://www.bramblemet.co.uk/%28S%283iaxfjqaajimdkrbgur1lr45%29%29/wind.aspx)

500N
11th Jun 2014, 21:27
Shooting.

You get to eat something afterwards !

John Hill
11th Jun 2014, 21:38
Yotty, yes, do you think ten knots of wind would get enough excitement on one of those? Of course you might like to try it where the water is warm.:)

BTW, I crossed the Pacific once on a 32' sloop and we were lucky to make 100 miles in a day.