PDA

View Full Version : National Service for all Emirati Men

Tight Seat
10th Jun 2014, 04:33
So all Emirati men aged 18-30 now must do at least 9 months military service. I wonder how the UAE airlines will manage this manpower issue?

pilotrob23
10th Jun 2014, 04:43
They will hire Europeans, South Africans, Australians, and Americans I assume.

Tight Seat
10th Jun 2014, 04:49
Ah but Rob, I assume that this rule applies to local pilots already flying the line.

falconeasydriver
10th Jun 2014, 05:08
I can imagine a few cocky rather chubby coffee shop bound habibi's sweating a bit more than usual today.
What a joy it would be to see some of these individuals square bashing and learning how to get that mirror boot shine:E
I suspect however that the right "connections" will ensure that medical and other factors will help many avoid their 9 months.

Wheres my payrise!

thehonourablefong
10th Jun 2014, 05:38
I have to say, if I didn't feel sorry for the military who would have to put up with them all, some sort of national service back home might sort a few of the UK's not insignificant social problems out...

Rule3
10th Jun 2014, 05:44
Pilotrob23....you forgot to add.....To do the National Service for them.:ouch:

Al Murdoch
10th Jun 2014, 06:02
As ever the Pan Arabian Enquirer sums it up perfectly:
Maids prepare for UAE military service | The Pan-Arabia Enquirer (http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wordpress/maids-prepare-for-uae-military-service/)

Dropp the Pilot
10th Jun 2014, 06:06
Far, far from being an original idea. Cut and paste from the interweb...

No conscription in the North during the Civil War was absolute. The drafted man could always hire a substitute if he could afford it. Starting in 1862, the U.S. government allowed this escape from military service on the theory that, so long as each name drawn from the wheel produced a man, it made no difference whether the drafted person or one hired to take his place appeared for muster. The Conscription Act of 3 March 1863 legalized this method of draft evasion. Until the act of 24 February 1864, the conscript could choose between hiring a substitute or paying the government $300 as commutation of service. Thereafter, the government only permitted substitution, except for conscientious objectors. Furthermore, exemption by furnishing a substitute extended only until the next succeeding draft, at which point the principal again became liable. Immediately, the prices of substitutes rose far above the $300 to which the commutation clause had held them. For this reason, legal draft evasion became the prerogative of only the unusually well-to-do.
From the early days of the war, the Confederacy also allowed a limited substitution system. The first Confederate Conscription Act permitted substitutes from men not legally liable to service to the extent of one man a month in each company. The second conscription act made men previously furnishing substitutes again liable to serve, thus causing much dissension and legal action. By the end of 1863, the Confederacy had abolished the whole system. Scholars have never accurately compiled the number of substitutes.

Read more: Substitutes, Civil War: Information from Answers.com (http://www.answers.com/topic/substitutes-civil-war#ixzz34DJt7hMP)

HamFan
11th Jun 2014, 08:09
"so long as each name drawn from the wheel produced a man, it made no difference whether the drafted person or one hired to take his place appeared"

Unless they were just about to draft the hired man as well!

Here's a local undergoing weapons training in the first batch of recruits:

jDHHj0nPpho

Alconguin Crusader
11th Jun 2014, 12:19
Dropp something that happened almost 160 years ago I don't know how much relevance you want to put on it as it relates to present day Police States'.