PDA

View Full Version : Help Setting Up Wifi Please

Edac
9th Jun 2014, 21:23
I just moved in with my grandparents who have internet connection from a cable connected to the back of a Ubee DVW325 cable modem. From there, to connect to the internet, they connect an ethernet cable from the back of the modem to the side of their laptop, and they have internet. My wife and I have smart phones with a small amount of data on our plan, so I want to connect them to wifi. I had a network set up at home with my D-Link DIR-868L dual band router, and an ethernet cable connected to the back of it. So I just plugged the ethernet cable from the side of my grandparents computer to the back of my router, turned on the router, and the networks show up, but there is no internet access. There is still internet access if I hook the ethernet cable to the side of the laptop. So, I know the router is working fine, and the internet is working fine, I just can't seem to get the router to recognize the internet. When I turn it on, the power light turns green, but the globe stays orange, and I think it's supposed to be blue.

If anyone knows what I should do, please let me know. I've tried running network diagnostics, which said I needed to reset the mode, so I did, several times, to no avail. Still no internet over wifi.

Thanks in advance!

Saab Dastard
10th Jun 2014, 11:43
Have you run the setup / configuration routine for your router? Download the manual - DIR-868L Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Cloud Router with AC SmartBeamTM Technology | D-Link UK (http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-868l-wireless-ac1750-dual-band-gigabit-router) and read the configuration section.

Do you know if you use a static or a DHCP assigned address on the laptop? Open a command prompt on the laptop and run ipconfig /all and look for DHCP, it will be either yes or no.

You may need to clone the laptop MAC address for the router to talk to the cable modem.

SD

mixture
10th Jun 2014, 12:04
Edac,

Any reason you can't replace the Ubee DVW325 with a cable router that supports WiFi ?

In the long run, that would give you most peace of mind, because troubleshooting can be tricky once you start putting boxes in front (double NAT breaking stuff etc).

Booglebox
10th Jun 2014, 14:00
Regarding double-NAT, Mixture makes a good point (for once :E), however another way around this is if you put your second router (D-link) into "access point" mode, moving most of the routing functions to the primary Ubee box, which you then don't have to replace.

Saab Dastard
10th Jun 2014, 18:01
If you are correct that your grandparents have a Ubee DVW325, then it's not just a cable modem, it is also a router and WiFi access point, so you should be able to utilise its built-in wifi capability.

DVW stands for Data, Voice, Wireless.

The specs for the DVW325 are:

Cable: F-Connector, female
USB: 1 USB 2.0 Host Port
8 x 4 Channel Bonding
LAN: 4 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ-45 Ports
2 RJ-11 ports (telephony), PacketCable 1.5/2.0 Compatible
DOCSIS 3.0 certified
DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0
CE/FCC Class B, Energy Star Certified, WiFi Alliance Certified, UAPSD (power savings)
Supports 8 WiFi SSIDs, 802.11b/g/n compliant with link speeds up to 300 Mbps, 2 Tx

SD