PDA

View Full Version : Karachi Airport Attack

Old King Coal
8th Jun 2014, 20:20
This was so predictable!

http://rt.com/news/164604-pakistan-airport-attack-dead/

And especially so when we get 'Flight Crew Notices', such as this one (issued to us on 12th February 2014), demonstrating yet another instalment of incompetent nonsense from Pakistan's airport security regimen: We have received notification from the Ministry of Defence Airport Security Forces in Karachi that the validity of all categories of Airport Entry Passes / Vehicle Stickers for Karachi airport that expired at the end of 2011, have been extended up to 15th August ‘14.

This means that as you are checking airport staff Airport Passes in Karachi prior to allowing entry into our aircraft you may find that they have an expiry date of 31 December 2011. Be advised that those passes are valid until 15th August 2014.You really couldn't make it up!! :ugh:

lowstandard
9th Jun 2014, 09:16
Nice to see EK giving us an update on the well being of our colleagues who were in the middle of it all. No doubt they will be sent for a debriefing whenever they arrive back in DXB.

Thanks for the commercial updates though, I am sure there will be some extra profit to be made from this. I am sure someone on the top floor is thinking this a great opportunity for an inaugural 380 trip, think of the media exposure!!

myekppa
9th Jun 2014, 09:31
Think it's about time I increased my life insurance policy or found a roster without KHI on it.

Calmcavok
9th Jun 2014, 10:06
I agree, some info on colleagues that are stuck in KHI, and the station staff would be nice. Not particularly interested in what flights pax are being rebooked on!

SOPS
9th Jun 2014, 10:26
Maybe a silly question, but why are they still there?

777boyindubai
9th Jun 2014, 10:37
Emirates passengers caught up in Karachi airport attack - Transport - ArabianBusiness.com (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emirates-passengers-caught-up-in-karachi-airport-attack-553304.html)

Iver
9th Jun 2014, 13:51
Pretty soon Kabul will be considered a safer destination...

DCS99
9th Jun 2014, 14:16
Where was the update on our colleagues lowstandard?

Have I missed a mail?

Edit: ah, I understand. We got no update. It must be confidential. My sarcasm detector had been deactivated.

whossorrynow
9th Jun 2014, 16:19
We got no update. It must be confidential.

There is a TCAS missive out now.
But expect the usual 'Recall'.
He's used the wrong flight number.

Kapitanleutnant
9th Jun 2014, 20:34
Evidently, the bad guys were wearing airport uniforms as well as airport security uniforms and no doubt, had the "out of date but still valid airport ID's".

Did I read correctly the EK crew was already taxiing out and got called back to the gate?

Kap

BLOGGSON
10th Jun 2014, 05:32
Yes, recalled to the gate. Think I would have considered just effing off at max thrust.

Anyway, all is well now and completely safe again, so we are to resume normal operations to KHI.

Allegedly.

TheDarkHorse
10th Jun 2014, 08:06
"The safety of our passengers and crew is of utmost importance and will not be compromised"

Whenever you get an EK press report with regards to safety, they always write Passengers first then crew. Most airlines I've seen state that the safety of crew first in the phrase then passengers.
Obviously its not written in stone but to my mind this always seems to show just how much importance they show for their crew.

No doubt the crew have been told "not to talk to media if you do you're out of a job" For some who haven't been involved in a job which involves the active threat of death etc then this may well be one of the most stressful working conditions they may experience and once again EK will try and shut them up with scare tactics so that it doesn't possibly damage how incompetent they may have possibly been during an event as such or their precious brand image :ugh:

SOPS
10th Jun 2014, 08:07
Just breaking....KHI airport is a again under attack. Sky News reporting this at 12.03 pm.

Update, flights now suspended again.

TheDarkHorse
10th Jun 2014, 08:31
SOPS - Seems like EK615 was diverted into KHI for tech reasons. Wonder if it left yet - doesn't seem to have done.

The prior crew seem to have been given time off after their 21 hour layover in KHI.

SOPS
10th Jun 2014, 08:38
The 601 has returned to the gate in KHI.

Spoogie
10th Jun 2014, 08:39
Caption taken from CNN.com

Pakistan airport terrorist attack: 7 bodies found in cold storage - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/09/world/asia/pakistan-karachi-airport-attacks/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

Could this passenger he be a high value target??

We felt like sitting ducks'
Farooq Sattar, a member of parliament, was on a plane at the airport when the attack took place.
"My aircraft was on the tarmac ready to take off when suddenly, from what I understand, a message came to the pilot saying to get off the runway and return to the gate," Sattar said. "I heard shots and saw smoke."
"Before the pilot could announce anything, I had text messages blowing up my phone saying 'Karachi airport under attack.' We were in the aircraft for three hours, full of fuel. They locked the doors.
"The airport was poorly guarded. It was only due to some airport security personnel that the attack got thwarted and the militants didn't make it to our part of the airport. Passengers were extremely nervous. They started looking at me for answers."
"We felt like sitting ducks on the tarmac," he added.
Two crew members who were on their first ever flight "freaked out," Sattar said.

TheDarkHorse
10th Jun 2014, 08:39
NCC seem to be very optimistic about a 1500 STD

The first ever flight seems to coincide with what we know here...supernumerary comes to mind

nakbin330
10th Jun 2014, 08:40
Gotta admire EK's resilience in it's pursuit of the almighty $.

TheDarkHorse
10th Jun 2014, 08:59
According to EK website EK601 is departing :D

Full steam ahead for the revenue chaps

The Guru
10th Jun 2014, 09:28
One could ask why after having watched the safety video, a distinguished member of parliament is disclosing that he had his phone turned on and was receiving text messages while on board an aircraft that was taxiing to depart?:ugh::=

It just goes to show the ignorance of the average passenger, and their inability to follow the most basic of directions during normal operations, let alone following command authority during an abnormal situation or time critical event.:uhoh:

You would expect any regulator to act on such an open admission, but alas....:hmm:

Watch out for each other. Fly safe,

The G.

Spoogie
10th Jun 2014, 09:34
Good point...!!!:ok:

for a member of parliament, his choice of words were...lets say....not the most appropriate - "I had text messages blowing up my phone saying 'Karachi airport under attack"

Don't think it was only his phone "blowing up" at the time.

Al Murdoch
10th Jun 2014, 13:02
There is no story too sad, no tragedy too great, no number of casualties too high, in which Emirates pilots will not find something worth complaining about.
I really do despair sometimes.

Payscale
10th Jun 2014, 15:24
RIP to the 7 Gerrys DNATA workers killed. Prayers go to their families.

777boyindubai
10th Jun 2014, 15:41
God Bless our DNATA colleagues. Poor Families

pilotday
10th Jun 2014, 17:22
I doubt Emirates' life insurance will cover expenses. Assuming Dnata offered such a thing. At least 5 year pay?

Act of War clause. Even if "on duty"?????

good luck to the families collecting anything.

RETARD_RETARD_RETARD
10th Jun 2014, 17:47
Whilst I see the mild banter, apparently Eastern SkyJets Boeing 737 operating on a ACMI deal for Air Indus(the aircraft was visible on CNN's Footage) took a few shots when Pakistan Rangers exchanged fire.

I heard the aircraft took a few around the mid section of the fuselage and a few on the wing.

HamFan
11th Jun 2014, 07:22
"God Bless our DNATA colleagues"

It's because of god that all this crap is ongoing after centuries.

FLEX/MCT
11th Jun 2014, 07:27
Not HIS god though, probably some other god...

airbusgirl66
11th Jun 2014, 15:51
Please….lets have respect for those who lost their lives in this horrible tragedy regardless of what "God" is or is not at fault. Greatest of sympathies to the families involved. Only hoping that EK can truly realize the danger they are potentially putting their crews in, and be a bit more prudent in deciding whether it's safe or not to send crews there WITHOUT the thought of the almighty dirham.
On a side note….kind of makes the flights resuming to Conakry (ebola virus capital) seem like a good deal. :ugh:

RoyalEnfield
11th Jun 2014, 16:22
Pakistan airport attacks: Cathay Pacific cancels Karachi flights - World - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pakistan-airport-attacks-cathay-pacific-cancels-karachi-flights-1.2671775)

myekppa
11th Jun 2014, 18:30
Agree with airbus girl.

I have plenty of respect for those that lost their lives and their families.

I also have respect for those that have lost colleagues and are required to continue to work at KHI airport under questionable security, i.e. ground staff, engineers, pilots and cabin crew. I say questionable as there has been zero assurance that we have a safe work environment.

As for Al Murdoch, any venting displayed here is one of uncertainty and genuine fear for our safety when we operate to KHI, principally because of the lack of assurance or trust that the airport is secure. My suggestion is that you crawl back into the tiny dark hole in which you came from until you can show my colleagues and I some respect for the work we do.

RoyalEnfield
12th Jun 2014, 16:12
"...any venting displayed here is one of uncertainty and genuine fear for our safety when we operate to KHI, principally because of the lack of assurance or trust that the airport is secure"

I completely agree. Evidently CX thought it would be prudent to cancel flights into KHI for the time being.

On another note, the crews flying into Iraq better be careful too. It looks like Baghdad might fall into ISIL hands pretty soon.

pilotday
12th Jun 2014, 16:40
I'm sure EK has all the bean counters calculating the risk/benefit of going into KHI.

Aircraft = insured with no "Act of War" clause
Crew = replaceable with health and life insurance with "Act of War" clauses

Maybe Cathay's insurance company pulled the plug.

Its all money with no compassion.

lowstandard
12th Jun 2014, 17:07
The reason why there is nothing sent out to crews via notam or any company notice about the security situation at KHI is that it would be an admission by the company that there is a security concern which would make them liable for any possible loss of life of property. Nice legal notice sent out to everyone just after the crew got home and I am sure if your lucky enough to get a trip you'll just get a verbal security briefing from a suit at HQ.

They're answer is to put extra fuel on board for "ops flexibility". The same notams for KHI and security pass validation are still being used.

Jaws Mayor Fourth of July - YouTube