PDA

View Full Version : Would you start training in the current climate? (advice needed)

fede91
8th Jun 2014, 15:58
Hi guys i am really considering to start my trainining as an airline pilot but i am really turned down by all the negative comments about the industry and the situation on the market. I am 22 years old from italy, 7.5 Ielts and i just completed a bachelor degree in business and finance. I have been admitted to a top tier business school in milan but i feel that this is not the carreer i want to do. So i came back on my dream of becoming a pilot. I have collected a lot of information about almost everything and i also visited a local school in my city just to have a general idea. I really want to do it, but there's on the plate a very large amount of money (70K euro- 100K euro) so i want to be REALISTIC about the prospects of a future career and i will be happy to have some advice from you that have for sure more information than me.
My target airlines are Ryanair or easyjet or another european airline because of family problems, as i cant' move outside of europe in the next years.
I also want to know from you if in your opinion it's worth to spend 100K to go to schools like CTC or Oxford oaa or if attending these schools doesn't increase significantly the odds of getting my target job.( given that they are 30K euro more expensive than ''normal'' schools.)

Thank you in advance for help guys

Dash8driver1312
8th Jun 2014, 16:44
I really hate to be the first downer but...

There is a large list of qualified pilots looking for work and most airlines are still consolidating/downsizing unless they are well-funded middle eastern operations.

If all you have looked at is Ryanair and Easyjet, then you absolutely open your eyes and look around more. Everyone is writing to these guys...also, no offence but you're the first person I have ever come across who said that Ryanair would be their dream. Pay may be good but conditions are bad and staff have a high turnover rate there.

Unless you speak a high standard of German, forget Lufthansa or Swiss.

I really don't want to say it but 7 years ago, I would have said go for it but now...not so much.

On the other hand, definitely do try to find if there are any recruitment fairs/events, seriously build up a good network of people in the business if you can, and work bl**dy hard if you really want it.

Halfwayback
8th Jun 2014, 17:17
Welcome to the Wannabee forum where you will find lots of people willing to offer help but t hey do expect you to do some research yourself before asking a question that has bee asked and answered many time before.

Could I respectfully ask you to spend a little time reading through the forum whilst you prepare yourself for business school? You will find a lot of information out there - especially if you use the Search function - that will help you make an informed decision about your future rather than a collection of varied views from a bulletin board!

Good luck with the research

Halfwayback