PDA

View Full Version : Here We Go Again

Dushan
8th Jun 2014, 01:45
Another US citizen detained by Kim Fat Un.

North Korea Says It Has Detained a U.S. Citizen - WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/articles/north-korea-says-it-has-detained-a-u-s-citizen-1402027558?mod=WSJ_hppMIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsSecond)

In Washington, a State Department official said: "We are aware of reports that a third U.S. citizen was detained in North Korea. There is no greater priority for us than the welfare and safety of U.S. citizens abroad." The official said the department couldn't confirm any details of the incident.

Unfortunately there are no North Korean terrorists in Gitmo so these three are in for along wait.

Andu
8th Jun 2014, 01:49
I'm tempted to ask WTF US citizens are doing visiting that Godforsaken place?

oldpax
8th Jun 2014, 02:16
There are tour groups operating to North Korea .There is a you tube documentary by a young American explaining why he went there.

West Coast
8th Jun 2014, 03:01
It's not just US citizens NK has a fondness for.

MG23
8th Jun 2014, 04:37
There are tour groups operating to North Korea .There is a you tube documentary by a young American explaining why he went there.

Apparently they have a ski resort now.

parabellum
8th Jun 2014, 04:50
"There is no greater priority for us than the welfare and safety of U.S. citizens abroad."

That statement begs the question why didn't they also negotiate the release of the young couple, still detained by the Taliban, when they negotiated the release of the alleged deserter, the wife is pregnant?

Dushan
8th Jun 2014, 04:59
parabellum, you will never make it as an NBC reporter. You ask hard questions.

10Watt
8th Jun 2014, 06:57
There`s me thinking the greatest priority would be the homeland.

You guys appear to have nearly as many public relation half-wits as us.

Look on the bright side, with the population you have they are thinner on

the ground :)

OFSO
8th Jun 2014, 10:18
I'm tempted to ask WTF US citizens are doing visiting that Godforsaken place?

Andu, you are so right. Every now and then one of my friends or family gets arrested/beaten up/robbed/in a road acident/ the pox - in some ghastly corner of this benighted planet and my first reaction is always WTF where you doing there in the first place, you silly sod ?

Stick to Butlins, Bogner Regis, and none of these things will happen to you (except perhaps contracting the last one on my list).

TWT
8th Jun 2014, 10:23
Maybe some people that go there are hoping to be arrested so they can write a book,or be offered an exclusive by the media for their story when they are released,to make some cash.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

John Hill
8th Jun 2014, 10:42
People go there for all sorts of reasons although it is very difficult to know if the story they tell you is the true reason for them being there or if it is a cover story.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th Jun 2014, 11:04
I propose that state rescue from such places would be charged at cost. People will therefore wish to consider taking out insurance - the cost of which should be more convincing than anything else of the stupidity of visiting there in the first place.

John Hill
8th Jun 2014, 11:21
... the stupidity of visiting there in the first place.

The stupidity is what some people do when they are there.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th Jun 2014, 11:23
The insurance companies,if they remain true to form, would refuse to pay out for such antics. Capitalism isn't all bad :ok:

John Hill
8th Jun 2014, 11:47
I dont know if any travel insurance companies will pay out for whatever may happen to someone who breaks the laws of any country they are visiting.

Saltie
8th Jun 2014, 13:33
John,you really do put quite a bit of effort into your constant trolls designed to get people to 'bite', don't you? Consider yourself successful in this case with me.

Dushan
8th Jun 2014, 14:09
Does anyone know what "crimes" this fellow committed? The Norks won't tell us. Surely if it is something serious like murder they would want him detained, but if it is something trivial like jaywalking then write him a ticket, fine him, and let him go. Oh, wait, he probably didn't bow deep enough in front of the statue of Kim Dead Ill.

Dushan
8th Jun 2014, 14:40
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y462/staffpicks/Blog/Doughnut%20GIFs/tumblr_mezjawOZ3w1rt8levo1_500.gif (http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/staffpicks/media/Blog/Doughnut%20GIFs/tumblr_mezjawOZ3w1rt8levo1_500.gif.html)

mixture
8th Jun 2014, 19:09
Does anyone know what "crimes" this fellow committed?

I'm afraid I'm with Andu on this one....

A US citizen visiting North Korea.

Seriously ? :ugh:

The words "asking for trouble" come to mind here.

I mean, of all the countries in the world, why go to one where the USA is constantly unashamedly and publicly declared to be enemy number one that must be destroyed.

No tea and sympathy here I'm afraid. He must have known the risks he was taking.

ArthurR
8th Jun 2014, 19:29
Why didn't he visit Cuba, and Dushan I am still trying to spot the doughnut.

Matari
8th Jun 2014, 22:46
One of the other North Korea threads was started about a hapless US Korean War vet who was arrested and detained in North Korea.

One of the learned PPruners hinted darkly that he must have been held due to some kind of war crimes, just as that same PPruner hints that the visitor this time must have broken some law and should have known better.

If I can believe what is written here at times, North Korea is a wonderful place, with modern bowling alleys, Mongolian bars, even choice pâté de foie gras. Who wouldn't want to partake?

Hilarity ensured on the other threads when we were asked who started the war, and were told that Kim Jong Un was a reformer, and other such revelations.

We didn't have much of a chance to discuss the starvation outside of Pyongyang, or how the Sunshine Policy actually kept the murderous Kim regime in power, or other topics. We did hear a lot about Donald Rumsfeld and evil Yanks, of course. We set our watches for that and sure enough it appeared right on schedule, just like it is bound to do here.

Dushan
10th Jun 2014, 01:21
Why didn't he visit Cuba, and Dushan I am still trying to spot the doughnut.

You can't see the doughnut? The doughnut is staring at the spinning donut.

Cacophonix
10th Jun 2014, 01:33
Doesn't Dushan look like Alan Alda?

Just saying... :ok:

Caco

Matari
10th Jun 2014, 01:41
No, Alan Alda looks like Dushan.

Cacophonix
10th Jun 2014, 01:56
You are right to point out Mr Alda... ;)
http://www.bergproperties.com/media/uploads/bergproperties/old_wp/_blog_wp-content_uploads_2008_12_tn2_alan_alda_1.jpg

As for Dushan (a charming chap, I am happy to admit that I have met the fellah...
)
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/dushan_divjak/IMG_2163_zps409cd39d.jpg

Caco

OFSO
10th Jun 2014, 11:18
Me also, and they are both very charming, as Mrs OFSO keeps reminding me !