PDA

View Full Version : Incident last week

helibod
22nd May 2002, 11:48
Does anyone know anything about an incident last week at Alan Manns place? Apparently a Squirrel flipped over and tried to saw it's way into their hangar with it's main rotor!!

Can anyone shed any light?

I understand all walked away - hope this is the case.

Old cynic
22nd May 2002, 12:01
All walked away, shaken if not stirred. Squirrel - not maintained by Manns - running on pad flipped on its side, shredded rotors debris scattered with some velocity as would be expected.

ppheli
22nd May 2002, 22:27
Happened Friday late morning, 2POB both OK. Debris & wreckage of the blades punctured the Alan Mann hangar as well as the engine compartment of a parked up JetRanger. One piece entered the stores & another hit into a toolbox of an engineer working on an aircraft. Seems everyone had a lucky escape here!!

Lucky the above-ground bowser didn't get hit, wouldn't you say? Believe the AS350BA may now be down the road at AAIB for examination.

Taff Missed
23rd May 2002, 11:34
Serious stuff indeed. I hope the engineer's toolbox is repairable.

Taff :)

Roofus
23rd May 2002, 11:52
Blimey! Glad to hear everyone was ok!

Any initial thoughts on what caused it to flip :confused:

MPT
23rd May 2002, 13:05
G'day All,

Remember something similar here in Oz a few months ago. Of course, it's always easy to come up with possible links with such sketchy information. Check here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20466&highlight=Newcastle) for previous thread. Again, very glad that all walked away unscathed.

Cheers,

MPT

Daifly
23rd May 2002, 17:18
I saw the aftermath. The noise got my attention and we all looked up to see a decent amount of smoke being issued...

The frightening bit was how long it took them to get out of it once it was on its side though. Makes you think.

Yep, you would expect the debris to be scattered about some distance but the spread was a bit more than I'd have thought.

Don't suppose the bowser would've gone up if the blade had hit though... still, we all ducked just in case.

Also, I'm pleased to report, the toolkit is recovering nicely, with slight concussion and nightmares though.

Draco
24th May 2002, 10:32
"Also, I'm pleased to report, the toolkit is recovering nicely, with slight concussion and nightmares though."

Presumably it will be suing for emotional damage and the cost of 20 sessions of counselling to avoid post traumatic stress disorder?

Or is that just in the US?

:D

ShyTorque
24th May 2002, 19:16
I hope the lady bowser driver has recovered her composure; she was quite shaken up when I spoke to her shortly afterwards. :)

Fortyodd
24th May 2002, 21:46
Hardly surprising when you consider what had just been whistling past the poor girls ears shortly before!

Daifly
24th May 2002, 22:03
Yep, heard yesterday someone told her to "JUMP!" just as bits went flying past! Could have been a bloody horrible incident all in all. She's work-experience too I think - imagine the right up in her report to the teacher!

"Describe your average day"

"Cleaning, Jumping, Running, Dodging Flying Debris. And making tea."

Draco Obvious the toolkit can't comment on PTS suing - it's subjudice...!

ShyTorque
24th May 2002, 23:06
Yes, it gives the phrase: "You can take a tip from me" a whole new meaning.......:p

Thomas coupling
25th May 2002, 08:23
The toolbox has taken legal ad 'vice':

Don't comment too early, could put a 'spanner' in the works.
Get to 'grips' with the situation.
It may have to a'plier' for legal aid.
If there are long term injuries, this could 'ratchet' up the claim.

These are the standard 'tools' of the trade any at'turn-key' (attorney?) would employ.

Must 'bolt' before I come a 'cropper'......

:D :D

ShyTorque
25th May 2002, 08:36
Thomas,

Please be careful about posting such "rivetting" but "abrasive" puns; if the moderator gets a "handle" on it you'll get this topic "wire-locked"!

And I probably deserve to be "ShyTorque wrenched" for mine.

(To those involved, we're just glad you're all OK :) )

Capn Notarious
28th May 2002, 22:55
And now for the sensible question.Do any of you that coax cyclic and clasp collective, have any idea why such a thing should happen,

PurplePitot
29th May 2002, 09:15
I guess someone pulled the collective or shoved the cyclic in a manner not entirely conducive to a steady hover!!:eek: Glad to hear everyone's OK though - Shame about the toolbox.