PDA

View Full Version : They didn't say he couldn't go in 1944!

Super VC-10
6th Jun 2014, 15:45
A nursing home banned a veteran from attending the D-Day commemmorations. :} He went anyway. :ok:

BBC News - D-Day: Hove veteran defies ban for Normandy trip (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-27735086)

ericlday
6th Jun 2014, 17:04
Well done that man, nobody was stopping him in 1944 and he was damn sure nobody was getting in his way in 2014. Hats off to him !!!

Super VC-10
6th Jun 2014, 17:13
Named as Bernard Jordan. Bernard, I salute you sir! Thank you and your comrades for your sacrifice. :D

Care home has not been named. Whoever they are, they should be hanging their heads in shame. :mad:

G-CPTN
6th Jun 2014, 17:37
Elfin safety innit?

Ani Fule kno that going to D-Day was dangerous.

What better way to go if you have to - 70 years after the first skirmish.

It'll never happen again.

4mastacker
6th Jun 2014, 17:45
I lifted this comment from Arrse. They're full of admiration for this man and his generation.

When they decide " such a journey may not be good for his health"......I personally wouldn't consider the same journey 70 years ago any healthier. Shows the spirit of the man, well done & good luck sir.

A generation to admire and respect.

angels
6th Jun 2014, 17:48
The care home deny he was banned from going.

He apparently asked to go at the last minute and they couldn't get him on an accredited tour so he just buggered off on his own!

Standard Noise
6th Jun 2014, 19:21
Well done that man!

con-pilot
6th Jun 2014, 19:56
I love stories such as this. You cannot keep a brave man down, no matter his age.

Only one thing to say.

WELL DONE SIR! :ok:

500N
6th Jun 2014, 20:16
That story made my day :ok:

Both because he still has it and because it stuck it up his carers who
have no clue as to what some people want later in life !

Good on him :ok:

redsnail
6th Jun 2014, 21:10
It's easy to slag off the care home but they do have his best interests in their heart. In other words, they don't want to be an arse but with the best will in the world, he is 89. Normally, folks go down hill after 85..

However, he's a feisty old boy and just got on with it. :ok:

Now can you imagine if the care home didn't care? We'd all be outraged.

Flap 5
7th Jun 2014, 09:05
Banned him? Nobody banned him going. You mustn't believe everything you read in the papers.

mikedreamer787
7th Jun 2014, 11:23
It's easy to slag off the care home

And damn right we should. Stuff 'em.

There're things an old soldier has to
do for a reason that a "elf-n-safety"
generation will never understand....
that men who have lived fought and
died together in battle are bonded
as blood brothers forever. It was his
DUTY to attend.

I have passed salutes simply as a
matter of required military protocol
in my past - but if I were to salute
Mr Jordan today it would definitely
come from the heart...whatever his
rank.

angels
7th Jun 2014, 11:39
Yes, I'm getting a bit fed up with this. He was actually quite inconsiderate.

No-one tried to stop him from going, they just told him (after he asked earlier in the week) that all accredited tours were booked. He wanted to go under his own steam, so he went. Fair enough.

But he didn't have the courtesy to tell anyone, including his wife.

Cacophonix
7th Jun 2014, 11:41
but if I were to salute Mr Jordan today

And a hat tip to those who are saluting Mr Jordan, rather than the overly familiar and patronising Bernard from some (not all) of the popular press who seem to believe that a patronising tone when talking about elder citizens is appropriate. Just because a chap is 89 does not mean he has to be patronised. He did not "abscond" either.

The headlines should note that "War Veteran Mr Bernard Jordan travelled to France to salute current and fallen comrades."

We salute them all.

Caco

Curious Pax
7th Jun 2014, 11:51
Heard an interview with the care home owner yesterday. As has been pointed out he wasn't banned from doing anything, and as he has all his faculties he often goes out alone. They only raised the alarm when he wasn't back in the evening, which seems like a very sensible thing to do. The owner is also ex forces, and said he often reminisces with Mr Jordan on their respective experiences.

TURIN
7th Jun 2014, 12:53
Damn! You guys let the truth get in the way of a good story. Shame on you. :D

603DX
7th Jun 2014, 13:25
This occurrence reminds me of the old boy with a similar "can do" attitude last year:

rYrThFMqCwE

Tankertrashnav
7th Jun 2014, 15:49
Curious Pax - I heard the same interview too and thought the bloke was remarkably calm about the totally undeserved slagging off he and his staff had received from the press (and a few on here!). Glad that Mr Jordan got there ok, had a good experience and got home safe and well

DX Wombat
7th Jun 2014, 21:45
I had to smile when the reporter finished his piece with "And his wife wants an explanation. :D
603, thanks for that, I've been looking for that bit of film.

Nervous SLF
8th Jun 2014, 02:46
I had to smile when the reporter finished his piece with "And his wife wants an explanation. :D

Typical of a wife, they can be real killjoys at times. ;);)

10Watt
8th Jun 2014, 04:08
lt made my day when l read it.

Seems he says if able he`ll do it again next year.

That is the spirit !

Effluent Man
8th Jun 2014, 08:21
As usual the newspapers not allowing the truth to get in the way of a good story.Now they are saying the old fella was involved in capturing Enigma machines.As he was 19 on D Day I think any involvement in that would have been minimal.

mikedreamer787
8th Jun 2014, 14:34
Yep. May've nicked one from a bunker
during his hiking travels in France?

ArthurR
8th Jun 2014, 14:58
Health and Safety, going at 19 facing machine guns on the beach is not as dangerous going at 89. Respect for the man.