PDA

View Full Version : LGW-MCO-MIA Where do I clear US Immigration?

chrissw
6th Jun 2014, 10:12
I'm flying LGW-MCO with BA, then MCO-MIA with AA a couple of hours later.

Perhaps someone on here can help me with this.

Where would I clear US immigration? In Orlando or Miami?

Do I remain "in transit" in Orlando without going through immigration there? Or do I have to do it at my first port of call in the USA?

I have completed the ESTA form and paid for it.

Bealzebub
6th Jun 2014, 10:28
As you are entering the United States, you will clear (along with all the other passengers) at the port of entry which is of course Orlando. Your next flight is a domestic flight.

The ESTA is simply a travel authority, without which (or a valid visa or right of entry) the airline wouldn't carry you. It does not confirm right of entry nor does it guarantee the determination of the INS official upon presentation. It is not a pre-clearance. If you hold a valid US visa you do not require an ESTA. They are used for travel authorization for eligible individuals travelling from countries included in the Visa Waiver Programme (VWP).

ExXB
6th Jun 2014, 12:07
The US doesn't have an inTransit area at any airport. You must clear immigration and customs at first port of arrival. This also means you must also go through security before your connecting flight.

Plan accordingly.

chrissw
6th Jun 2014, 14:32
Thanks both for the information. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I understand what the ESTA is. Since I hold a UK passport I am eligible for visa waiver.

chevvron
9th Jun 2014, 00:49
You say you PAID for the ESTA? But it's free! Are you sure it's valid? There are a lot of website sharks who charge you for the ESTA and then you find you're refused entry. Better check with the US Embassy; it's their website you need to register for the ESTA and as I said, it's free..

paulc
9th Jun 2014, 05:39
Chevron,

ESTA's have not been free for a number of years now - I had to pay for mine in 2012 and just looked at the official site to renew and it is $14.

Gibon2
9th Jun 2014, 07:27
Chevvron,

Please check before posting wildly inaccurate information! Visa rules and charges change all the time.

The official ESTA website is https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

As paulc says, ESTA has not been free for some years, and currently costs USD 14.

BOAC
9th Jun 2014, 07:28
Could chevvron tell us where he/she gets the ESTA free?:)

chrissw
9th Jun 2014, 08:25
I'm quite certain it's valid. There is a direct link from the BA website when you book a flight to the USA.

It cost US $14 by the way.

7of9
9th Jun 2014, 10:34
ESTA is NOT free, I travel to USA every year for vacation, you have to renew every two years. It does costs $14 each person for renewals.

If you are doing it for free, you may be refused entry as it won't be on the official ESTA records!

BOAC
9th Jun 2014, 16:12
Calling Chevvron - how is Guantanamo...............?:)

chevvron
9th Jun 2014, 22:28
Sorry guys, last time I renewed it was free (having looked at some websites where they charged as much as £49.99) but it was over 2 years ago so I admit my info is out of date.
But there are still websites around where you will be charged considerably more than $14 same as with the EHIC!!

Heathrow Harry
10th Jun 2014, 15:42
did you RENEW it or just UPDATE it for another flight?

Updating for second/third etc trip is free but it's cash on the nail for the two year renewal

obgraham
10th Jun 2014, 16:08
Unlike arriving in Europe, arriving in the US with a connecting flight is a time consuming PITA. As stated above, there is no "in transit" status.

You have to process Immigration (a new "kiosk" system is coming in, requires time to figure it out).
Then you have to get your baggage.
Then you have to process Customs. (often, but not always, quick)
Then you have to recheck your baggage for your connecting flight.
Then you have to re-enter security, along with everyone else flying that day.
Then you have to get to your connecting gate.

All of this while being constantly yelled at as if you are in the prison chow line.

Last month at Atlanta this took me exactly 2 hours 15 minutes. Last year at Newark it was just short of 3 hours. Miami wasn't too bad at 5am recently.

Orlando should not be the worst, but to me any connect time under 2.5 hours is risky.

chrissw
11th Jun 2014, 07:31
Hmm...looks like I might miss my MCO-MIA connection. Fortunately there is another one a couple of hours later. Since I'm in what AA calls "first," I hope there won't be a problem putting me on the later one. The fare is the same, according to the AA web site.

BBK
11th Jun 2014, 08:45
Chrissw

Maybe I'm missing something but why didn't you just fly direct to MIA? Was it down to flying out of Gatwick.

As others have said be prepared for a long delay as MCO arrivals can get very busy.

BBK

Smoketrails
11th Jun 2014, 08:48
Should not be a problem at all chrissw. I guess you booked everyting through BA and One World, then it's up to AA to resolve any transfer problems. Anyway, my personal experiences in the States have always been positive. If they have space and you have (any) valid ticket they will accommodate you.

ExXB
11th Jun 2014, 09:29
You have to process Immigration (a new "kiosk" system is coming in, requires time to figure it out).

For US passport holders, that won't speed the line for us Aliens.

obgraham
11th Jun 2014, 17:04
For US passport holders, that won't speed the line for us Aliens.Agreed. Non US/Canada passports go to a different, and slower, line.

chrissw
11th Jun 2014, 18:30
@BBK: There are reasons why I'm not going direct to Miami, to do with the class which my employer is willing to pay for and what I can afford to pay to upgrade to etc. etc.

@Smoketrails: They are booked separately with BA and AA, and not as a through ticket, the reasons being related to the above. But thank you for the reassurance. I'm now not especially worried.