PDA

View Full Version : FSDO stopped giving FAA licenses to PPL holders???

GoneWest
18th Sep 2001, 03:30
JUST HEARD (7pm, Eastern Time [midnight UK]) that the FAA local offices (FSDO) have stopped issuing FAA licenses based on a foreign pilot certificate.

If this is true - and I'll confirm or deny tomorrow - then anyone thinking of coming to the USA for hour building WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO IT!!

Bluebaron
18th Sep 2001, 06:54
Anyone wanting to hour build only has to do the FAA PPL skill test. Most JAA PPL holders could do this after about 4 hours of training.

I can see why they've done this, undoubtebly this was mainly aimed at the middle eastern states but a blanket ban will stop them from moaning.

I hope those of us with the conversions can keep them (or i'm stuffed for one!)

Facts Not Fiction Pls
18th Sep 2001, 07:21
I understand that they will issue the licence in the future but there will be a week or so delay whist they complete a back ground check!

Blue baron - it will take more than 4 hours for the average JAA PPL holder (as is the case with some of my friends) as they have to complete 3 hours night training (if they do not hold a night rating), boost their Instrument time to 3 hours, complete 3 additional maneuvers, and cross country only counts if it is more than 50 nm as opposed the the JAA rule of cross country (leaving the circuit).

There is also the case of the written (very straight forward and can be completed in the UK) and then the hour or so oral which is very in depth and not at all like the briefing for the JAA PPL. Then of course the skill test flight.

This is going to lengthen the process somewhat!

Fujitsu
18th Sep 2001, 12:43
The skills test would be impossible to do right now as all VFR flights are still grounded. No news as far as I can see on when or how the ban will be lifted. US AOPA (http://www.aopa.org)

18th Sep 2001, 19:19
Agree

It takes 'bout 15hrs to do the US-PPL (3 h night, 3h instrument, 3h 150nm cc and the rest is intense training and other individual requirements to complete).

Written exam is easy.

Has this new heading of the FAA something to do with the WTC-attacks. I can't imagine that there is an increase of security. I think the terrorists got enough money to learn to fly everywhere on this planet.
I think that the FAA uses now the situation to punish JAA. And hell, unfortunately that's not unjust because the JAA is also very arrogant and restrictive with FAA guys.

Waddayathink?

GeordieFlyer
18th Sep 2001, 21:03
I gained my JAA PPL in California in March 01 and got a FAA Private when I went back in July. Having been issued with this does anyone know if this is still valid and when they hopefully relax the ban on VFR flying in the US will I be able to do some hour building which I have planned within the next few months. I look forward to your comments.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Sep 2001, 21:35
GeordieFlyer,

If you have a full FAA PPL it will be valid for as long as you can pass an FAA Medical.

If you did a conversion and have an FAA PPL issued on the basis of your JAA PPL, it is valid as long as your JAA PPL is valid.

Happy Flying,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

mad_jock
18th Sep 2001, 21:39
Thanks for that info Naples.

And i will see you in a couple of weeks.

MJ

GoneWest
18th Sep 2001, 22:20
Seems I was half right - well, maybe just a bit more than half.

FAA tell me that they have not broken - and have no intentions to break - the ICAO "treaty" that a PPL issued in one ICAO country must be recognised in any other ICAO country...hence the fact that an FAA licensed pilot can fly G registered aircraft, by day, within UK airspace on his/her FAA license.

However, the deal still exists that you must validate the "foreign" licence with an FAA one - same as always.

Problem is...FSDO is closed to all visitors.

Pilot cannot get to the counter to apply for the license - therefore, AT THE MOMENT, cannot have license, therefore no hour building (ignoring the fact that they can't fly anyway because GA is still on terra firma).

Deal is likely to be that issue of Temporary Certificates, that was carried out at the FSDO counter, is likely to be given to a small number of ex FAA employees - for which a small fee will be payable $20-$25.

I say again, only reason for not issuing licenses is FSDO CLOSED TO VISITORS.

mad_jock
18th Sep 2001, 22:28
Yes but i have already been over to the states and applied for a temp. After 6 weeks the nice chaps sent me a full FAA ppl with restriction mentioned above to my Scottish address. Which i believe is still valid.

MJ

[ 18 September 2001: Message edited by: mad_jock ]

BlipOnTheRadar
18th Sep 2001, 22:43
Does anyone know what the score is with CAA/JAA ppl's wanting to train for the FAA cpl, with the current situation in America?

I had planned to go to California later this year to start a commercial licence, but it looks like that will have to be put on hold and I acknowledge and respect the American's reasoning. This world is becoming a sad place to live :(

Take care of yourselves

BOTR

FrontWindowSeat
19th Sep 2001, 00:48
Blip et al,

Don't get a refund on the VS tickets just yet!

Even though there is no news from the DOT/FAA and VFR is still banned, I personally expect that VFR priveleges will be substantially restored in a few weeks.

In the meantime, part 91 operations (GA) is still occurring under IFR, albeit with obvious restrictions.

After all this is America where most are intensely, almost obsessively, protective of their rights, so I think it is extremely unlikely that the mass of GA pilots are going to allow the demise of VFR without a fight.

However, VFR through class B, or x-country without a flight plan may be a thing of the past...

FWS

p.s. I'd like to add that many people consider me a cold-hearted b*st@rd - with some justification - but the events of last week have truly shocked me, and I've shed many tears for the thousand's of people around the globe who have lost family, friends or colleagues in this truly horrific act.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
19th Sep 2001, 01:56
Do not give up on training in the U.S. just yet.

Make sure you have a Visa to enter the U.S. and please pay for your flying with a credit card (This way you have recourse). All the schools have been hit hard by the loss of VFR flying over the last week. Some schools do not have reserves to ride out the bad times, even the Airlines are having problems!

I expect to see VFR flying starting again this week. I hear we will see more restricted airspace over Washington D.C. and other sensitive areas, but recreational and training flights will be back to normal when the VFR ban is lifted.

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

GoneWest
19th Sep 2001, 09:03
Had a telephone call from the FAA today (fortunately using cellphones whilst driving is still legal here).

I'm not at liberty to say how they will continue to issue FAA PPL's based on a foreign licence - but they have come up with a solution to the "no visitors to FSDO" problem. I'll tell you what it is next week.

Other part of the same conversation, the FAA man said that his GUT FEELING (not an official response - a gut feeling [albeit an educated one]) is that ALL THE INDICATIONS are that VFR will resume either Friday or Monday...but warned that things are changing by the minute.

He discounted the idea that flight plans would be required for all flights (infrastructure couldn't handle it) or that aircraft will be banned from Class B airspace.

Will tell more at the end of the week. Hope this brings cheer to some of you hour builders.

inverted flatspin
19th Sep 2001, 09:36
You don't have to go to a FSDO. It is possible to get the validation done by a designated examiner that is attached to a Part 141 training school. These people have the ability to issue certificates and ratings.

FrontWindowSeat
20th Sep 2001, 05:49
According to AOPA www.aopa.org (http://www.aopa.org) Part 91 VFR has just been partially restored, outside of the area within, below or above class B airspace.

There is also some odd language prohibiting "Civil aircraft VFR training operations"?

Bluebaron
20th Sep 2001, 06:07
This is what we pulled off the AOPA web site:

Some VFR operations restored
Boyer's town meeting interrupted with good news that FAA gives partial relief for VFR operations
Wednesday, September 19, 2001 8:20:58 PM — While conducting a Pilot Town Meeting in Columbus, Ohio, AOPA President Phil Boyer was called by his staff, advising him that a notam had just been released by the FAA authorizing the limited return of Part 91 VFR flights. "This is an crucial step in restoring the nation's important general aviation system. Rest assured the effort isn't finished," said Boyer.
VFR is now permitted for U.S. registered aircraft outside of "enhanced" Class B airspace; that is, Class B airspace within the lateral limits from the surface to infinity. No VFR flights are permitted over the top of Class B airspace, nor are VFR operations permitted from airports and airspace "under the shelf" of Class B airspace. In addition, several Temporary Flight Restrictions remain in effect.

Under the FAA notam, VFR flight training operations are prohibited. However, AOPA has been advised by the FAA that this will be discussed at a meeting with the White House on Thursday morning. In addition, restrictions continue to apply to banner towing, traffic watch/reporting, airship/blimps, and news reporting.

It is imperative that pilots receive a full briefing from FSS or DUATS and familiarize themselves with the text of the notam.

Therefore, all flight schools are still restricted until this meeting tomorrow!

More Harry Potter chapters to read I suppose!

Where is the icon for I'm going mad!!!!!

GoneWest
20th Sep 2001, 07:07
Inverted....CURRENT legislation is that the TAC's that we discuss here CANNOT be issued by DPE's - whether at 141 schools or not.

Those DPE's can issue many ratings and certificates but NOT the FAA licence based on the production of a current foreign licence - that can only be done by an FAA Inspector (or retired FAA inspector).

inverted flatspin
21st Sep 2001, 03:47
Gone west I know one who can and has done so for many people.

GoneWest
21st Sep 2001, 04:16
Ok - Spin..perhaps you would like to tell us more...as in WHO and WHERE?

If your DPE has held the authority to issue FAA restricted licenses based on the production of a foreign licence then he is likely to become busy.

Orlando has, today, given powers to five DPE's in addition to the two retired FAA inspectors who already had the approval.

Don't yet have the full details on the DPE's - but the inspectors are based at Vero Beach and Jacksonville, Florida.

Going to FSDO will do you no good - they are closed to visitors...you will now have to find a means of travelling to the DPE (who is unlikely to come to you). Flying may not be an option as at least three of the seven authorised people in Florida live under Class B airspace - which is also closed to VFR traffic....which you will be if you are looking for a license conversion.

stolport
29th Sep 2001, 18:41
Are the FSDO's open yet?

If/when they are open, is it possible to get US Airman's Certificates at the London IFO at West Drayton?

GoneWest
30th Sep 2001, 02:29
Nope - FSDOs all remain closed to the public.

ORLANDO (I don't know about the others) has implemented a scheme where foreign pilots can meet with one of a SMALL bunch of "Designated Pilot Examiners" who have been especially trained and empowered to issue an FAA licence based on either "Foreign Pilot" or "Military Competency".

It is a small bunch of guys...probably quite difficult to get hold of...details on the Orlando FSDO website.
http://www.faa.gov/fsdo/orl/forpilot.htm

There is a charge (set by the individual) - which appears to range from the early $20's to $40.

'I' in the sky
1st Oct 2001, 03:26
I know someone who got one issued at Miami FSDO last week but it's appointment only.

Also he was told all knew licences are going to need a photo. Don't know whether they take it or you have to privide it.