PDA

View Full Version : IAD to DCA transportation

SeLFish_Flyer
6th Jun 2014, 08:14
Good morning all.

Have been trying to find out the best way to get from Washington Dulles to Reagan Airport.

Will be a wednesday, BA flight landing at 12:45 at IAD (hopefully), conecting to a US Airways domestic flight leaving DCA at 17:40.

Have looked at a few sites online to try to get a feel for this, i.e. if it is viable.

Only site that gives an idea of timings shows 3 hour trip for a dedicated shuttle bus. Wil be tight if that is the case as I allow at least an hour to get through IAD after landing.

Any better suggestions or ideas for doing this?

Thank you all.

cavortingcheetah
6th Jun 2014, 09:05
One hour from the gate to customs exit is highly optimistic if not to say unusual unless you have Global Entry. Two hours would be much safer and three should do it. Either way the only sensible option is surely here:
Washington Flyer taxi.
Allow $60-70 + 20% tip=+/-$100.
You can pay the lot by credit card.

SeLFish_Flyer
6th Jun 2014, 15:47
OK thanks. BA flight is Business Class, I know I can use fasttrack at LHR, not sure what is in place in IAD.

How long is the journey from IAD to DCA by taxi?? Feels like 5 hours to get from plane to plane is optimistic?

Based my one hour from plane to exit on my JFK experience in 2012, got off plane, collected bags and cleared customs in 45 minutes.

EDIT: The more I look the more I think I should stay at IAD and fly to my next destination. It means an extra stop and an extra 1.5 hours on the trip (I have two kids, 5 and 8 but they will be tired anyway). But it also adds about £500 to the flights. Decisions decisions.
Looks like taxi will be $100. My concern is the time to get from IAD to DCA.

Am I likely to be able to get from international check in at IAD to a domestic departure at IAD if BA lands at 12:45 and US Airways domestic leaves at 16:45?? 3.5 hours??

Heathrow Harry
7th Jun 2014, 12:46
Unless you US Global Entry status (see other threads on here) which is restricted to U citizens and some European nations (eg Netherlands) but has to be applied for you will be in the queue

on the other hand IAH doesn't get the hordes of tourists or people actually immigrating that you see at JFK, LAX or MIA so it is faster

Two hours to kerbside at IAH should be plenty

I'd just take a taxi TBH but look at this link

how to get...Reagan National (DCA) to Dulles I(AID) - Washington DC Message Board - TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k1685205-How_to_get_Reagan_National_DCA_to_Dulles_I_AID-Washington_DC_District_of_Columbia.html)

SeLFish_Flyer
7th Jun 2014, 18:30
Cheers HH.
Yeah I had read that item, but as it is 6 years old I wondered if it had changed since then.
I think I will take the stress off and go for a domestic from IAD even if it is an extra £500 (almost doubles the price)!

glendalegoon
8th Jun 2014, 00:13
I was based at DCA as a pilot. We also covered IAD.

While Washington is a very busy area, I really think one hour travel time from curb to curb at the two airports is pretty reasonable.

I am not talking about waiting for the bus, or going through customs or security.

The flying distance between the airports is about 25 statute miles. Modern Roads between the two.

A cab might be better if you have kids, ask how much before you get in.

Where are you going? There are other places to connect. Have you thought of flying USAIR to Philadelphia and going on the domestic network from there?

Good Luck. There are ground transportation signs all over.

OH, IT IS VERY humid in Washington during summer time. Hot and muggy. And this leads to thunderstorms which leads to delays!

http://www.metwashairports.com/net/EmailForm.aspx?to=DCA%20Ground%20Transportation&toaddress=DCAGroundTransportation

click on the above and send an email and ask them the same question. check things out as I have not taken a bus in a long, long time!

SeLFish_Flyer
8th Jun 2014, 20:44
Thanks Glendalagoon.

useful info.

I have to use BA into the US for this so US Airways not an option.
Have email'd the transportation in the link you gave.

Personally I think it is doable, but I guess I could even go for the later flight out of DCA which would give me 7 hours to get across town!
Only concern is weary children.

Cheers for those that have helped.

Heathrow Harry
9th Jun 2014, 11:09
7 hours in a US Airport !!

I'd rather slit my wrists

SeenItAll
9th Jun 2014, 17:11
You have multiple alternatives.

1. Taxi. Will take less than one hour curb to curb. This will not vary much by rush hour because can use reserved lanes on Dulles Access road and HOV (high occupancy vehicle lanes on I-66). As noted, cost will be $80-$90.

2. Bus/metro 1. Take Washington Flyer bus to West Falls Church metro. Take Orange line to Rosslyn, transfer to Blue line to DCA. About $15, will take about 1:30 depending on connections.

3. Bus/metro 2. Take WMATA bus 5A to Rosslyn metro, transfer to Blue line to DCA. About $10, will take about 1:30 depending on connections.

See these links for further information.

Getting to Dulles is Easy (http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/5933.htm)

Metro - Getting Around - Getting to Metro (http://www.wmata.com/getting_around/new_metro/)

glendalegoon
9th Jun 2014, 17:56
heathrow harry.

US AIRPORTS ARE GREAT. They are already points ahead just by being in the USA.

Heathrow Harry
10th Jun 2014, 15:44
Sorry ! I forgot - everything is best in the US - tho Chicago looks like a Third World Bus Station to most people.......................

And LA comes from the Gulag Archipelago

SeLFish_Flyer
11th Jun 2014, 09:11
Thank you seenitall and glendalegoon.

have exchanged emails with the link Glen.. sent and this is reinforced by the info from Seen.

Looks like the 17:40 is realistic assuming BA land on time :hmm:

Just got to book it all now, thank you for everyone who has helped put my mind at rest.....although there is a part of me that is toying with booking the later flight and if I get there early trying to use some charm to see if we can fly on the earlier one (has worked before at JFK!).