PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Internet page refresh

rans6andrew
3rd Jun 2014, 15:39
I have a strange issue with one website (Henley Sailing Club) when I browse it using the "Internet" app bundled in with my Samsung mobile phone. The page concerned has two embedded scrolling text windows which show the events for the coming month in one and new stuff on the website in the other. Neither window gets the latest text in it. Both are stuck on the text which was current on my first visit to the website nearly one month ago. I know the text has been changed as it shows new current info when I visit the site from any of several other machines.

I tried refreshing the page (re-load symbol in the URL bar) and closing the tab and opening the page in a different tab.

In desperation I re-booted the whole phone and the new text appeared, there must be an easier way to refresh the text than that, surely?

Any ideas?

Rans6......

Ancient Observer
3rd Jun 2014, 20:17
Er, dunno if it works in your gadget. Try Settings - App manager - Google search and Clear cache. If that doesn't do it, clear data, but that is a bit more drastic.
Or, go to your internet access screen and delete the old screens that might be lurking there - If you have a number above 1, yer phone is saving old screens.

One very weird thing with mine. If I go abroad and use google, then I have to clear cache, otherwise it tries to access the google in the country I was last in. Apples do not seem to do that.

Avtrician
13th Jun 2014, 11:20
rans6andrew

Try using Firefox or Opera (from the play store) instead. The generic browser seems a bit limited.

cattletruck
13th Jun 2014, 12:43
Cached web pages are the source of many problems with browsing from a mobile phone. The problem is often caused by getting the device to market quickly, so many corners are cut and so many odd behaviours get introduced.

Apple do their best to adhere to standards but even they too make the odd mistake.

Designing web sites that work on both normal screens and small screens is challenging enough without having to also deal with issues introduced from the phone manufacturers. If trying another browser doesn't work then you may want to let the web admin of the site know there is a problem with the page which could have a Time To Live (TTL) set too high. Some phones handle this disasterously if used regardless of its value.

Ancient Observer
14th Jun 2014, 11:47
rans 6.

Wot was the answer?

rans6andrew
17th Jun 2014, 21:55
I shan't know if the switch to Firefox has effected a fix until the end of the month when the website has a change of rolling text.

Ta for the suggestions though,

Rans6...........