PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot. I'm confused as to what personal files are common.

Loose rivets
3rd Jun 2014, 14:53
Sorry, I'm rather repeating myself below, but better to be clear.

I retained Vista on my old Sony Vaio only to help a friend from afar. I don't think I ever rebooted to guide him, so it was a waste of time which is still going on. However, I thought I'd scrap Vista and reinstall my copy of W7 32bit with a clean sweep.

Oh, a quick aside: Is it better to download a new OS ISO - i.e., will it be more up to date while still accepting the old key?

Scrapping the Vista is not so simple. I have logical drives to put things in while I format C drive, but to my surprise, some of the folders - i.e. jpgs - seem to be the same in both boot-ups. I've always thought they would have to be reloaded for each OS just as the Programs are. For example, I have Word 2007 on Vista, and 2010 on W7. They don's seem aware of each other at all, but I'm definitely finding things in Vista that I know I didn't put there. For example, KeePass, a new backup for my failing brain which I've only recently discovered. I headed back from the US and put it on this laptop and not once booted in Vista - yet, there it is in Vista.

After quite a lot of (photo rescue) this morning, I was perplexed. I'd imagined the OSs to be doing their own thing while wholly contained on C drive and mapping out bits of the other drives for their exclusive use, but now I'm not sure.

mixture
3rd Jun 2014, 15:53
Erm, dual boot is dual boot... i.e. everything segregated, no shared files. If you're seeing shared files then you've not done something right (unless you've mounted and are browsing the unbooted partition).

Oh, a quick aside: Is it better to download a new OS ISO - i.e., will it be more up to date while still accepting the old key?

Yes. Newer ISOs typically have SP's slipstreamed so its a good thing and saves you downloading it later.

Loose rivets
3rd Jun 2014, 17:10
That's what I thought. I wonder if having 3 partitions has confused the system, but I can't see how - especially having taken on board your answer.

Hopefully it will all be back to normal when I wipe C drive.

Good news about the ISO, as that OS is quite a few years old.

Thanks.