PDA

View Full Version : French ATC Strike Action

Doors to Automatic
3rd Jun 2014, 14:53
I am flying to BCN next Friday 13th and wondered if there are any French ATC strikes planned? They have occurred around this time of year for a few years now and it always causes mayhem.

Does anyone know if there is anywhere one can see scheduled strike action dates?

Also does anyone know if they ever strike on Friday evenings or do they usually confine action to midweek?

Any heads up would be greatly appreciated.

Heathrow Harry
3rd Jun 2014, 18:15
google it - I'm sure it will come up if they are plotting

Alsacienne
3rd Jun 2014, 20:40
French law requires those who intend to go on strike to give notice (préavis de grève) and this is usually the case. I would second Heathrow Harry's suggestion that you Google it ... or are you really triskaidekaphobic?

Doors to Automatic
3rd Jun 2014, 21:10
I have already googled it (obviously!) - nothing about future events or where to find info - hence my question for those on the front line who have direct experience.

Alsacienne
4th Jun 2014, 05:00
hence my question for those on the front line who have direct experience.

Which is what I gave you. And to add to your question, no, French strikes do not prioritise Fridays or midweek .... just what is appropriate to them, usually a 24 hour period starting at 20H00 or 22H00.

French news channels and French radio stations are the first source of information, but the Flyer Talk forum often brings this sort of information to light pretty promptly.

If you have heard nothing and found nothing, I would assume that all is well. I have heard nothing and I live here with plenty of experience of strike action in France.

Of course Friday evenings can be moments when delays seem more apparent because more people have expectations of getting somewhere other than home for the weekend, and yes, it has been known for an increased volume of traffic to cause operational delays.

bedsted
4th Jun 2014, 07:41
I understand that SNCF (railways) are planning a strike Tuesday June 10. Not what you asked but may have a knock on effect to ATC

Doors to Automatic
4th Jun 2014, 09:44
Alsacienne - thank you very much; that was the sort of information I was after.