PDA

View Full Version : Your Short List of Heroes

BenThere
3rd Jun 2014, 00:55
I was thinking about this discussing Curtis LeMay on another thread. Who is on your hero list, limited to the five digits of your hand? As of today, mine are:

Thomas Jefferson - established individual Freedom as a priority
Ronald Reagan - defeated modern totalitarianism
Jesus - asserted noble values
Curtis LeMay - most responsible for winning WWII, defining our age
Winston Churchill - never surrender, inspired all

Richo77
3rd Jun 2014, 01:03
That's only 4 - Jesus is a fictional character.

ehwatezedoing
3rd Jun 2014, 01:08
Here is my short list of heroes:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10367168_735407096511223_4633014762969758351_n.png

:O

BenThere
3rd Jun 2014, 01:09
If that's your take, aren't they all?

Ethel the Aardvark
3rd Jun 2014, 01:21
Fair go,
Ronald Reagan did make the majority of his decisions through the spiritual guidance advice of his wife's tarot card reader, was he working in cahoots with number 3

Bob Viking
3rd Jun 2014, 01:21
I'm not sure I can name a full five. Top of my list will always be Noel Chavasse (VC* MC). After that everyone else just seems to pale into insignificance.
BV

con-pilot
3rd Jun 2014, 01:41
I know it's a bit nerdy, but my list of heroes start with,

My father, Air Force pilot, World War Two, Berlin Airlift, Korean War and Viet Nam. He also taught me to fly.

General (as in four stars) 'Chappy' James, US Air Force. What he overcame being a black man, a Tuskegee Airman to being a four start general, gave hope and an example to black men and women that if they worked hard, ignored racism they could accomplish anything. My father was his multi-engine transition instructor and they remained friends until Chappy's death.

President Ronald Reagan. He restored confidence in America and turned the economy around in the first three years of his presidency, after Carter nearly destroyed it.

President Harry S. Truman. Because the buck really did stop with him and he made the decision that ended the Second World War.

brickhistory
3rd Jun 2014, 01:50
The farmer turned militiaman in our Revolutionary War.

He, along with the Founding Fathers, bet it all on a highly uncertain outcome.

Winston Churchill.

George Washington - he had an ego and worked himself into the position to be Revolutionary Commander in Chief. But the years of it always being a close-run thing took a different kind of courage to endure than the facing the bullets. Which he also did on occassion.

Orville and Wilbur Wright (I'm counting them as one). Airplanes make life fun.

I'll save my fifth (no pun intended) to share over a bourbon sometime with friends.

BenThere
3rd Jun 2014, 01:56
I'll save my fifth (no pun intended) to share over a bourbon sometime with friends.

I'm in.

I had trouble coming up with THE five, too.

Uncle Fred
3rd Jun 2014, 01:59
- Joseph Bazalgette. A engineer who had the foresight to anticipate what the needs would be 25 years hence. Perhaps a forefather of extensibility?
- Lets not forget heroines...Any one of them who calls Mrs. U.F. on Saturdays and invites her to play tennis thus freeing me for quiet to putter around on the fix-it jobs
- Any person who knows that a conversation is not just a monologue
- Any person that is willing to change his or her mind or at least appreciate a well crafted argument from the opposing side
- Any person who can intuit what really needs to be done and makes it happen. These people also seem to have voices under a load shrieking pitch as an added benefit--perhaps because they are busy using all their senses rather than blabbing.

RJM
3rd Jun 2014, 02:29
Isambard Kingdom Brunel - for confidence in his own ability.

Sir Christopher Cradock, Edward Stephen Fogarty Fegen, Horatio - for making a stand on their own initiative.

'Jacky' Fisher - for foresight.

indiscipline_girl
3rd Jun 2014, 03:46
Vicki Thomas, a Miami-Dade Police Officer for knowing the right thing to do even when the 'rules' say otherwise, and the courage to actually do it.

From ABC news:

When Miami-Dade Police Officer Vicki Thomas, 55, was dispatched to look into a shoplifting case at a Publix grocery store, a store manager led her to Jessica Robles.

“She was crying. I said, ‘Okay, what did she take?’ And he pointed to a grocery cart that was full of groceries,” Thomas told ABCNews.com. “I’ve been on [the job] 23 years, and I went, wow.”

“She just filled up the grocery cart and she just walked out, which shocked me and I asked her, ‘Why?’” Thomas recalled. “She said, ‘My children were hungry.’ And that immediately impacted me.”

What did officer Thomas do? She bought the woman groceries.

mikedreamer787
3rd Jun 2014, 04:57
I dunno.

- Churchill

- The Few (collectively)

- Mum Theresa (probably the only
religious person I ever respected)

- A bird I saw in the US who ended
up dead by defending her eggs and
not get eaten by a marauding wolf.
The bird was a proxy victim instead
of the eggs (dunno if an avian will
count)

- A little bloke I saw in N Delhi who
pushed his daughter out the way of
a bus and got squished in the doing
so.

There are a few others.

Krystal n chips
3rd Jun 2014, 05:38
" I was thinking about this discussing Curtis LeMay on another thread. Who is on your hero list, limited to the five digits of your hand? As of today, mine are:

Thomas Jefferson - established individual Freedom as a priority
Ronald Reagan - defeated modern totalitarianism
Jesus - asserted noble values
Curtis LeMay - most responsible for winning WWII, defining our age
Winston Churchill - never surrender, inspired all

I am having difficulty in understanding how the above list constitutes any who could even remotely be considered as "heroes".

On the other hand, the minimal content ( all Yanks and one token Brit, and all male....funny that, I suppose no women could ever be considered as heroines.....at least, from you perspective ) does rather speak volumes.

One offers an addition to the list :

Non of the above.

Richo77
3rd Jun 2014, 06:49
- Nurses - they do a helluva job
- Rosa Parks - nuff said
- The guy that confronted the tanks in Tiananmen Square
- Chiune Sugihara - Saved/helped/aided thousands of Jews to escape the Nazis

Just to name a couple...

Ancient Mariner
3rd Jun 2014, 07:00
To me a hero is any person who consciously risk their life to save others.
Politicians and the rest? Pfft!
Per

probes
3rd Jun 2014, 07:18
the one that comes to my mind is Darwin, for taking the trouble to see what's actually going on in the wild world, species-wise.

acbus1
3rd Jun 2014, 07:23
Winston Churchill (justifiably popular in this survey. The best wartime leader Great Britain ever had, precisely when he was needed the most)

Albert Einstein (Such a genius, you need to be close to a genius to grasp the fact in its entirety. Pity his work resulted in the bomb)

Juan Manuel Fangio (GOAT, achieved in the days before almost bulletproof car safety)

Garfield St Aubrun Sobers (the best cricket all-rounder, second best batsman behind Bradman, one of the top five spin bowlers IMHO, world class pace bowler and a Captain willing to take risks to make a game of it)

Muhammed Ali (a unique combination of power, speed, courage, principles, intelligence and humour)

Got a few hundred more, so apologies to those not above who deserve to be, but you only allowed five.

Capetonian
3rd Jun 2014, 07:25
Collectively, those who stood against the evil of communism and hastened its partial demise.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Nelson Mandela (not that he would be on my list.)

vee-tail-1
3rd Jun 2014, 07:27
W Churchill ... for inspiring Brits to resist totalitarian invasion.

The Few ... for preventing that invasion.

Enoch Powell ... for trying and failing to stop another totalitarian invasion.

Paul Weston ... for resisting the Muslim invasion with 'Liberty GB'

Vanessa Vine ... for inspiring Brits to resist destruction of UK by fracking.

Cacophonix
3rd Jun 2014, 07:39
I shall grasp this with two hands...

Tend not to hero worship people not least because there are so many unsung ones and besides it can be hard to deal with the reality that what makes a hero so good in one set of circumstances might make them completely woeful in another.

Still this is not to say that people don't achieve heroic status, they certainly do and here is my short list of notable people who might also have been flawed or complete bitches/bastards while having done heroic things...

1) My mother

2) Marshal Zhukov

3) Chuck Yeager

4) Werner Von Braun

5) General Paton

6) Ghengis Khan

7) Alan Turing

8) Isaac Newton

9) Albert Einstein

10) Boudica

Caco

John Hill
3rd Jun 2014, 07:48
Sir Keith Park, the man who really did win the Battle of Britain and save GB from invasion and defeat.

Nancy Wake, Gestapo's most wanted.

Richard Pearce, who flew before the Wright brothers.

Ed Hillary, he did it first (or maybe second) and thousands have risked their lives to do it too.

Fred Hollows, he opened the eyes of a million or so.

Wingswinger
3rd Jun 2014, 08:35
Ben and Brick and any other non - Brit Churchill fans,

This may interest you:

Lady Soames, Winston Churchill's last surviving child, dies aged 91 - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10868042/Lady-Soames-Winston-Churchills-last-surviving-child-dies-aged-91.html)

Alloa Akbar
3rd Jun 2014, 08:55
You could easily pick hundreds, although I would suggest many of the above made an outstanding contribution to the world, but "Heroes"?? Naa, I am going with this lot..

http://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/275776/Article/images/16469774/3921382.png
http://tellmenow.com/files/2014/04/2013.09.11-mrconservative-5230285b1a454.jpg
http://www.staffnursing.co.uk/siteimages/hires/nurse12.jpg
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/resources/images/3002729.jpg?type=articleLandscape

AtomKraft
3rd Jun 2014, 09:00
My daughter, Lou.

Giap.

Me.

I don't think pilots have heroes, after all, they have themselves....:)

Miraculix
3rd Jun 2014, 09:09
My grandfather Christian Stærmose, who was in the Danish resistance during the second WW and German occupation of Denmark.

His group "Stærmose gruppen" sank some german coasters and sperrbrechers and did a lot of other stuff.

Christian was captured and sent to the concentration camp Neuengamme near Hamburg. Christian survived the concentration camp, as Scandinavian prisoners was treated "better" and given ration packs from Denmark and he made it home on Folke Bernadotte's white busses. The ordeal still meant that later in life his stomach had to be removed, as it had be ruined by the scarce amount of food he had eaten during the time in Neuengamme and shortened his life considerably.

Christian told me: "A dane snitched about me, a dane arrested me, a dane tortured me and danes send me to the concentration camp!".

rotornut
3rd Jun 2014, 13:15
Dr. Phan, the neurosurgeon who drilled a hole in my head and saved my life - I had a subdural hematoma.

pigboat
3rd Jun 2014, 13:19
Alfred C. Haynes
Eric Moody
Winston Churchill
Maxwell Ward
Harry S. Truman

Capetonian
3rd Jun 2014, 13:20
My friend D. who has selflessly devoted his life to caring for his elderly and sick parents, giving up any chances of a social or family life, a career, or travelling, for the last 20 years.

He has a brother who is the exact opposite, selfish, mean, and only interested in himself, and despite being very wealthy, contributes neither time nor money to help his parents.

charliegolf
3rd Jun 2014, 13:29
Albert Einstein
Isaac Newton
Gareth Owen Edwards
Mrs Golf (whilst often exasperating, she is the most honourable person I have ever met)
Sir Tasker Watkins VC

CG

cattletruck
3rd Jun 2014, 13:31
Being so many real unsung heroes out there I'm just going to pick one but in the "Hollywood" context of the word.

Spencer Tracey. Because he looked and behaived exactly like my grandfather.

Effluent Man
3rd Jun 2014, 14:40
Patrick Leigh-Fermor

BenThere
3rd Jun 2014, 15:39
I am having difficulty in understanding how the above list constitutes any who could even remotely be considered as "heroes".

Well, K&C, there's your problem. None of them? Really?

RJM
3rd Jun 2014, 16:17
Ed Hillary, he did it first (or maybe second) and thousands have risked their lives to do it too.

Or just possibly even third...

LGW Vulture
3rd Jun 2014, 16:53
Can't believe any of you septics leaving out FDR or Teddy? Amazing! :{

tony draper
3rd Jun 2014, 17:11
What! no Julian Assange or Edward Snowden?:E

AtomKraft
3rd Jun 2014, 17:37
I like Jim Morrison...

Lon More
3rd Jun 2014, 17:47
and no Thatcher, or her cider. :)

William Wallace
Robert the Bruce
Wat Tyler
Ernest Bevin
Sir Archibald Mcendoe

tony draper
3rd Jun 2014, 17:51
Ah now your talking.
Edward 1st
Edward the Black Prince
Edward Longshanks!
Kicked many arses they did.
:rolleyes:
And that's just the Eddies

Krystal n chips
3rd Jun 2014, 18:09
" Well, K&C, there's your problem. None of them? Really?"

Really ?.....Correct, well done !....treat yourself to a Hershy Bar...or a slice of Mom's Apple Pie.....and Big Mac with fries.

Let me explain, in no particular order.

Jesus. A Religious icon, but no hero. I respect all faiths, and those who choose to worship the deity of their religious beliefs, as I have said many times before. However, whilst my own faith would be classed as Christian, I am in no way a subscriber to those who attempt to use religious values as a thinly veiled excuse to impose their invariably bigoted philosophies on others.

Churchill. A bully to meet a bully when one was needed. Hardly a glorious political career however....slightly tainted shall we say.

The others, Yanks with no discernible heroic traits and the criteria you specify as being "heroic" leaves them eminently unqualified for the term.

Simple enough ?

500N
3rd Jun 2014, 18:18
Krystal

Your post below is not surprising at all.

In my mind, anyone who has done anything that stands out you would not be happy with.

I'll leave Jesus out of it as it will start an argument.

Reagan - leader and pulled the US out of it plus other things.

Churchill. A bully to meet a bully when one was needed." And a leader when a leader was needed. That is exactly WHY he is a hero for that period of the war. I don't disagree with the other part of your post but during the war period, he was exactly what was needed. IMHO, along the lines of Maggie during the Falklands war.

The others might be Yanks but they still did good things.
LeMay, right person at the right time in the right jobs.

The fact no women are listed. I could think of a few, can't you ?

For a start, a modern one, that Afghan girl who got shot in the head by the Taliban.
She is a hero who now transcends cultures and sex.

Boudreaux Bob
3rd Jun 2014, 18:37
Anyone that shared a Cockpit with me more than once!:uhoh:

probes
3rd Jun 2014, 18:38
Dr. Phan, the neurosurgeon...
that's a good point, too. Many people whose names are not known, but who are very professional, skilled and talented and somehow manage to remain normal in the yellow 'glamour' of modern life.

Wingswinger
3rd Jun 2014, 18:42
Ah now your talking.
Edward 1st
Edward the Black Prince
Edward Longshanks!
Kicked many arses they did.

And that's just the Eddies

Shurely shome tautology in that list, Herr Draper?

brickhistory
3rd Jun 2014, 18:49
The others, Yanks with no discernible heroic traits and the criteria you
specify as being "heroic" leaves them eminently unqualified for the term.

Was there a change in pprune where you get to decide for others what they like/believe in/state?

What thoroughly unpleasant additions to this thread you have made.

I imagine without a lot of trouble that they match you perfectly.

And as to "Yanks," my farmer withstood both your Redcoats and your rented Germans to achieve victory.

Proving, once again, that our Germans were better than your Germans...

Wingswinger
3rd Jun 2014, 18:52
Perfectly illustrates how unpleasant lefties can be, doesn't it, Brick.

500N
3rd Jun 2014, 18:53
Brick

re your comment on Krystals comment re "What thoroughly unpleasant additions to this thread you have made."

It's interesting, all Krystal can do is pull the tall poppies down but not put anyone up as an alternative.

Wings

Exactly :ok:

brickhistory
3rd Jun 2014, 18:55
Some, absolutely.

Not others. There are those of the opposite aisle from me that can represent themselves exceedingly well and can argue their position without personal insults.

I respect them. I may not agree with them, but I respect.

Those that want to sling mud at me will find I'm happy to return fire.

But I'd rather not.

Guess that means K&C won't make the 'hero' list.

tony draper
3rd Jun 2014, 18:58
oops! got me Eddies mixed up.
That should read
Edward Longshanks
Edward III and his lad Edward The Black Prince.
Five points for spotting me deliberate mistake.
Of Edward II we shall say nowt.
:rolleyes:

TomJoad
3rd Jun 2014, 19:05
That's only 4 - Jesus is a fictional character.

So are you - how do we know you are not just some random fluctuation in the internet.:p

onemac
3rd Jun 2014, 19:12
My list is long but at the very, very top:-

1. My mum.

2. My dad.

Al

BenThere
3rd Jun 2014, 19:20
Correct, well done !....treat yourself to a Hershy Bar...or a slice of Mom's Apple Pie.....and Big Mac with fries

Thanks, K&C! That's the first compliment I ever got from you.

You go have yourself a fair trade gluten-free soya shake, Buddy!

Lon More
3rd Jun 2014, 20:01
Edward II we shall say nowt

The first English marathon runner. His time from Bannock Burn to London is still a record

And on the subject. Much is, rightly so, beimg made about it being the 100th Anniversary of WW1 beginning, but have seen absolutely zero about Bannock Burn 700 years ago this year

superq7
3rd Jun 2014, 20:09
Sir Douglas Bader, a real hero.

vulcanised
3rd Jun 2014, 20:36
No Germans then?

brickhistory
3rd Jun 2014, 20:43
Some guy named Gutenberg?

Played in several of those 'Police Academy' movies, I believe.

That or something with books...

Rosevidney1
3rd Jun 2014, 21:12
Samuel Pepys
Charles Darwin
Humphry Davy
Isaac Newton
The unknown soldier.

TomJoad
3rd Jun 2014, 21:12
The first English marathon runner. His time from Bannock Burn to London is still a record

And on the subject. Much is, rightly so, beimg made about it being the 100th Anniversary of WW1 beginning, but have seen absolutely zero about Bannock Burn 700 years ago this year

:D:D:D:D

I do believe he was the first to get sponsored by Nike. The Longshanks Air Pegasus "when you need to seriously hoof it":p

Edited: Lon, good series currently running on BBC2 at moment (Neil Oliver) on Bannockburn. You may be able to get it on the IPlayer if you can access it. There is also a commemoration event planned to mark the anniversary same week as Armed Forces day in Stirling. Should be good, I'm hoping to go along lots of historical re enactment.

http://www.biokineticspt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/nike-free-5-v3.jpg

Cacophonix
3rd Jun 2014, 21:15
I must tell you that I hate the Nazis but this man is one of my heroes...

Joachim Peiper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joachim_Peiper)

So much that I named my son after him...

Caco

con-pilot
3rd Jun 2014, 22:14
Just realized that I only listed four. Everyone but Reagan I either knew personally or had meet, including Truman, he visited the children's ward at Walter Reed Hospital when I was there suffering from polio.

My father, Air Force pilot, World War Two, Berlin Airlift, Korean War and Viet Nam. He also taught me to fly.

General (as in four stars) 'Chappy' James, US Air Force. What he overcame being a black man, a Tuskegee Airman to being a four start general, gave hope and an example to black men and women that if they worked hard, ignored racism they could accomplish anything. My father was his multi-engine transition instructor and they remained friends until Chappy's death.

President Ronald Reagan. He restored confidence in America and turned the economy around in the first three years of his presidency, after Carter nearly destroyed it.

President Harry S. Truman. Because the buck really did stop with him and he made the decision that ended the Second World War.

I also realized that there are few women listed on this thread. So I will add my fifth hero, a person I knew well, who was a great lady who is now sadly passed.

Dottie Young. The very first person, man or woman, that attained a FAA ATR for helicopters, also a World War Two WASP for the United States Army Air Force. The list of aircraft she ferried, usually with no check out or any instruction, would fill a small book. She also gave me my first helicopter instructions, thereby not only being a hero of mine but very brave as well. ;)

500N
3rd Jun 2014, 22:19
Lone

What is the head banging :ugh: for ?

con-pilot
3rd Jun 2014, 22:19
Oh FFS :ugh:

Really. If that is all you have to contribute to this thread, demeaning my list, don't bother.

Jeeze, what putz. :rolleyes:

BenThere
3rd Jun 2014, 22:25
Maybe he can't hack it.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
3rd Jun 2014, 22:34
K&C has a unique line in patronising rudeness. It's part of the reason he (she?) is the sole occupant of my 'ignore' list.

My list? I don't do 'heros' (I am a pilot after all!). But People who command my deepest respect:

Margaret Thatcher (turned UK around from the joke of Europe to a nation of substance)

Winston Churchill for his amazing leadership in WW2

Eric 'Wincle' Brown

Peter Helliwell (a local head teacher who 'lit the candle' for so many kids who didn't know how capable they were until he came into their lives).

Richard Dawkins (so elegantly debunks piffle)

500N
3rd Jun 2014, 22:39
Shaggy

"K&C has a unique line in patronising rudeness. It's part of the reason he (she?) is the sole occupant of my 'ignore' list."

It is a "he" but I have also thought it was a "she" until "he" corrected me :rolleyes:

con-pilot
3rd Jun 2014, 22:41
Maybe he can't hack it.

Yup, K&C and Lone, what a pair. Nice, enjoyable thread, until they come along with their insulting and rude posts. :=

BenThere
3rd Jun 2014, 22:43
One thing in K & C's defense: He assiduously follows all my posts and reminds me frequently of what I wrote, a benefit in my advancing age.

Obviously his take on things is easily derided, but he does express himself well, and challenges me to rise up to swat down his delusions.

I'm happy to have K&C post. I always need a foil.

Cacophonix
3rd Jun 2014, 22:47
I'm happy to have K&C post. I always need a foil

Ben, this is what democracy is about and one of the reasons I respect you.

Caco

PS - He irritates the **** out of me but then I guess I do so for other folks too...

500N
3rd Jun 2014, 22:50
Likewise

K&C and others but it is good to have them along, mostly !

Richo77
4th Jun 2014, 01:12
Tom Joad,

A fluctuation of the Internet? Really? thats it?

Hmmm let me see, i have proof i exist, you could ask anyone of a 1000 people who can in fact confirm i exist as they have seen me, conversed with me, mothered my children, helped create same... etc etc. If you gave me a phone number i could talk or even video call you to prove i exist.

If the old gunslinger Narcs was around you could ask him cause i've had a beer with him.

Prove to me Jesus existed.. oh that's right, you cant.

Here endeth the argument.

brickhistory
4th Jun 2014, 01:20
Sure are a lot of books written about him.

More than a few callings of his name for various purposes - some holy, some passionate, some dismayed.

My money's on him having actually existed.

Then mankind gets hold of his reputation and it's off to the races...

But a gent named Jesus in Jerusalem? Yeah, I'm good with that.

In fact, I saw a Jesus playing second base in the local minor league baseball game.

Coincidence?

Richo77
4th Jun 2014, 01:37
Lots of books written about lots of people Brick, doesnt mean they existed; Jack Ryan, Winnie the Pooh just to name 2.

500N
4th Jun 2014, 01:40
Now look here, Winnie the Pooh existed !

So did Humpty Dumpty :O

Richo77
4th Jun 2014, 02:26
*Hijack Alert*

Ah yes, but no where in the Nursery Rhyme is Humpty ever specified as an Egg... so where does that generalisation come from?

Boudreaux Bob
4th Jun 2014, 02:44
My all time Heroes are the Tin Can Sailors of the Six "Small Boys" of Task Force Taffy 3 when they took on 23 Japanese Warships including the Battleship Yamato, six Cruisers, and Destroyers......and WON!

The Sammy B, Hoel and Johnston crews deserve real credit.

Even the Japanese saluted as they steamed by American Survivors in the water.

500N
4th Jun 2014, 02:48
Along the same lines, always in awe of the M and Z Forces of WWII
and the two raids they did on Sing harbour.

Turbine D
4th Jun 2014, 03:10
Heroes: The Real Doers, here are but a few…

1. The Congressional Medal of Honor awardees that defended freedom often with their lives to save others in all the wars.
2. The firefighters and police officers that rushed to save people in the World Trade Center buildings in NYC on 9/11.
3. The passengers in the hijacked B-757 over Pennsylvania in the morning of 9/11, "Let's Roll".
4. Captain Sully and his Hudson River forced landing.

mikedreamer787
4th Jun 2014, 04:24
The passengers in the hijacked B-757 over Pennsylvania in the morning of 9/11, "Let's Roll".

+1.........

Krystal n chips
4th Jun 2014, 06:27
" K&C has a unique line in patronising rudeness. It's part of the reason he (she?) is the sole occupant of my 'ignore' list.

You know, I could have sworn I once read a comment about "having a dig a your betters".....

My list? I don't do 'heros' (I am a pilot after all!). But People who command my deepest respect

Does one prostrate oneself in supplication in the presence of such a modest deity, .....or convulse with laughter and derision at the pretentious twaddle offered to a rapt world ?

As for my own heroes, I have a few but three in particular.

My Mum and late Dad

Martin Luther-King

Rosa Parks

Alexander Fleming

Emily Pankhurst

Aneurin Beven

Obviously his take on things is easily derided, but he does express himself well, and challenges me to rise up to swat down his delusions

Don't flatter yourself sunshine.....I don't share the views of your supporters on here.

However, you mentioned delusions.....

Do you wear your Captains hat when typing ?......you know, the item than commands, well to you anyway, "due deference ".......

PinkusDickus
4th Jun 2014, 06:55
Public:

Pope John Paul II
Cassius Clay/Muhammed Ali

Both changed the world in such different ways.

Private:

Tony Mazz.....
Colin Bart......

Both recently deceased; both were wise mentors who recognised my potential and pointed me in the right direction. I owe much of my success to their encouragement, guidance and influence.

Personal:

My wife T for being so tolerant, supportive and forgiving

Capetonian
4th Jun 2014, 07:42
Nancy Wake - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/special-forces-obituaries/8689765/Nancy-Wake.html)

NZEDGE Legends ? Nancy Wake, Resistance Fighter ? Warriors (http://www.nzedge.com/nancy-wake/)

I came across an article about this Resistance Heroine in France the other day. There's a sponsored 639 km. bicycle ride in honour of her and others in September info at : www.fany.org.uk

500N
4th Jun 2014, 07:46
She was a fire eater.

She gave a talk at a my unit.

Fareastdriver
4th Jun 2014, 13:12
Prove to me Jesus existed.. oh that's right, you cant.

I think that Jesus actually existed but he wasn't the Son of God. He was a person, possibly a Socialist, who could convince people to take up the Holy Church. Some of his miracles were possible and have been repeated but others are not so. For example feeding the 5,000 with a small amount of bread and fish. At ten seconds a customer that would take thirteen hours and I doubt if the most enthusiastic follower would wait for thirteen hours in a line.

He may have survived the Crucifixion, people have survived worse, and then recovered at the Resurrection just to die or disappear in case the Romans found him again.

The disciples obviously realised that they were on to a good thing with this Son of God business so they punched out the Gospels to keep the ball rolling.

So it has gone on.

Brian Abraham
4th Jun 2014, 15:04
Congressional Medal of HonorAn oft made mistake. The correct title is "Medal of Honor". It is awarded by the President in the name of the Congress, but it is erroneous to refer to it as the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Pedant off.

500N
4th Jun 2014, 15:07
Brian

Funny you mention that. I realised a few hours later but couldn't remember where I had posted it.

Anyway, you are correct.

BenThere
4th Jun 2014, 15:08
Don't flatter yourself sunshine.....I don't share the views of your supporters on here.

However, you mentioned delusions.....

Do you wear your Captains hat when typing ?......you know, the item than commands, well to you anyway, "due deference ".......

Ok, be as disagreeable as you like. I'm not comfortable making it personal.

You've brought up the hat twice, now. The original context, of course, was that I observed passenger response was different when I wore the wheel hat than when I didn't. It had nothing to do with my ego. If it did, wouldn't I wear the hat all the time? The fact is, I'd just as soon throw the damn thing away as it's a PITA. But it's a condition of my employment that I wear it, so I do when I must.

Lonewolf_50
4th Jun 2014, 15:20
Clyde Lassen (http://www.navalhistory.org/2010/06/18/clyde-e-lassen-and-the-medal-of-honor)

One of a number of people who laid it all on the line for someone else.

Jesus: set an example that is hard to live up to, but that people like Lassen "get," even though people like richo never will.

There are a number of others that I won't bother listing, as this thread has turned poisonous.

V2-OMG!
4th Jun 2014, 20:22
Those everyday heroes like this Delta gate agent who never forgot some of our greatest heroes - these D-Day vets who were returning to France on the eve of D-Day.

"And the heartwarming spirit didn't end there......the respect continued on the plane. The pilot thanked the veterans by name, and informed the cabin as the plane passed over Normandy." -MSN

BenThere, we know you would have done same. You are another one of those everyday heroes. :ok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPFSkh2vIM

500N
4th Jun 2014, 20:27
Lone

Another young pilot was awarded the MOH for picking up a MACV-SOG patrol in very hazardous circumstances. It is written up in the book MACV-SOG.

I'll remember his name soon !

Loki
4th Jun 2014, 21:50
Lord Nelson

The Duke of Wellington

Aethelflaed (Lady of the Mercians)

Sir Isaac Newton.....even if he was a bit odd.

Isembard Kingdom Brunel.

BenThere
4th Jun 2014, 22:08
Thanks, V-2.:ok:

I recognized the gate as Detroit is my base and hub. Good to see the crowd rendering the proper respect.

Today remaining WWII vets are making the same overnight flight for D-Day 2014.

500N
4th Jun 2014, 22:14
Good to see everybody standing up.

Not sure that would happen here in Aus or the UK.

John Hill
4th Jun 2014, 22:22
I recognized the gate as Detroit is my base and hub. Good to see the crowd rendering the proper respect.

Yes that is nice.

Richo77
5th Jun 2014, 00:19
What's so special about all these military folk? Is doing your job being a hero these days?

I get that they lay it on the line for others and i thank one and all for doing it, but isn't that the job? Are they not trained to do exactly that?

LW
You're right; i don't get it, never have, never will, because its FICTION. I could pick holes in it all day long but cant be bothered. As i tell all "believers"; MY imaginary friend is much cooler, he's a tiger who rides a motorbike!

John Hill
5th Jun 2014, 00:34
I would like to see some more recognition for people who go about their jobs without complaint, often for low pay, and which really do contribute in a big way to the well being of the population of cities and towns. Sanitation workers etc.

Fareastdriver
5th Jun 2014, 00:40
What's so special about all these military folk? Is doing your job being a hero these days?

The D Day vets were not doing a job. Like most of the soldiers in WW II, American, British, German or Russian, they were in the Forces because they were called up. The alternative was a visit to the slammer.

I would like to see some more recognition for people who go about their jobs without complaint

They do in the UK. It's called the Queen's Honours List. It comes out every six months and
beside the usual politicians and pop stars there is a host of MBE's and similar awarded to just the people you are talking about.

oopspff7
5th Jun 2014, 00:50
Me.Me.Me.Me.Me. Had to to do 10 letters bollox.

rgbrock1
6th Jun 2014, 20:55
Thomas Jefferson - For giving voice to the concept of Liberty and the sanctity of the individual.

James Madison - For the ideals expressed in our Constitution

My son Oliver - Who has largely overcome his Aspergers Syndrome form of Autism and will compete next weekend in the Special Olympics 2014 USA Games in NJ representing the state of Connecticut in soccer. Hooah, son.

U.S. Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell - For being the lone survivor and overcoming all odds.

Dad - Because.