PDA

View Full Version : GR7/9 to NOT get ASRAAM?

Jimlad
22nd May 2002, 08:38
Got this off Hansard today - what the hell are their airships/lordships playing at?

Missiles

Mr. Jenkin: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if Harrier GR7 and GR9 will be equipped with ASRAAM. [56195]

Mr. Ingram: ASRAAM will not be fitted to Harrier GR7, nor do we intend to integrate the missile on to the aircraft during the programme to upgrade GR7 to GR9 standard.

Mr. Jenkin: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if he will make a statement on progress on the Meteor missile programme. [56196]

Mr. Ingram: A finalised draft contract for the Meteor missile was sent to our partner nations at the end of April. Once approval is obtained from each nation we will be in a position to award the Meteor contract to MBDA. This is currently planned for early July.

Mike RO'Channel
22nd May 2002, 08:57
I wouldn't trust our airships to find the brewery, let alone organise the proverbial pi55-up!
This does not compute with the decision to retire the SHAR. Now our 'carrier-borne' expeditonary force will have no aircraft platform capable of proper air-defence (even close-range) at all. I suppose now JSF will be scrapped too as we've coped so well without it so far, do we really need it!
:mad: :mad:

steamchicken
22nd May 2002, 15:20
you couldn't make it up

WE Branch Fanatic
22nd May 2002, 16:16
The Government consider that the fleet does not need defence against enemy aircraft.

pshakey
22nd May 2002, 17:32
I refer the Honourable gentleman to the earlier conflict (1982).
:mad:

TL Thou
23rd May 2002, 15:32
Ahem, nor is the GR7/9 getting Storm Shadow and it ain't gonna get a gun neither.

So much for vastly improved strike capability. :mad:

WE Branch Fanatic
23rd May 2002, 16:25
But it will get Brimstone. Just the thing if anyone tries to attack the Fleet with tanks!

Jackonicko
23rd May 2002, 16:40
No ASRAAM for Harrier, no digi-ASRAAM for F3? What are they going to put it on.....

Thinks: Anyone know of an RAF aircraft with in-service HMS, already wired for ASRAAM, with rails, and which has done the best part of a digi-ASRAAM integration already at Boscombe?

And which needs improved self defence capability..........

Just asking........

Jackonicko
23rd May 2002, 16:43
Sorry, wasn't thinking! Can't add capabilities to that jet. The ill-informed might stop dissing its capabilities and singling it out as the best option for premature retirement.........:D

NoseGunner
24th May 2002, 07:34
Jacko, I really think you should change your name to Jagonicko!

You're more fanatical about the Jag than any Jag mate I've ever met!
:)

Minstral
24th May 2002, 09:09
So what has it got then?

No ASRAAM, no Storm Shadow, no cannon and no Blue Vixen Radar as it's counterpart SHAR; and they give it Brimstone???

I realise the defence budget is being squeezed but now they want to stretch it to carry the assylum seekers home from France as well as fighting wars and keeping the peace everywhere else in the world!! Maybe they ought to cut back the missions a little or we will have an airforce that can do anything more than give joyrides and do airdisplays!