PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks to prepare for a cyber attack

crewmeal
2nd Jun 2014, 18:32
Sky reporting what seems the attack of the year. What gets me is how do they know the time sacle of two weeks

'Two Weeks' To Prepare For Cyber Attack (http://news.sky.com/story/1273922/two-weeks-to-prepare-for-cyber-attack)

mixture
2nd Jun 2014, 19:51
You know, this is just plain weird.

The press release on the NCA website says :

Action taken by the NCA to combat the threat will give the UK public a unique, two-week opportunity to rid and safeguard themselves from two distinct but associated forms of malware known as GOZeuS and CryptoLocker.

To which the obvious question is.... if the NCA were so amazing in this "action" in getting a "two-week opportunity" ..... then why have they been unable to make the opportunity permanent !

( My guess is they've managed to disrupt the C&C systems and are taking a guess it that it will take the bad guys about two weeks to reinstate )

Has to be also said that the words "unique, two-week opportunity" sound awfully like the sort of pitch you get from a greasy sales rep, not a government agency !

However I do agree with their advice (my highlighting) :

Members of the public can protect themselves by making sure security software is installed and updated, by running scans and checking that computer operating systems and applications are up to date.

Ahhem.. cough... time to get rid of XP... cough... :)

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2014, 22:11
or don't click on any links in emails......