PDA

View Full Version : England - World Cup 2014

TomJoad
2nd Jun 2014, 12:05
May be a bit early to raise a general world cup thread but a piece on the news just caught my attention. Seams like the England team are waking up to the criticism of the past when it comes to signing of our national anthem. Hodgson is reported as encouraging the team to belt out God Save The Queen with passion to show their pride.

http://www.sport.net/england-players-told-to-show-passion-by-belting-out-national-anthem-before-matches_195318

Got me thinking, how well do you know it past the first line or verse.

Tom

Edited - Sorry really should have included all national anthems at that. So how well do you know yours and do you sign it with passion?

muppetofthenorth
2nd Jun 2014, 12:27
Know both 'main' verses, but it's hard to sing something with passion when it succeeds at solely sucking such passion out of you.

Want a passionate song? Get a passionate tune.

Suffolk Lad
2nd Jun 2014, 12:30
The full version is a bit strong you know.

1. God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

2. O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign;
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen!

4. Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world over.

5. From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!

Blacksheep
2nd Jun 2014, 12:30
Ah, the world cup. I heard our team are not too optimistic. All the players have tickets for the men's final at Wimbledon. ;)

500N
2nd Jun 2014, 12:32
I can't recite it (them) but just looked it up and would be able to sing it when it is played.

Same with the English one.

A lot of people think the Australian one needs changing to something more rousing !

Seldomfitforpurpose
2nd Jun 2014, 12:34
Know both 'main' verses, but it's hard to sing something with passion when it succeeds at solely sucking such passion out of you.

Want a passionate song? Get a passionate tune.

The England Rugby team seem to manage quite nicely with singing it with plenty of passion :ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Jun 2014, 13:15
It's a dirge; and there isn't an inspiring word in it. It's also psychologically submissive, which is the last emotion you want before a sporting contest. All the other UK nations sing something else. 'Land of Hope and Glory' gets my vote.

Lon More
2nd Jun 2014, 13:32
Billy Connolly suggested the theme from The Archers would be more appropriate

TomJoad
2nd Jun 2014, 13:33
I think the trouble with national anthems is that they all promise so much but fail to deliver - either the tune is a dirge or the words over ambitious. I do feel for our athletes and footballers when the camera naturally falls on them when the anthem is played. It is hard to sing it with true passion. As much as picking a new anthem is fraught with all sort of problems maybe it could improve the situation. Then again how could you just adopt something of the moment with no pedigree.

MagnusP
2nd Jun 2014, 13:50
Crushing rebellious Scots? Int gonna happen. :p

TomJoad
2nd Jun 2014, 14:25
Crushing rebellious Scots? Int gonna happen. :p

Oh I don't know we are pretty crap at football, usually get crushed there.:p

acbus1
2nd Jun 2014, 14:30
signing of our national anthem
What, for the deaf fans, you mean?

TomJoad
2nd Jun 2014, 14:36
Just had a thought - we usually have an official world cup pop song but I don't recall hearing one this time around. Have I missed something?

What's your best world cup song - official or unofficial - I'm a child of Ally's army and "We're on the march wi' Ally's Army" - oh happy days of youth we really thought Scotland was in with a chance. With a foot in both camps though I thought "Three Lions" was brilliant - full of passion and hope and pride.

?v=RJqimlFcJsM

MagnusP
2nd Jun 2014, 14:47
TomJoad, that's capitulating Scots, rather than rebellious, sadly. :sad:

Krystal n chips
2nd Jun 2014, 15:00
" Hodgson is reported as encouraging the team to belt out God Save The Queen with passion to show their pride"

Erm, how can you belt out what is, in effect, a funeral dirge ?

As National Anthems go, the UK's has to be amongst the most catatonic there is.....you can't say there's even the remotest semblance of passion in the lyrics, or the tune.

I really does stem back to a time many on here would seem to long for...when everybody "knew their place".....thankfully not everybody did and so society progressed.....times have changed though, well for those of us who live in the 21st century that is.....and there's nothing inspiring about an anthem concocted, for want of a better term, in the Victorian era.

Now Land of Hope and Glory ( sans the Tory party ) or Jerusalem, these do have passion.....as do the Welsh, French, German and Scottish unofficial Flower of Scotland anthems. And if the cousins are feeling left out, fear not, yours is just pure saccharine and syrup .

TomJoad
2nd Jun 2014, 15:07
TomJoad, that's capitulating Scots, rather than rebellious, sadly. :sad:

Point taken (happily) Magnus - nemo me impune lacessit:ok:

Tom

Lonewolf_50
4th Jun 2014, 14:47
I'd say the Brits at least have quality soccer as an expectation.

The US National Team drama going on about Landon Donovan is farcical to begin with, and when you look at the group they are in, the US won't get out of that round alive.
Germany
Portugal
Ghana
USA

If I recall recent history, Ghana beat USA in last World Cup.
Portugal and Germany have strong enough squads that I don't think the US has a chance unless they upset on team and all other tie each other all the time.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
4th Jun 2014, 15:05
I must say that I like everything about Roy Hodgson's approach this time around -squad selection, training, PR.

bar fly
4th Jun 2014, 15:09
I just drew USA in the office sweepstake :sad:

There's five quid I'll never see again.:(

Rossian
4th Jun 2014, 17:43
.......passion?? Are you sure? It's another bloody dirge and Highland Cathedral isn't any better.

Get up and go you need something like The Marseillaise or even better The Radetsky March.

Every time I hear FoS I want to creep away and hide my face in embarrassment.

The Ancient Mariner

TomJoad
4th Jun 2014, 21:58
.......passion?? Are you sure? It's another bloody dirge and Highland Cathedral isn't any better.

Get up and go you need something like The Marseillaise or even better The Radetsky March.

Every time I hear FoS I want to creep away and hide my face in embarrassment.

The Ancient Mariner

What would you replace it with Rossian?

Tom

Cyber Bob
5th Jun 2014, 07:20
50 on Belgium I reckon is worth a punt

Rule3
5th Jun 2014, 08:26
IMHO England will be extremely lucky to get past the Group stage.

My money is on Italy and Uruguay to progress.

I can already hear the excuses, too hot, too humid etc. etc. .:{

TURIN
5th Jun 2014, 10:00
This gives me an idea.

Time for a new thread methinks.

JB WORLD CUP SWEEP (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/541130-jb-world-cup-sweep.html)

Evanelpus
5th Jun 2014, 15:47
" Hodgson is reported as encouraging the team to belt out God Save The Queen with passion to show their pride"

Well, that didn't happen last night.

One or two looked as though they knew the words but the vast majority looked like they couldn't care less.

Simplythebeast
5th Jun 2014, 15:53
Its no good writing them down as half of 'em can't read.

Simplythebeast
5th Jun 2014, 15:57
Perhaps "Show me the way to go home" would be appropriate.

papajuliet
5th Jun 2014, 16:00
It's always seemed to me that our anthem is an anthem to the monarch [ does any other nation have that?]. I think we should have an anthem which lauds the nation not an individual.

TURIN
5th Jun 2014, 17:17
Such as this one? :E

England fans choice.

TomJoad
5th Jun 2014, 21:26
It's always seemed to me that our anthem is an anthem to the monarch [ does any other nation have that?]. I think we should have an anthem which lauds the nation not an individual.

Well said papajulliet - I have nothing but respect from HM but it should be the Nation itself and her people we laud. Maybe then we would sign it with pride.

TomJoad
5th Jun 2014, 21:31
Nothing against Stevie Wonder but really, is this teh best song we could get:ugh:

Not exactly catchy - maybe it's just me:bored:

BBC Sport - World Cup 2014: BBC has Stevie Wonder song as theme tune (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27707280)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
5th Jun 2014, 22:01
It's not just you...

Wrathmonk
5th Jun 2014, 22:36
Never really understood why they play God Save The Queen at England footie matches - after all, isn't GSTQ the British National Anthem? What do they play before the Scottish football lose?

Rugby seems to be different and, if memory serves me right, a vote was held before the last Commonwealth games to decide on what was to be used by English competitors as a victory anthem (Jerusalem ?)

TomJoad
5th Jun 2014, 22:47
Yep, Flower of Scotland is sung by Scottish Rugby fans, not 100% sure but think it would also be sung (unofficially) at football. Although we will most likely never know as unlikely we will ever be in a world cup again! Flower of Scotland while popular, like GSTQ, has its critics as being too historical in outlook. It is a difficult one - too modern and the song like fashion is of the moment and will not be long lived.

Krystal n chips
6th Jun 2014, 05:17
I think you can safely say there's a wee bit of passion in this rendition....;)

Flower of Scotland Rugby V England 1990 - YouTube

Mr Chips
6th Jun 2014, 07:25
Those of you saying the National Anthem is a dirge and can't be sung with passion have presumably never watched rugby? Watch the England team sing before a game, and then stand in the crowd while they sing it.

I sang it at the Stade Jean Bouin in Paris recently at a European Club game, and believe me, we sang with passion.

Perhaps it is the attitude of those singing rather than the anthem itself....

(But I agree that we should have an "English" anthem sung when appropriate)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Jun 2014, 10:15
Mr Chips - If you check carefully, you'll see nobody said it can't be sung with passion, just that there's no passion in the song and it's hard to sing it with passion. Speaking for myself, I have sung it with passion at England rugby matches, and a whole bunch of other events, but it's still a dirge and I'd much rather there was something else, like 'Land of Hope and Glory'.
Canada still has 'God Save the Queen' as the Royal Anthem, but we sing 'O Canada' at every sporting event.