PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ orders A320 and A321neo

c100driver
1st Jun 2014, 18:52
Air New Zealand is replacing its Airbus international aircraft with new models worth $1.6 billion as it refreshes its fleet.

In a deal announced this morning, the airline said it will buy 13 Airbus A320neo (new engine option) international planes and another A320 to join its domestic fleet.

Among the international planes are at least three A321neos which are part of the A320 family but have a stretched fuselage that can hold more passengers and fly further.

The aircraft will be used on Tasman and Pacific Island routes.

The announcement comes as the airline prepares for the arrival of the first of 10 widebody Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner planes for use on longhaul routes.

The A320neo aircraft will replace Air New Zealand's current fleet of 13 A320s which operate the majority of the airline's short-haul international services.

Equipped with new generation engines and fuel efficient swept up sharklet wing tips they are expected to deliver fuel savings of up to 15 per cent on the airline's existing A320s which first joined the fleet in 2003.

Air New Zealand chief executive Christopher Luxon signed the agreement with Airbus chief operating officer, customers, John Leahy at the International Air Transport Association's annual general meeting in Doha, Qatar, early today.

While the list price totals around $1.6 billion, the airline has received undisclosed discounts for the order.

Shareholder approval is not required as the value of the transaction is below the "relevant thresholds", the airline said.

Air New Zealand has two separate fleets of A320s, one with a 168-seat international configuration and one in domestic with 171 seats.

The domestic A320s are being phased in to replace ageing Boeing 737s.

The airline said A321neos have 38 more seats than the A320s which fly to Australia and the Pacific Islands.

The first A321neo is due in late 2017 with the remainder of the aircraft delivered at intervals through until 2019.

The additional A320 for the domestic fleet will be delivered early next year.

Luxon said the purchase was part of the aim of simplifying its fleet, a key part of its "Go Beyond" strategy of high growth.

"Operating one narrow body aircraft type will bring important efficiencies in training, maintenance and operating costs," he said.

Airbus said the A320neo family of aircraft is the world's best-selling single aisle aircraft.

The company already has some 2700 orders for A320neo models from 50 customers around the globe.

Big order

• Airbus A320neos are the latest generation of the popular single aisle jet
• Air NZ will buy 13 of the planes
• The stretched version can hold up to 220 passengers

Source NZ Hearld

gate4
2nd Jun 2014, 06:59
The A321neo type is a fair replacement of the 767-300s that they use on short runs to Australia and Pacific.

Tarq57
2nd Jun 2014, 10:20
The A321neo type is a fair replacement of the 767-300s that they use on short runs to Australia and Pacific.Some of the passengers might just dispute that....
I do, anyway.

waren9
2nd Jun 2014, 16:02
be interesting to see where they send those 321s. may be a better fit on some routes than the 767. still, late 2017 is a while away. comparing a single aisle jet to a twin from a pax perspective maybe a little unfair, although tarq if your experience of the 321 is the 220 seat nightmares of jetstar i dont think airnz would be that silly :O

Chris2303
2nd Jun 2014, 20:50
I wonder is anybody else is thinking "how come Koru Airways is doing so well when the flying rat is doing so badly"?

Tarq57
2nd Jun 2014, 21:01
... comparing a single aisle jet to a twin from a pax perspective maybe a little unfair...That's it.
(I also like the way the '76 leaps into the air, but from a pax p.o.v, that's in the 'cosmetic' category, I guess.)

No matter how it's configured, the seat room will be "snug", I guess.

scon
2nd Jun 2014, 23:55
I have only ever been on 1 A321, many years back in Europe, while the size difference was noticeable compared to the A320 on the previous leg, it certainly did not feel like a 767.

How to you fit almost the same number of pax from a 763 into what is a considerably smaller narrow body? Especially with the talk of business class on the 321. And at what penalty, if any? (range, comfort e.t.c)

The Banjo
3rd Jun 2014, 00:35
The kiwi's will happily sit on a cardboard box if it has a sheepskin cover on it :p

donkey123
3rd Jun 2014, 01:40
Don't forget that these aircraft are to replace existing A320's. The replacement for the 763 is of course the 789.

It should close the gap nicely between the A320 at around 170 seats and the 789 at circa 300.

Seems ideal to me. 789 on the long haul flights were the 763 is barely palatable currently, or high density short haul when loads dictate. A320/21 for all other short haul.

27/09
3rd Jun 2014, 02:51
I hear the 320 has landing weight limitations on sectors like Adelaide when an alternate is required and they have to limit pax nos. I'm guessing the 321 might be for these types of sectors.

I doubt the 321's would be to replace the 767's

Joe A350
3rd Jun 2014, 06:46
Hi All,

For those who are talking down the choice (bro) of the Airbus 320 NEO product, one needs to look at the fleet choice over the years that have been made and realise that the fleet planning has been given thought before the purchase. Currenlty it is just speculation on the routes the A321 is going to operate on. In my opinion, Qantas (Domestic) should follow suit and replace the older 73NG with the A321 that are slated for Jetstar. This would be a better product on short domestic runs to replace the B767 over the larger A330.

Air NZ product offered on the B777 is one of the best I've experienced. If they can replicate something similar on the A321, I think the PAX should be very happy.

27/09
3rd Jun 2014, 07:15
Leadsled,

Did you get the right thread there. I'm not sure what the parlous (if you believe some on here) state of aviation safety in Oz has to do with AirNZ announcing a purchase of A320/321 NEO's.