PDA

View Full Version : A pox on the engineers who developed HDMI!

John Hill
1st Jun 2014, 07:00
A pox on those engineers who developed the HDMI standard.

We have a TEAC stereo, DVD/CD player, fm tuner. It is only a cheapo but it would be adequate for the job except that it needs to be connected to a TV to display various setup and menus etc. It was working for a year on two via a very expensive HDMI cable installed in the wall.

One day this mongrel arrangement decided to stop working, nothing at all shows on the LG TV, not on any of the HDMI ports so I concluded the TEAC stereo had died on the job. Just to be sure I went and spent a few bucks on the cheapest DVD player I could find and connected that to the TV, NOTHING!

My feeling now is that it is more than likely that the HDMI process in the TV has got the pip and will not handshake with anything! Frustrating complications brought on by never ending attempts to mess with the counterfeiters and to he11 with the consumer who has to pay for this s tutae!

Now I have to buy some 10 metre component video cables... if I cant find a way to reset this basket TV.

Of course Google is usually a life saver in these situations but in this case 99.999% of the advice available online has been written by school children.

tony draper
1st Jun 2014, 07:23
I find people on techy sites are happy to answer questions but generally the answer is to a question you didn't ask.:confused:

John Hill
1st Jun 2014, 07:26
A Google search for 'HDMI problem' is just the same as typing 'Xbox' or 'Playstation'.

500N
1st Jun 2014, 07:28
John,

Have you the net forum Whirlpool ?

Normally very good for all things tech and limited to adults.

You might have to join but it is worth it and some very tech savvy people on there.

John Hill
1st Jun 2014, 07:36
Thanks, I will take a look in there.

mikedreamer787
1st Jun 2014, 08:42
I find people on techy sites are happy to answer questions but generally the answer is to a question you didn't ask.

True Drapes. Bit like going to a hardware
store that stocks everything ever created
on Earth except what it is you need.

500N
1st Jun 2014, 08:49
John

Just had a quick look.

Some interesting discussions on Whirlpool re HDMI and TV, steroes etc.

Plenty of reading for tonight ;)

Good luck.

TWT
1st Jun 2014, 08:50
2 things I have found about HDMI cables

1) The stores will try and sell you ridiculously priced cables.They don't work any better than the cheap ones.Trick is if using the cheap ones,to keep the cable lengths to a minimum.

It's digital,so the 'oxygen free copper' supposedly used in the expensive ones won't deliver better pictures/sound than the cheap ones.

2) The connectors aren't very robust,so the less you plug and unplug,the better.

tony draper
1st Jun 2014, 08:59
Worst connection I ever came across is the original mini scart on Bush TVs,plug itself not shaped in a way that only allowed it to be inserted the right was round,no sir,so buggad said plug very first time it was plugged in, tried to get replacement,got one eventually from ebay (19 quid) genuine Bush mini scart different from the first one,different shape more robust metal shrouded bugga didn't fit,techy sites consulted,apparently Bush discontinued the first plug after the first production run as it broke so easily,perhaps that's why this telly was so cheap.:(
Thing is, twere the scart connection I needed as it was just to be used as a cctv monitor.
:uhoh:

Windy Militant
1st Jun 2014, 09:29
but in this case 99.999% of the advice available online has been written by school children.
Usually in this sort of case they seem to be the go to people who have the answers!

Do you have access to another TV to check the wall points?
Has any one been doing any DIY? You know drilled through the cable perhaps.
Are you on cable or a receiver set up.
I know at me Mums place the TV stopped working because the aerial fell off the chimney after one of the clamps broke.
Come to think of it the bro's satellite dish fell off in the wind earlier this year because the pole holding it up rotted through.

Only saying like!

PS the Normal Scart were just as bad if you had to keep moving the kit. I frequently had to use my leatherman to pull pins back through the plugs!

tony draper
1st Jun 2014, 09:43
Agree,scarts were a bad choice for a universal standard connection,slightest movement pushing the kit into a place it just fits ie a rack for nine monitors and out would pop the bloody scarts and no way you could get your hand behind to shove the buggah back in.:uhoh:

B Fraser
1st Jun 2014, 10:41
Scart, I blame the French as they invented it.

John Hill
1st Jun 2014, 11:06
I have been reading up what I can and needless to say there is no clear answer and I dare not mess with the TV during evening viewing hours. Nonetheless there has been nothing I read to dissuade me from the notion that the TV is packing a sulk and refusing to handshake with HDMI devices, it was working quite well the last time we used it and then it stopped never to go again. Of course it might be that that Mrs Brown's Boys DVD has offended it somehow.

I have ordered component video cables and hopefully they will arrive in a few days. Even if I got the HDMI to work again I could not trust it to not cause an intensive domestic stress situation sometime again in the future.

Windy Militant
1st Jun 2014, 11:13
Hmm this isn't just a ploy to get the Memshaib to allow you to buy a 50" TV for the kev ball is it! :suspect:

John Hill
1st Jun 2014, 11:20
This one is only 42" and a bigger one has actually come up in discussion.

Mr Optimistic
1st Jun 2014, 11:24
Is there anyway you can do a factory reset on the TV? Sounds like you need to try with another TV or monitor. Unplug the power for a few minutes and swear at it?

Hempy
1st Jun 2014, 11:27
Mine went tits up. I bought a new cable. It worked!

tony draper
1st Jun 2014, 11:27
Most modern TVs have the option of downloading new firmware, you could try that, LG telly I had had a usb socket on the back that was labeled 'engineering only',shufty on the techy sites said that that model originally had a fully functional USB socket on it,so I downloaded the original firmware scragged the new firmware and loaded and installed the older version,and bobs yer uncle fully working usb socket on me telly,ere, never really used the buggah but that's not what us shedites potter about for,it's the challenge.
:rolleyes:

A A Gruntpuddock
1st Jun 2014, 11:47
In these situations I always start by replacing the cheapest items first.

That way you don't lose too much if it doesn't work.

Have you tries moving the cable about at the connectors?

Could be that the connector is coming loose on the motherboard.

onetrack
1st Jun 2014, 12:17
How to Troubleshoot HDMI Connection Problems (http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheaterdoityourself/a/How-To-Troubleshoot-Hdmi-Connection-Problems.htm)

AAG has a good point. It's not unknown for soldered joints to crack where connectors are attached to the PCB - even more so if the cable has been plugged and unplugged numerous times. People always wiggle tight connectors to free cables for unplugging, it's the worst thing you can do. And quite often, connectors and cables are accidentally bashed by vacuum-cleaner heads, by people accidentally kicking them, or by movement of the item as its re-located.

vulcanised
1st Jun 2014, 12:29
AVForums.com contains a wealth of information and some helpful contributors on this subject.

Dushan
1st Jun 2014, 12:42
Worst connection I ever came across is the original mini scart on Bush TVs,plug itself not shaped in a way that only allowed it to be inserted the right was round,no sir,so buggad said plug very first time it was plugged in, tried to get replacement,got one eventually from ebay (19 quid) genuine Bush mini scart different from the first one,different shape more robust metal shrouded bugga didn't fit,techy sites consulted,apparently Bush discontinued the first plug after the first production run as it broke so easily,perhaps that's why this telly was so cheap.:(
Thing is, twere the scart connection I needed as it was just to be used as a cctv monitor.
:uhoh:

Stop blaming GWB, he's been out of office for six years.

dazdaz1
1st Jun 2014, 15:44
Back in 2025 advances were made in electro/signal transmissions that removed the need for most cabling to household devices such as tv/kettle/micro and washing machine.

You think I jest?

2025 Grand National winner Mersey Boy (33/1) owned by the Grandson on of Ginger MaC

2025 Chester City win the Premier League.

2026 England win the world cup.

mixture
1st Jun 2014, 17:55
John Hill,

Sounds like HDMI handshake problems.

Good luck is all I can say to that. :E