PDA

View Full Version : Rapport - Current Opinions??

Ancient Observer
31st May 2014, 17:04
In the past, the wise folk on here have advised us not to download Rapport - the software the Banks like you to have.
I am fed up with being pestered whenever I log on to manage my pennies.

What are folk's current views on Rapport?

Thanks

AO

mad_jock
31st May 2014, 18:40
still the same as before.

vulcanised
31st May 2014, 19:47
Wot Jock said.

He may be mad but he's not stupid.

Saab Dastard
31st May 2014, 23:05
Interestingly the bank I deal with (HSBC / First Direct) for both personal and business use has abandoned Rapport and provided security key cards instead.

Go figure.

SD

mad_jock
1st Jun 2014, 08:24
just had a quick surf for it to see if things have improved.

Actually they have got a lot worse.

The software now allows the bank to analyse your PC.

Its nasty stuff, basically legit snooping software which you have no idea what its looking at or who its sending information to.

And there are still loads of reports about it crashing machines.

Its also now getting targeted in its own right with malware.

I will continue to not touch it with a bargepole.

vulcanised
1st Jun 2014, 11:24
In fact, on the First Direct site, you can still log in for slightly restricted use without using your key card if you wish.

Capetonian
1st Jun 2014, 11:29
I've just opened an account with HSBC (after doing so with Lloyds who must be the most disastrously incompetent organisation I've ever dealt with).

Each time I log on to the HSBC site it ask me to download Rapport, so I don't see that they have abandoned it, but I do have a key card.

Interestingly the bank I deal with (HSBC / First Direct) for both personal and business use has abandoned Rapport and provided security key cards instead.I believe they do two different things. Rapport detects phishing attempts via bogus websites, whereas the key card prevents, or attempts to do so, unauthorised access to your account.

I also bank with Natwest, who sometimes ask me to download Rapport. I have not done so.

Ancient Observer
1st Jun 2014, 14:32
Thanks, All.

I will continue to ignore/avoid it.

ExSp33db1rd
1st Jun 2014, 22:43
I have not done so.

I have, and have detected no "known" problems, but maybe ignorance is bliss?

jimtherev
1st Jun 2014, 22:57
...Lloyds who must be the most disastrously incompetent organisation I've ever dealt with...

You obviously haven't banked with Santander yet then?

Keef
1st Jun 2014, 23:21
What Jim said re the Spanish bank. Caused me serious grief, they did. Never again!

Rapport: I don't know what it does or is supposed to do, but I was called in to "fix" a neighbour's PC a few weeks ago. Her son had been using it for "games", and had managed to import a large number of browser hijackers and other similar rubbish. But what was really gumming it up was Rapport - which hadn't protected her against the junk anyway.

Junk and Rapport removed (that took a whole afternoon) and all is well.

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2014, 06:51
its meant to be able to stop anything coming in through you web browser.

But it screws around with your PC at API level.

The worrying thing about it is that it is meant to allow the bank to be able to push instructions to your PC and also it allows the bank to pull a status from it.

Because it embeds its self at quite a low level API it basically has legitimate access to everything. It also back ground updates so it can inject what ever it likes into your PC.

P.Pilcher
2nd Jun 2014, 19:25
Despite Capetonian's opinion, at least Lloyds are not using Rapport (yet) so at least that is one thing in their favour.

P.P.

Guest 112233
3rd Jun 2014, 21:38
Re Rapoort.

I wonder if: this/these act(s) is being violated by the said software, if installed.

The Hacking of Computers and the Criminal Law (http://www.inbrief.co.uk/offences/hacking-of-computers.htm)

CAT III

mad_jock
4th Jun 2014, 09:01
nope, you installed so your are authorising the bank to have full access to your PC.

Guest 112233
4th Jun 2014, 10:22
Yep I wondered about that too - i suspect that if the Bank's excercised a degree of coercion i.e. Use our PUP (potentially unwanted program) or we refuse you access to the service, then its open to question ? As to the possibility, as to if an offence has been committed.

I'm not a lawer but my instinct (if the software does "Analyse" your PC or others accessable on your home network) would be yes. Edit: Issues of informed concent apply too.

CAT III

mad_jock
4th Jun 2014, 10:58
That's why they have to resort to nagging to get you to install it.

If they made it a condition for service they would be on expensive dodgy ground legally.

They obviously think that nagging you everytime you log in and some bint that doesn't have clue about computer security lecturing you when you have an interview with the bank is acceptable.

But to be honest personally I feel that its similar to loan insurance if anything nasty happened they could be in trouble for false information.

gemma10
6th Jun 2014, 07:35
I read all from this thread yesterday. How fortuitous. Today I`ve recieved an email from MBNA, a credit card I seldom use The following is a statement in their email: " Dear xxxx, We`ve teamed up with online security experts, Trusteer, to offer you Rapport security software, blah blah blah. Security software like Rapport can really help you in the fight against online fraud."
I had never heard of it before reading this thread, very pleased I did. :ok:

Capot
7th Jun 2014, 17:16
I downloaded Rapport some years ago, acting on a Bank's recommendation/request.

Within days I realised that the problems I was having were due entirely to this software.

With professional help (expensive) I finally managed to get rid of it and all the little bits it tried to leave behind.

Never, ever, again. I get these exhortations daily from most of the banks I now keep accounts with, and delete them promptly.

I wouldn't trust a bank under any circumstances, and especially not to instal software they are suggesting. If there are any certainties in life, one is that if a Bank wants you to do something, it is not for your benefit, but their's.

olympus
8th Jun 2014, 16:09
Some years ago I also downloaded Rapport on my bank's urging thinking that the bank would be less likely to argue if by some mischance my account was hacked. I have not been aware of any problems since then and it seemingly sleeps quietly on my computer apart from very occasionally springing into life and asking me if I really meant to log in to my eBay account or whatever (something I do every day...!). It then goes back to sleep.

Booglebox
9th Jun 2014, 07:49
With professional help (expensive) I finally managed to get rid of it and all the little bits it tried to leave behind.

This is a situation where System Restore is quite useful. Saved my ass once already this year, from dodgy software.

PPRuNe Pop
10th Jun 2014, 20:19
I have used Rapport for over 6 years and I still use it now. I have never had one single problem with it. Indeed, last year it stopped some nonsense on my account. Not got a bad word to say about it.

finncapt
13th Feb 2015, 08:03
So, my antivirus f-secure (subscription with service provider) decided to attempt to update yesterday and reported it could not because there is a conflict with Trusteer Rapport (from my UK bank).

It cannot continue until I manually uninstall Trusteer.

No problem thinks I.

Can I uninstall the b****y thing - no I cannot but am working on it.

Not life threatening but time consuming!!!

Keef
13th Feb 2015, 08:57
I have steered well clear, after many warnings like Jock's. However, this may help:

Uninstalling Rapport using the SafeUninstall Utility | Trusteer (http://www.trusteer.com/support/uninstalling-rapport-using-safeuninstall-utility)

finncapt
13th Feb 2015, 09:07
Yes, I found that and it seemed to hang.

Funnily, we had a power glitch, quite common here, and when I restarted the computer Rapport had gone.

The trouble is now my antivirus has got corrupted and won't start.

I can try to go back to an earlier time but that may reintroduce Rapport so I won't do that.

Will download MS security essentials and use that - I don't use the windows computer for much these days and certainly not for banking - for the time being.

Keef
13th Feb 2015, 09:57
Sounds like my experience with anti-virus.

Like Trusteer, they put their hooks into all sorts of places, and then are the devil to unhook. Uninstall, restart, rinse and repeat sometimes gets them out. Then a clean reinstall of the virus protection may work.

The one I use (Avast free, with some paid-for bolt-ons) has behaved immaculately since I installed it.