PDA

View Full Version : Want to use your SRC firms or retirement tickets? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Dropp the Pilot
31st May 2014, 07:13
It seems a bit quiet on here seeing that we now have essentially no access to these perks since the arrival of the splendid "Special" tickets.

Considering how many conversations with other pilots have the refrain "I am just going to serve out xx years so that I get my retirement tickets", why isn't there more incandescent rage being expressed here or elsewhere?

Not being disingenuous, just curious why such a major hit to people's mobility and aspirations has passed without a whimper when elsewhere entire threads bemoan the inability to afford the super-size meal at the MacDonald's in LA.

JAARule
31st May 2014, 09:40
I think a lot of guys haven't figured it out yet as it wasn't obvious at first to the casual glance. As the picture becomes more clear, long serving staff will realise they've been screwed so the company can pick up a few more bucks out of staff travel.

Free tickets for life? From this bunch? It was only a matter of time.

777boyo
31st May 2014, 10:21
Calm down, girls.

I left relatively recently - within the last few months, and certainly well after the advent of the hated "Special" tickets.

When you retire, you receive a letter entitled "Travel Concessions after leaving the Company", which spells out what you're entitled to. My letter (I was with EK well over the 15 years years, and left a few months before normal retirement age) - advises that until my Retirement concessions kick in early in 2015, I can use any outstanding SRC tickets, plus they put 2 more free Subload and 2 more free firm tickets into my SRC ticket "bank". Once the Retirement concessions kick in (after I hit normal retirement age), I will get 2 free Subloads, and 2 free Firm tickets per year. I will also be able to purchase up to 8 more per annum "comprising any combination of Cat A Subload and Cat C Firm service charge tickets".

Its all exactly as spelled out in the Staff Travel Manual. As far as I can tell, the Special ticket introduction has not had any adverse effect whatsoever on Retirement Concessions.

7B

Dropp the Pilot
31st May 2014, 10:29
Have you tried to use one of your SRC firms? I think you will find that the opportunities to use them have been cut by about 80%. Who cares about the standby tickets?

Look at any flight or route you may have been counting on using as firm passenger. You will see flights with 200 empty seats but none of them are offered to you.

That is a very large change.